How did you become a GWS fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't barrack for them but have moved to Sydney recently and love the way Sheedy has got such a young team playing a tough and physical brand of football. They are easily my 2nd favourite team. I really enjoy watching them, I'm sure that will help you guys win more fans. Look out in 3 years.

Me and missus moved to Canberra from Melbourne and they are officially our second team. Hence why I am occasionally looking at the Giants board - and of course looking forward to the game on Saturday.

]Although with the way the Demons are going...I might be signing up...

I'm from Western Sydney but was never really into AFL until I moved to Melbourne 3 years ago. I then chosed Collingwood as my team but as soon as I got told that Western Sydney was getting a team, I knew I could change once we got in.

I'm from Western Sydney but was never really into AFL until I moved to Melbourne 3 years ago. I then chosed Collingwood as my team but as soon as I got told that Western Sydney was getting a team, I knew I could change once we got in.
That's interesting that you changed team. I wonder if there are many others who have also changed? I guess there must be lots

I was - and to a certain degree, still am - a Swans supporter.

But I decided to support the Giants because I'm from western Sydney, and I also wanted to support the code's expansion up here.

Who do I support in the derbies? Well, originally it was going to be whichever team was designated the home side.

But I've found myself wanting the Giants to win all the derbies - and would love to see us to beat the Swans at the SCG.

So I guess I'm really a GWS fan.

That's interesting that you changed team. I wonder if there are many others who have also changed? I guess there must be lots

A fair few. A number of us still hold on to our original clubs (I'm a case in point), but a lot of the attendees and members last year would have been AFL supporters from other clubs that wanted to see more live games. The percentage of members that weren't previously supporters of other clubs will grow over the next few years.

A fair few. A number of us still hold on to our original clubs (I'm a case in point), but a lot of the attendees and members last year would have been AFL supporters from other clubs that wanted to see more live games. The percentage of members that weren't previously supporters of other clubs will grow over the next few years.

Yep. I am and will always remain a Cats member. But I want to see live AFL and don't want to have to watch the swans - besides, it's difficult to get to the SCG from Penrith, particularly for a night game and with a young son.

I fully expected GWS to be my second team, but it didn't turn out that way and I found myself following them in 2011 with a passion and watching the team come together and grow has only entrenched my support for them. Getting to go to fan days and the feeling of inclusiveness I get with the Giants is something I can never get 800 miles away from the Cats.

My wife's was a lukewarm Lions supporter, mainly because I am one. However she's fully on-board the Giants and has much more engagement with them. Why? Because we can go to games, we can go to player signings, we can go to members' events, etc. It makes a huge difference to the casual supporters to have that kind of interaction.

Coniglio. Watched him play for the swans and knew he was gonna be a superstar. I'm the only giant supporter in my town of 900. Been a member since foundation and own team signed guernsey, medallion, DVD and next purchase is top 10 frame. Go giants!!! Looking to buy a cogs match worn guernsey

Sorry to butt in on this board, but I have wondered about how people became Giant's fans myself. I like the stories of people supporting the Giants because of localitly. I think that's great that you guys are getting behind them. They are a good young team and once they click I think they will do great things.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before but what do you reckon the percentage of Greater Western Sydney supporters are new AFL fans from Western Sydney?

(I'm weird and like odd stats like that.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before but what do you reckon the percentage of Greater Western Sydney supporters are new AFL fans from Western Sydney?

(I'm weird and like odd stats like that.)

There's nothing weird about wanting to know that statistic.

We've just passed 12,000 members, and about 3,500-4,000 of those are from the ACT. Unofficially, our next big target is 10,000 members based in Sydney.

As to what percentage are currently from western Sydney, I just don't know. Maybe half?

There's nothing weird about wanting to know that statistic.

We've just passed 12,000 members, and about 3,500-4,000 of those are from the ACT. Unofficially, Our next big target is 10,000 members based in Sydney.

As to what percentage are currently from western Sydney, I just don't know. Maybe half?

If you think about it though, 8000 odd members from Western Sydney is a great number, especially for a second playing year. I will be interesting too see what happens when the junior supports start coming up the ranks. I would assume the numbers would have some positive fluctuation.

Im still a Don but was very interested when the 2 new teams came into it. Im from Broken Hill (NSW) and dont like the Swans so I just started really following GWS this year but have kept an eye on them since they started. Also love Sheeds and followed him willingly to GWS lol

I'm a Melbourne Demons supporter. Moved to Sydney 3 years ago. Couldn't go for the Swans!!! And thought I'd buy a GWS membership so I could 1) support AFL here in NSW and 2) go to games.
Went to about 6 games last year, and been to two so far this year and watch nearly all on FoxFooty.

This year has been hard though compared to last year

I'm not a GWS supporter/member as such, but I'm really hoping they do well. A strong presence in Western Sydney is a wonderful thing for any code of football, and the fact that they are playing a hard, aesthetically pleasing brand of football even at this stage is fantastic - to tap into a tough market the best of the code must be produced consistently, as the Swans have proven (in terms of consistent success).
I'm a Bulldogs member and lifelong supporter but if I lived up in Sydney/Canberra I'd be going every week, for the love of the game and to see GWS mature into a force.

i am and always will be a geelong supporter first and foremost but having moved to sydney in mid-late 2011 and wanting to be able to watch more football live i found myself drawn towards the giants with them being a brand new start up team.

this year i bought a couple of 3 game memberships to support the team/code in this area and plan on upgrading to a season sydney membership next year when i'm around more as this year i'll be on my honeymoon for a couple of months during the season and any more than the 3 games would've been a waste.

i also really love seeing a team come from lowly beginnings and rising to prominence.
the giants play a tough and exciting brand of football which will no doubt auger well for them in the future when they start to develop more both physically and mentally and gel together better as a team.

the giants may be copping some pastings atm but the future will be very scary for the rest of the comp when they start to hit their stride!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back