Port Magpies teetering

Remove this Banner Ad

Why all the fuss anyway? They're not the Port Adelaide we all knew, loved and hated. I'm sure power fans who followed the real Port Adelaide into the AFL will tell you the same....won't they?

Besides that, it is a long long way off being the nail in the coffin. Listening to the maggie spokesman (didn't catch his official title), already they are starting to get more promising ideas and possibilities flying around.

What the Port Magpies could do is send a contingent of there high flying white colar crooks they call executives to South Africa and try con some club or there government over there to buy part of the financialy burdened club here.................may have more luck than they did putting there floored merger plan to the SANFL

Ok all crap aside, if the power never joined the afl who would have the magpies gone running to.
How can be an advantage to the magpies merging with the power when both are in serious debt.and for the facts north adelaide did sit and talk to p.a.f.c back in october
RD 3 north vs port at alberton will be an interesting day
Bring it on.........go the Rosters

Get me a bookie quick and some odds of the MERGER of the SANFL and VFL for season 2012.

If the Magpies go under, and if by the 'suggestions' that both West Adelaide and Sturt are in trouble, we could be looking at a 6 team SANFL.

In the VFL it's 14 teams for the next 2 seasons - the 14th team being Gold Coast in 2010 and GWS in 2011.

If Frankston were to go under or Essendon strike a deal to send players elsewhere (instead of the Bendigo Bank Bombers) the VFL will be 12 sides.

SANFL 6 + VFL 12 = 18 team comp in 2012.

I'm willing to put some money on that!

From a Victorian point of view I believe the AFL stuffed up with the 1997 Licence allocation to Port Adelaide.

The fact is the supporters of the other 8 SANFL teams will get behind the crows, while only the 'Magpies' supporters will get behind Port.

They should have called the 2nd Adelaide team... Adelaide Wombats (just using a generic term, switch with any other nickname).

It could have had no historical ties to a SANFL club so supporters of all 9 SANFL teams could choose any one of the two Adelaide AFL teams to follow.

Though a different situation slightly, it works in WA with Fremantle and WCE.

Port Power will always have limited growth because of the historical ties to the Magpies.

Glenelg, Westies and Sturt have had big turn arounds in 2009 financial reports compared to 2008, so don't hold your breath in the SANFL folding. It is possible to "come back from the brink", as North Sturt South have not so long ago.

Have faith Magpies supporters. Tag a mate to join your club. Do everything you possibly can. Not all Magpies supporters live in the "low economic area around Alberton", so if the local Port people have dug as deep as they possibly can, try targetting those you know who can afford it but are relying on others to save the day.

Get me a bookie quick and some odds of the MERGER of the SANFL and VFL for season 2012.

If the Magpies go under, and if by the 'suggestions' that both West Adelaide and Sturt are in trouble, we could be looking at a 6 team SANFL.

In the VFL it's 14 teams for the next 2 seasons - the 14th team being Gold Coast in 2010 and GWS in 2011.

If Frankston were to go under or Essendon strike a deal to send players elsewhere (instead of the Bendigo Bank Bombers) the VFL will be 12 sides.

From a Victorian point of view I believe the AFL stuffed up with the 1997 Licence allocation to Port Adelaide.

The fact is the supporters of the other 8 SANFL teams will get behind the crows, while only the 'Magpies' supporters will get behind Port.

They should have called the 2nd Adelaide team... Adelaide Wombats (just using a generic term, switch with any other nickname).

It could have had no historical ties to a SANFL club so supporters of all 9 SANFL teams could choose any one of the two Adelaide AFL teams to follow.

Port Power will always have limited growth because of the historical ties to the Magpies.
Surely they would have to merge with a Vic side for purely current financiall reasons.
I totally agree with the 2nd side in Adelaide senario however Port Adelaide still have an opportunity to survive in the AFL if they get rid of the brand they are trying so desperately to hang onto and adopt a marketting strategy as a club for all SA.......not just Alberton residence, as you have mentioned for that exact reason limited growth

OK, so I'm a Crows supporter who has been following a composite side for 6 years. BUT, here comes another composite side (The Wombats) so I'll jump off the Crows and support them. Yeah, that would have worked. :rolleyes:

And Port Adelaide's attendances and Memberships are higher than Melbourne, North Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.

OK, so I'm a Crows supporter who has been following a composite side for 6 years. BUT, here comes another composite side (The Wombats) so I'll jump off the Crows and support them. Yeah, that would have worked. :rolleyes:

And Port Adelaide's attendances and Memberships are higher than Melbourne, North Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.
Youve missed the point beenreal........Only Alberton love Port knowone else in the State...........if the Crows opposition was(The Wombats) it gives a better marketing opportunity for a club with the future generation of supporters..........all you have and only will ever have is brainwash techniques used on new borns at Alberton. Hey thats ok but save them for the Magpies in the SANFL not an AFL side that needs many more members and supporters to grow the brand

I'll take every dollar you have and give you 500/1 odds.

Youve missed the point beenreal........Only Alberton love Port knowone else in the State...........if the Crows opposition was(The Wombats) it gives a better marketing opportunity for a club with the future generation of supporters..........all you have and only will ever have is brainwash techniques used on new borns at Alberton. Hey thats ok but save them for the Magpies in the SANFL not an AFL side that needs many more members and supporters to grow the brand

So tell us how many years this new conglomeration is going to have to survive with no supporters until this "new generation" jumps on board?

You over here whining now. Get over it. Port have no one to blame but themselves. And why do and your fellow Port supporters keep bringing up Centrals. So Centrals should be disadvantaged because they have good management. If a club is well run it has a "significant advantage". Typical Port mentality, it's everyone elses fault but your own.

I hope the Port Magpies survive but not at the expense of the 8 clubs. Who the hell do they think they are. Get some of their massive "loyal" supporter base to help them out.

Someone bring on the violins. Everyone is out to get us. Sad, very sad. Funny how you guys are quick to blame everyone else yet you, the fickle Port supporter, is one of the main reasons both clubs are struggling.

Agree Cpt Danger - 100%.

They bit off more than they could chew. No way was the support of 1 SANFL team going to be enough for an AFL team. Had they "branded" the "new" team - and by that I mean the Power, they would not have lost any of the Magpies supporters who they tried luring back with the Creed and 1870 last year. They only needed a tenuous connection to keep them. But by going the whole PAFC thing they alienated anyone else who did not want to follow Port or the Crows. There are shitloads of people here that support Vic teams, who knows, maybe they could have lured them over as well - people that are not quite neutral but don't like the Crows. If I lived in Vic I would adopt a team over there simply so I could go and watch them each week.

As for evryone canning the other SANFL clubs ... why should they give a club that has had 140 years exposure and an AFL team supporter base any more advantages. It is financial mismanagement the last few years and a lack of will by the Port of 1996 to stick to their guns, they wanted in, that was all they cared about then. No-one should be asking those 8 teams to care about them now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So tell us how many years this new conglomeration is going to have to survive with no supporters until this "new generation" jumps on board?
Its right before your eyes.........there called the Power.......just change your brand and chase the new generation........ dump the tradition that has no relevance to AFL and give it back to the SANFL Magpies who rightfully own the tradition, and start a new AFL tradition not solely based at Alberton. That would take some real guts to do, but Im hearing your clubs need help, and some real thought put into survival, so start demanding from your management to come up with some real solutions to generate your fair share of the SA market

Its right before your eyes.........there called the Power.......just change your brand and chase the new generation........ dump the tradition that has no relevance to AFL and give it back to the SANFL Magpies who rightfully own the tradition, and start a new AFL tradition not solely based at Alberton. That would take some real guts to do, but Im hearing your clubs need help, and some real thought put into survival, so start demanding from your management to come up with some real solutions to generate your fair share of the SA market

Perhaps if you actually lived in SA you would know that Port Adelaide already went down that path. All it did was alienate the existing supporter base (the low hanging fruit) while not providing evidence that it was attracting a new breed.

But then again, knowing the facts would diminish your opportunity to sit up North lobbing endless cliches' in our general direction.

Perhaps if you actually lived in SA you would know that Port Adelaide already went down that path. All it did was alienate the existing supporter base (the low hanging fruit) while not providing evidence that it was attracting a new breed.

But then again, knowing the facts would diminish your opportunity to sit up North lobbing endless cliches' in our general direction.

Gee I would have thought a Port supporter would be clutching at any straw that could help them survive..........hopefully the Clubs supporters have some good birth rates over the next few years to boast your numbers

The ties that bind should have been cut at the birth of the Power. End of story. No way would half neutral supporters of the Crows whose allegiances were with one of the other SANFL clubs latch onto Power.

They thought they had enough of a following to be viable in the AFL - obviously they miscalculated that. Whining about stadium deals and blaming the 8 other clubs for the Maggies demise is futile ...we all know where the blame lies. The people who stole the Magpies history are the reason this has happened. Nothing more , nothing less.

The ties that bind should have been cut at the birth of the Power. End of story. No way would half neutral supporters of the Crows whose allegiances were with one of the other SANFL clubs latch onto Power.

They thought they had enough of a following to be viable in the AFL - obviously they miscalculated that. Whining about stadium deals and blaming the 8 other clubs for the Maggies demise is futile ...we all know where the blame lies. The people who stole the Magpies history are the reason this has happened. Nothing more , nothing less.

Refuting one cliche' after another is getting really boring.

1. There are many non Magpie supporters who do barrack for the PAFC.

2. In 11 home games last year, it is documented that the PAFC poured $12M into the coffers of the SANFL, who then "generously" give some $$ back in the form of a "handout". Who is propping up who?

A generic side (The Wombats) if done properly back in 1997 would have worked.

For starters instead of the stupid SANFL having both sides at Football Park, they could have had one team at Football Park and one side at Adelaide Oval. OK we know it's all about gate receipts, but it would have been better for the development of SA football.

Do you think a new generic team v the crows could not get support???

Look next season in the A-League. A new 'generic' Melbourne team is going to set-up to take on the Victory. Of course it will have smaller numbers to start with, BUT unlike the Power, it will have potential for growth.

With the Argument that the Power get bigger crowds that Melbourne, North, Sydney and Brisbane...

Sydney and Brisbane are in non-traditional football states.

Melbourne and North are fighting for supporters in a ten team state (AFL) as opposed to the Crows/Power 2 sides in a state.

Mind you I do believe Melbourne and North SHOULD merge, thus finally allowing a Tasmanian team.

It all comes back to what I said before, do the Power have potential for growth... no.

They cant do that because that would mean taking responsibilty for some of their own failures and poor decisions. It's much easier to be able to blame everyone else.

I'm surprised Port people didn't pick up on this but I counted 9 men walking out of AAMI on Tuesday night. There were 8 rival club directors so who was the 9th guy. If I had to guess I would say CIA.

Refuting one cliche' after another is getting really boring.

1. There are many non Magpie supporters who do barrack for the PAFC.

2. In 11 home games last year, it is documented that the PAFC poured $12M into the coffers of the SANFL, who then "generously" give some $$ back in the form of a "handout". Who is propping up who?

Farcical situations lend themselves to cliches.

1. Obviously not enough -

which leads to ...

2. Again with the stadium deal ....that is getting boring. Same deal as the Crows have ...your point?. Both teams contribute to the SANFL. Not just Port.

In the end you have what you wanted, no Maggies - so cut the "crocodile tears". Just don't kid yourself that by hanging onto the PAFC story is any benefit to you. It's not. In 15 years there will be a whole bunch of kids that have no idea what Magpies/Creeds etc was all about. And neither will they care.

I always had North pegged as a weakish type club but they have won alot of respect in how they have handled this saga. They have acted similar to the way I would have expected the Port Magpies mgmt to act if another SANFL club wanted to setup a similar alliance with the Crows. Good on them.

Farcical situations lend themselves to cliches.

1. Obviously not enough -

which leads to ...

2. Again with the stadium deal ....that is getting boring. Same deal as the Crows have ...your point?. Both teams contribute to the SANFL. Not just Port.

In the end you have what you wanted, no Maggies - so cut the "crocodile tears". Just don't kid yourself that by hanging onto the PAFC story is any benefit to you. It's not. In 15 years there will be a whole bunch of kids that have no idea what Magpies/Creeds etc was all about. And neither will they care.

No it's a fact! And of course the Crows contribute to the SANFL. Last year West Coast posted a profit of $4M+, yet as a similar sized/ demographic club like the AFC posted less than $1M. It's ludicrous!

And personally I want the Magpies to stay!

That's Bulldust, kids love history!

Having left Adelaide in 1994 I am not up to date with all that has occured with PAMFC. But as a person who was involved with the club at a playing level many, many years ago it is sad to see what appears to be the finish of what was a truely great place to be around.

port wanted to piss with the big boys, got there wish.

Lesson is, be careful what you wish for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back