Have you ever been dealt a Royal Flush?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've only had one royal flush playing live poker and it was at pub poker a couple of years ago.

I was the SB and shortstacked. Folds around to me and I pushed with J:spade:Q:spade: hoping to get a call from the BB and either double up or go home. He instantly calls and shows Q:heart:Q:club:. The board came out 9:heart:10:spade:2:diamond: K:spade: A:spade:.

Incredibly lucky, but it really meant nothing given I was playing for shits and giggles.

Unless you are playing Caribbean Stud or Bonus Texas Holdem, I can't see why anyone would want to get dealt a royal flush.

You are not going to make any money from such a hand.

[YOUTUBE]LjKpWrT8X7g[/YOUTUBE]

I had my only royal flush in an online $24+$2 knockout tournament on fulltilt. I had AcKc and flop came Qc 10c 3h. I bet it and got raised, and another player called the raise so I just called. 2d came out on the river and I checked, player behind me bet, 3rd player raised so I shoved all in. They both called and showed Q3 for 2 pair and 8c9c for an inside straight flush draw. Jc came out on the river to give me a ROYAL FLUSH against a STRAIGHT FLUSH and 2 pair. I went on to get 2nd in the tournament.

This is much rarer (about 270000:1):

Texas Hold'em Fixed Limit EUR 2/4 - Table "Sundsvall"

Players(max 6):
vertrix (EUR 40.00 in seat 3)
Hero (EUR 100.00 in seat 6)

Dealer: vertrix
Small Blind: Hero (1.00)
Big Blind: vertrix (2.00)

Hero was dealt: Ad - Ah

Hero Raise (3.00)
vertrix Raise (4.00)
Hero Raise (4.00)
vertrix Call (2.00)

Flop Qs - 9d - 3d

Hero Bet (2.00)
vertrix Raise (4.00)
Hero Raise (4.00)
vertrix Raise (4.00)
Hero Call (2.00)

Turn Qs - 9d - 3d - 7c

Hero Check
vertrix Bet (4.00)
Hero Raise (8.00)
vertrix Call (4.00)

River Qs - 9d - 3d - 7c - 5d

Hero Bet (4.00)
vertrix Call (4.00)

Hero shows: Ad - Ah (a pair of Aces)
vertrix shows: As - Ac (a pair of Aces)

Hero wins: EUR 27.63 split pot (with a pair of Aces)
vertrix wins: EUR 27.62 split pot (with a pair of Aces)
Rake: EUR 0.75

Game ended 2011-03-29 22:53:07 WST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I have ran aces into the other aces about 3 times in my life at Burswood (Im assuming the chances relate to HU poker only, but could be wrong, also, the odds of AA vs AA getting to showdown is much more likely then any random royal flush possible hand getting to see all cards to get there) Most the pots were kinda small (a couple hundred) but the biggest was $1300 total and I was the one that had to fade the redraw when the flop came xxx:diamond::diamond: x:diamond:. River card was red too, but thankfully the right one.

FWIW I really suck at freerolls and negative freerolls. I think I am something like 1 freeroll won for a small pot, and about 7 I can think of that I have lost. I do make up for it though in sucking out with the KK vs the AA though, Im pretty good at that.

Yeah, 9 handed AA vs AA is reasonably common. HU it's pretty freaky.

Off the top of my head isnt the odds only 9:1 less often HU given that we hold two of the aces? And that in AA vs AA we only count it if we hold one of the pairs.

Sorry, im studying and my brain is completely fried at the moment thinking about MIRR's and time value of money. All I know is that im wasting time therefore wasting money sittin on BF lol.

Off the top of my head isnt the odds only 9:1 less often HU given that we hold two of the aces? And that in AA vs AA we only count it if we hold one of the pairs.

That's true, but "OMG I saw AA vs AA at my table today" is 9 choose 2 (or 36) times more common than HU. HU it's the same odds as taking a randomly shuffled pack and dealing four aces off the top.

Sorry, im studying and my brain is completely fried at the moment thinking about MIRR's and time value of money. All I know is that im wasting time therefore wasting money sittin on BF lol.

One of the problems with being a winning online poker player is that it gives all of your free time a $$ value, and hence every activity has an opportunity cost. This is not the same for most normal people.

"I could walk the dog, or I could grind 8 tables for 30 minutes with an EV of $25"

It can be hard to keep life in perspective.

One of the problems with being a winning online poker player is that it gives all of your free time a $$ value, and hence every activity has an opportunity cost. This is not the same for most normal people.

"I could walk the dog, or I could grind 8 tables for 30 minutes with an EV of $25"

It can be hard to keep life in perspective.

Phil Galfond spoke about this where as soon as he became a high stakes winning player and had an hourly rate of $$whatever he found himself somewhere not that enteraining he would get agitated because he considered himself losing money by being there

I think he used an example of sitting at a friends house bored with nothing happening, just for the sake of hanging out. He would see this as losing thousands of dollars because he was putting the hours in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back