Jake Carlisle Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints revenge?

Is the Bombers home about to be jabbed by God's syringe? :cool:

02C3AF20-0A8F-48C5-883E-5CD4B8E86A1A.jpg

Storm in a.....

I wonder if the AFL have wind of what WADA are preparing to dish out. Maybe there will be some synergy between the two.
We may lose Jake for 2-4 weeks.
Hopefully if the WADA ban is similar, the two can be served concurrently.

Yes it sucks that the Bombers get off.

And that we lose Jake for 2 games.

But they are 2 games right at the start of a season in which we're not exactly challenging for a flag.

And if those 2 games allow us to look like the responsible good guys, and enhances our reputation and prospects of landing additional sponsorship etc, then it's 2 games well spent IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's not ideal that our big recruit won't be playing straight away but it's certainly not a disaster.

We recruited Carlisle for the long term when we will be in premiership contention, missing a couple of games next year when we probably won't be playing finals is pretty much irrelevant as long as he learns his lesson and doesn't become a repeat offender.

The most disappointing thing is that by handing out a suspension this story gets back in the media again when it should be dead and buried.

I will give him this. He does seem honest about making up for his ****up. Very glad he is starting his pre-season early.

edit, Carlisle interview
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-11-06/carlisle-on-sanctions

I do like the apology at the end.
Yeah the bloke was an absolute knob but i loved how he looked straight down the barrel of the camera at the end and gave what seemed like a very sincere apology.
I think we mightve finally beaten the Essendon out of him :p

GO JAKE
GO SAINTS

It was agreed by all parties that Carlisle would receive a strike under the illicit drug code, this was not him being found "guilty" and Bennell giggling his way to freedom. 1 point to Carlisle in that comparison for accepting that he screwed up and accepting a harder stance, as a critic of him, didn't expect it.

How does one punish Carlisle in a meaningful sense without impacting the club on field?
Rubbing him out in the NAB Cup is tokenism.
Backdating is tokenism.
Financially, his contract was already being removed, what's a bit extra from the AFL?
He had to miss H&A games, only question was how many, 2 weeks will placate the majority, and is more than I was expecting from the AFL if I'm being honest.

Lot of people saying we're screwed but haven't considered that this was negotiated between the Commission, AFLPA (who many considr screwed us over), US, his manager (who many consider screwed us over) and Carlisle (who a few consider functionally moronic). What was expected? Unicorns shitting rainbows?

Is this on top of a potential WADA ban or just rounds 1 and 2?

FWIW I don't think there will be any bans.

Mutually exclusive events. Any potential WADA ban is on top of this suspension as WADA is purely competitive sport PED orientated and generally leave it up to home sporting bodies re recreational use.

I'd also agree that it looks unlikely to be any large bans on players, despite my wish for the alternative to be true.

It was agreed by all parties that Carlisle would receive a strike under the illicit drug code, this was not him being found "guilty" and Bennell giggling his way to freedom. 1 point to Carlisle in that comparison for accepting that he screwed up and accepting a harder stance, as a critic of him, didn't expect it.

How does one punish Carlisle in a meaningful sense without impacting the club on field?
Rubbing him out in the NAB Cup is tokenism.
Backdating is tokenism.
Financially, his contract was already being removed, what's a bit extra from the AFL?
He had to miss H&A games, only question was how many, 2 weeks will placate the majority, and is more than I was expecting from the AFL if I'm being honest.

Lot of people saying we're screwed but haven't considered that this was negotiated between the Commission, AFLPA (who many considr screwed us over), US, his manager (who many consider screwed us over) and Carlisle (who a few consider functionally moronic). What was expected? Unicorns shitting rainbows?

Mutually exclusive events. Any potential WADA ban is on top of this suspension as WADA is purely competitive sport PED orientated and generally leave it up to home sporting bodies re recreational use.

I'd also agree that it looks unlikely to be any large bans on players, despite my wish for the alternative to be true.

So if he got a WADA ban he's out for two weeks longer than other Essendon players?

I'm sure there was an injunction

Injunction or not, you'd think there would still be the articles bemoaning Hawthorn's cultural problems due to the scandals they have been linked to over the years. These general culture-related articles have been written about the Saints for ages now. Carlisle, only a Saints player for a few hours caused a spate of articles from journalists and a media frenzy.... Other clubs get away with so much and hardly have an article written about things or, if they do, the article disappears quickly. Caro's "Perfect storm hits St Kilda" article has been at the top of the footy section of The Age for a week now!!

Melbourne footy journalism is so frustrating when you're a Saints supporter. It is just our lot in life I guess but after years of this crap you get sick of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has handled this beautifully. Transparent, honest and swift. No leaks and no shooting off the cuff. We have come out of this looking like a great destination for any kid looking to grow as a player and a person.

My only criticism is the person who interviewed Jake. Do some friggin practise prior to asking the questions!! The questions sounded like a journo asking the same question in 3 different ways and hoping to get a different answer. I didn't recognise the voice - anyone know who it was?

The club has handled this beautifully. Transparent, honest and swift. No leaks and no shooting off the cuff. We have come out of this looking like a great destination for any kid looking to grow as a player and a person.

Agreed. This whole thing may have ended up a positive for the club. Which is amazing really.

Is Jake able to play for Sandy those 2 weeks or is he standing out of all footy ?

So if he got a WADA ban he's out for two weeks longer than other Essendon players?

Yes.

If all of the Essendon 34 got 2 year suspensions, Carlisle's suspension would be 2 years + 2 weeks, as a WADA suspension is no competitive sport at all, not the agreed "can play NAB challenge and can play VFL/State league" so cannot be included.

Honestly, i think this is going to be a great thing longer term.

It's knocked the dickhead out of him pretty hard, and the saints have made it clear that its all about TOUGH LOVE.

We hate what you did, but you're one of us now, so we will work this out together.

Come March, the only thing that will sting is seeing him kill it in the NAB cup, and then have to sit out the first two weeks.
this is the sort of approach Hawthorn would have taken. Well done SKFC and Jake

Tell you what, Zebs will go into their first two games as favourites.
Sandringham has also picked up a boy called George Burbury. George was picked up at 40 by Geelong and had a string of injuries, playing only 7 games. He had a jaw broken in a tackle. He is a strong forward type and kicks well. He was delisted at a time when Geelong thought they were well covered and then I feel he would have filled a gap that developed. He is now 23 and is still the same player who earned a reasonable draft pick. He might be one to watch for the rookie draft, but he will certainly strengthen Sandy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back