Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Tackling and Kicking

If you don't want to read an essay please stop reading now and don't worry about commenting. :)

I have been listening to a lot of professional sports people regarding the approach to overcome mental shortfalls in sports.

It has been said that to become professional/elite at any one thing you need to do on average at least 10,000 hours of practice/training... Why?

• The first reason is obvious, if you try something for the first time...you are no good at it...but as you do it more you learn from your mistakes and change your technique.

• The second reason, which is often less well understood, is getting your brain to act independently of thought. You practice a technique until you transfer an action into what we call "muscle memory", (the body appears to automatically perform the action).

I would like to discuss why it is so important to ensure our players develop good techniques and habbits and practice enough to transfer them into the "muscle memory" in terms of tackling and kicking (field kicking and goal kicking) and then keep practicing!

It has been said that in extreme stress, either physically or mentally, the body acts automatically. As much as we all believe, in a stressful situation, that we would all act logically it is not always true. A prime example is aeroplane seat belts. Did you know that in plane crash simulations passengers and pilots often cannot open their seatbelts? This is because for the majority of our lives we travel in cars and are used to the car styled seat belt mechanism. In a highly stressful situation our brains are often incapable of thought, and we resort to what our body has always done and despite the aeroplane seat belt machanisms being very simply...we can't do it when the plane is crashing....Another example is the police officer who practiced for hours disarming his colleague and immediately after the drill he would return the gun back to the man....They would do this for hours, taking it in turns. Later on in a robbery, the police officer disarmed a bandit only to return his weapon to him immediately after...not good!

Where does this leave us?

At the start of the year I heard Mark Williams say that it is not good enough to go out and have kicks on goal...you need to go out and make every kick at goal as if you are kicking after the siren to win the flag. It may be difficult to kick a goal in a home and away match, but after you have won Richmond a flag 1000 times with kicks after the siren it wouldnt be so tough would it?

We are all highly critical of our ability to tackle and kick the footy...We see improvement in weeks after we pay particular attention to it during the week....Sooooo...

Why don't we have experts from Rugby, Judo, Jujitsu whatever...training our guys at EVERY training session???
Why doesn't each player take 100 shots at goal after training whilst all his team mates are throwing things at him, putting him off, making noise???

I am aware that there is only so much our boys can do at training...but until we tackle, tackle, tackle thousands of times at training, tackle every session we will never improve...because inevitably under the stress of playing in big matches (this year see Collingwood/Geelong/Essendon) we will need to tackle automatically, without thought! And obviously the same thing with kicking.

Training structures for close games etc is all well and good, but I would have thought drumming the basics such as tackling and kicking into players would make the result look after itself.

If we get 10,000 hours of tackling/kicking into our group I dare say we would never have to mention it again. Get it done Dimma!

Well thought out and researched & excellent penmanship!
You achieve 85% + you get one of these....
x11873.gif

Oh.... & I agree pretty much with what you have postulated.

Well thought out and researched & excellent penmanship!
You achieve 85% + you get one of these....
x11873.gif

Oh.... & I agree pretty much with what you have postulated.
You need a scinceriod in there somewhere.

but it all boils down to the cattle im afraid couple prime beef we have few young steers but the rest fit for a slaughterhouse im afraid WE are headed in the right direction but will take time. everything comes to he who waits lol im good for a little more waiting 2/3 yrs max. ps your ideas ok our list isn't up to it is all

Thanks for the comments guys. Well I'd hope a lot of our guys would have racked up some hours previously to the AFL system. Whether they reach 10,000 hours or not is a side issue. The intent to knuckle down the basics and ensure that tackling and kicking is practiced daily is what I'm after.

After all, if we become the best tackling and best kicking side in the AFL we will be very hard to beat. Assuming that we are fit enough. The rest should take care of itself. :)

I think we're focusing on the gameplan too much and the fundamentals have dropped off (tackling/contested ball)
Dont think it would have much to do with muscle memory, but I could be wrong.

Tackling is all about your determination and how much pride you have in yourself. You can tell the difference between guys who would die rather than get beaten by their opponents and those who just put in a token effort to look like they are trying fairly easily.

Unfortunately we have too many of the latter and most of our good tacklers are s**t in other aspects of footy.

I reckon with the way our tackling stats are being highlighted we will see an increase in effort on monday (hopefully at least :eek:) but the most important thing will be the playing group realising that that is the standard and making sure it doesn't drop off again.

I think we're focusing on the gameplan too much and the fundamentals have dropped off (tackling/contested ball)
Dont think it would have much to do with muscle memory, but I could be wrong.

I subscribe to this theory.
Top teams do both.... kill the fundamentals + the game plan & then add a third... the execution.
We are not there yet so... KISS it Dimma!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

too tired from study, someone post cliff notes plz :(

We need to practice tackling and kicking in every training session until it becomes an involuntary action. Less on complexities, more on basics.

Time for a rebuttal ;)

1. Muscle memory? This would be more to do with positioning yourself for a tackle rather than the actual technique itself. It's like having a good kick (good muscle memory) but they can't find the ball (don't know where to run). If the problem was muscle memory then we would be positioning ourselves to tackle, but failing with poor technique. Our technique is fine overall. It's the positioning, which is influenced by gameplan.

2. Steve Morris. This guy is A+ for ferocity, attacking the ball, defensive pressure, intimidation, etc... Yet he tackles on average 1.4 times per match this season. I'll repeat that for dramatic effect... Morris - an undisputed hard nut defensive elite mindset warrior - only tackles 1.4 times per match.

Clearly, tackling is not about muscle memory or technique. It isn't about lack of hardness.

It's about our gameplan. Our positioning. Our structures.

And to conclude, I an firmly of the opinion you can't isolate 1 stat and make any significant generalised analysis from it, especially something like tackling which is 1 of many defensive tools teams deploy to win back the ball.

Our positioning isn't optimised for high tackle numbers, but you can't generalise much from this simple fact.

Good thoughtful thread :thumbsu:

We need to practice tackling and kicking in every training session until it becomes an involuntary action. Less on complexities, more on basics.

Agree and disagree somewhat :)

Practice them regularly for the technique, but not to increase the number.

That wouldn't lead to an increased number of tackles. Only an increase in quality. And I guess, therefore, a small increase in tackles from less broken tackles I admit, but that's not our problem - out combined tackles and broken tackles would still be less than most other teams total tackles and broken tackles. Becoming more efficient is like trying to kick with an 80% goal accuracy every week instead of thinking of ways to better deliver the ball inside 50 to lead to more scoring shots.

Either way, we're talking about team positioning and structures.

I think we have other plans in place to win back the ball and force turnovers - out gameplan isn't centred around tackling as the only tool to win back the ball... We rely on other mechanisms.

Does anybody have more insight into what we are doing? Are we setting up for intercept marks, or a slingshot, or forcing their kicks to become changers... If we've sacrificed our tackle numbers then it's because we're trying to focus on something else defensively.

I think you make a good point Top_4_Tiger, if you look at our list I don't think you can say we have an overly soft team. Certainly we have a tougher team than the Dee's who average more tackles per game than us so the gameplan must be effecting the raw numbers in some way.

Still the numbers aren't good enough imo, we average around 20 tackles less than the swans each game which is enormous and shows just how far we are from being a premiership contender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back