Porter

Remove this Banner Ad

Was never as good in the Carlton side as 2nd ruckman behind Allen as he was when he was the no. 1 guy playing the majority of the match.

While Spider has earned the number 1 spot I think Porter's decline in form has closely matched his demotion to the no 2 ruckman role.

As for the solution I have got absolutely no idea, but I think Porter is the better long term option. He is an AFL standard player and IMO will get better with more game time.

Moomba

I guess it comes down to why he goes missing when used as the backup ruckman. Does it take a while for the blood to get through his body? or is it a mental thing?

As long as Spider is rucking better, Porter will have to be number 2. if it's psychological, then it's something that should have been worked on before now. A couple of Carlton fans told me we'd love Ports because when he's numero uno he plays totally different than when he's backing up Allan. It looks like a similar thing happening with Spider now. I think having both of these big guys in form was what made our first 4 games so competitive, and it's important to get back to that ASAP.

I dont really understand all this talk of him not being able to produce quality football unless he is on the ground for 4 quarters?!?

He is aruckman. As important as they are, they're job is pretty simple and well defined. Jump at the ball, get your hand on it and direct it to your team's advantage. The majority of them have a height advantage over almost every other player (apart from ruckmen obviously) in the league. Taking marks, or at least spoiling opposition players from taking them should be a lot easier than they are for the likes of Adam Simpson, who is by far a better over head mark than Porter.

Maybe he needs to get over the fact he got traded against his wishes and wake up to the fact he is at a new club that wants him and has given him the opportunity to develop into the type of player he wants to be. The sooner he embraces the club, the sooner his form will improve.

The fact is, he hasnt been better than Spider, despite being given preferance for most of the pres-season and the first 2 or 3 rounds, and doesnt deserve to be the number 1 ruckman right now. When he starts having an impact and making a difference the way Spider has been able to, then perhaps it might be justified campaigning for more gorund time for him. Until then, he should take the opportunities given to him, however small, if he is good enough.

I agree that porter should be doing the bulk of the ruck work he is not a person who can come of the ground for 15 mins a quarter.
He is very much like primus a very infashionable ruckman but very effective if he is left to do his job which he isn,t at the moment.

We were winning alot more contests around the ground than in the last 3 games even know spider is playing he is not physically strong enough to that.

Porter is the future along with Drew Petrie.

Goo Roos

The Smiling Assassin

Originally posted by moomba
Was never as good in the Carlton side as 2nd ruckman behind Allen as he was when he was the no. 1 guy playing the majority of the match.

While Spider has earned the number 1 spot I think Porter's decline in form has closely matched his demotion to the no 2 ruckman role.

As for the solution I have got absolutely no idea, but I think Porter is the better long term option. He is an AFL standard player and IMO will get better with more game time.

Moomba

Sorry Moomba - don't agree. Porters decline in form is simply because he is out of form. As Carlos said a ruckman's job is pretty simliar whether you play the full game or a part of the game. If anything having shorter bursts should mean he can get around the ground more....

Originally posted by woosha
We were winning alot more contests around the ground than in the last 3 games even know spider is playing he is not physically strong enough to that.

Because of Porter?

When Spider is on we generally get first chance at the ball at every ball up.

I will agree that Pagan should have started with Porter against Thompson. Spider was not good against him and got killed. If Rehn had of played then Spider would have been the choice.

I think it is good we have the variety of ruckman in Porter and Spider.

I still think Porter was made to look good by a quality Carlton midfield. He will only be good for North when our midfield performs.

i think porter made a reputation for himself with only a handfull of good games i dont think he has any idea where he is tapping the ball so those times he looked good was probably because ratten and camporeale and the likes were good enough to shark the loose ball he just doesn't get enough of the ball to be a good player I know spider doesn't get much either but he is a great tap ruckman.
p.s. i think porter should do the bulk of the ruck work IN THE TWOS

bring in drew

From what I can see Ports is a bit out of form and has always suffered when he plays second fiddle. I have no idea why, but when Allan went down with injury (both in 2000 and 2001) he was brilliant, when he came back he was a liability. So long as Spider keeps playing well then I would consider dropping him. If Spider retires or gets injured, Ports will be your man and he'll do a good job.

Carlos, I can understand your frustration but Mark Porter is the type of guy who tries his guts out in every situation and would be as keen as anyone to embrace the club. Give it time, you have a good player on your books.

I think it's horses for courses. It depends on the match up's that Denis has planned.

Spider has had more game time than Porter so far this year. He has just been the better option.

I'd rather have Porter in the lineup than Corey (I think you'll find that the Carlton supporters would much rather have Porter back).

It's a long season to go.....thing's can and do change.

Originally posted by roofus
I'd rather have Porter in the lineup than Corey (I think you'll find that the Carlton supporters would much rather have Porter back).

Can't disagree there. This is shaping as one of the worst trades in our history, even despite Porter's poor form. I never thought Corey could be this much of a liability. Don't get me wrong, I'm really hoping Corey gets his act together but it's hard to see it happening, and if it does, not for more than a game or two.

I know Porter would be in great form if he was still in a Carlton jumper because Allan has just gone down with an injury.

Well maybe we should give Porter the no.1 rucking position for one week and see if he improves (Eg. this week against Gardiner..)

Because theres no point havin him if we arent gonna use him how we intended him for.. and if we give him alternate weeks as no.1 ruck he'll have his spirits up- and wont be wasted on the bench.. agreed?

I know he prob doesnt deserve it if he cant play no.2 ruck possie.. but it might be the only way to get something out of him until Burton retires..

Go Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back