Season 2015..

Remove this Banner Ad

OBVIOUSLY THE LAST THING WE WANT AND NEED IN COUNTRY FOOTY IS MORE TALENT!
Had the system been in place a few years ago , I gather Braydon O'Hara would not be playing O&M.
We don't want Adam Schneider as coach , and a couple of delisted saints at Rovers.
Nor would we want to see Stevie J , James Kelly and Matt stokes line up at wang for their home games.( Or is Stevie a 1 pointer , as recruited from Wang? )
Points not the answer to not the real question. A joke
It's easy to criticise, but it's a start. For as long as I can remember the club with the most money usually wins. At least now, they should be putting some effort into developing their juniors. Unless you have a better idea?

OBVIOUSLY THE LAST THING WE WANT AND NEED IN COUNTRY FOOTY IS MORE TALENT!
Had the system been in place a few years ago , I gather Braydon O'Hara would not be playing O&M.
We don't want Adam Schneider as coach , and a couple of delisted saints at Rovers.
Nor would we want to see Stevie J , James Kelly and Matt stokes line up at wang for their home games.( Or is Stevie a 1 pointer , as recruited from Wang? )
Points not the answer to not the real question. A joke

Isnt the idea to reduce spending though?

It's easy to criticise, but it's a start. For as long as I can remember the club with the most money usually wins. At least now, they should be putting some effort into developing their juniors. Unless you have a better idea?

The major folly with the points system is it relies of all leagues being equal. Tallangatta league is a terrific example of a league where money has not ruined the league at all, but it is now bound by the points system despite some clubs being isolated. It's all well and good for the powers that be to say develop the youth and you'll be rewarded, but for a club like Mitta, there just isn't that much youth around and the clubs closer to town in the long term will have a huge advantage.

I don't think this is the case in the majority of leagues and it is common that those with the most and best locals still win .

There will be ways to get around the points system. Some weeks they won't play 5 pointers against weekier sides or just rest players Ross Lyon style. Points systems doesn't mean not spending it just gives someone at a club another job to do. Big rumor is that Chris Newman from Richmond will play at Albury next season. I think Myrtleford and maybe Corowa should be get a few extra points due to location and not having a airpoint close to fly in guys. The big question will be who checks each games points and what is the penalty for going over?

I think the idea of AFL players coming back to their home clubs at no penalty is fantastic. Because they are coming back for the right reasons, not to get big bags of cash but for the love of a club that helped them on their journey.
Anyone else think Jossy's jet should count for 5 points each week?

Will the selection committee have to count up the points each Thursday to make sure they aren't over? What if a player leaves a club for more opportunities, plays in the 2's then gets rewarded with senior selection only to be told he won't fit under the points. I think the whole thing has been rushed. I will be interested to see the finer points and potential loop holes.

Will the selection committee have to count up the points each Thursday to make sure they aren't over? What if a player leaves a club for more opportunities, plays in the 2's then gets rewarded with senior selection only to be told he won't fit under the points. I think the whole thing has been rushed. I will be interested to see the finer points and potential loop holes.
I don't think the elephant in the room is a big bucket of player points!
Given that economies and towns/cities change , maybe it is time the 5 non albury wodonga clubs took their footy and went elsewhere. It would seem the only way to compete is to be in an affluent growing area , or have a sugar daddy ( rumour has that dried up?). Times change. Form a league with yarra , wang x2 , mytl , corowa , benalla. mansfield , euroa.
Possible player points will make it harder for bottom 5 clubs. Poor job opportunities , no uni etc to keep 18 to 24 y.o in town.
i.e club loses its good young players to uni , work , o/s ( and minor league clubs! ) etc. looks to top up with quality players ( if it has some $) from VFL ,SANFL GVL etc , and can't fit in more than 1 or 2

Last edited:
I see Ben Hollands is playing for Wodonga reserves in the finals. I hope they haven't left any kids out to fit him in. I heard they had over 30 to choose from. It's a different situation to Matt Fowler a couple of years ago who was dropped. Hollands played 2 games in the twos when he returned to the club from retirement and then of course played ones like he has done for the last 19 seasons. I just hope that he has considered seriously that lots of poor young guys may be missing out because he wants a shot at twos glory.

I see Ben Hollands is playing for Wodonga reserves in the finals. I hope they haven't left any kids out to fit him in. I heard they had over 30 to choose from. It's a different situation to Matt Fowler a couple of years ago who was dropped. Hollands played 2 games in the twos when he returned to the club from retirement and then of course played ones like he has done for the last 19 seasons. I just hope that he has considered seriously that lots of poor young guys may be missing out because he wants a shot at twos glory.
It's a question that always pops up at this time of year. I would argue that he is giving more guys a shot at glory by helping out and playing 2s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a question that always pops up at this time of year. I would argue that he is giving more guys a shot at glory by helping out and playing 2s.

Agree! This issue comes up every year. Should a coach put out the best team available or the same boys who've done the job all year?

Generally speaking the teams that win the 2's every year have a bunch of blokes who've dropped back or a handful of bushies. In more recent times the 2's is won by a team that has the seniors still in the GF as well, meaning they've got a whole list to pick from.

This years seconds comp in all over, the league should drop the flag off at the Norm Minns sunday. If you get the honour to see them keep your eyes on Sammy Neave #jet

This years seconds comp in all over, the league should drop the flag off at the Norm Minns sunday. If you get the honour to see them keep your eyes on Sammy Neave #jet
What makes you say that? It was only a month ago they lost to Corowa-Rutherglen.

What makes you say that? It was only a month ago they lost to Corowa-Rutherglen.

My view is that a cub has a huge advantage if thier seniors are out. And once they take take care of the Bullys in a virtual home game this week, they wil be the only ones in that situation.
As for your Corowa game arguement, that day they 6 or 7 3rds kids up, now they have been replaced with blokes with seniors experience.

listened to yesterdays game on the radio and sounded like yarra were on top from the get go and pettifer electric only some errant kicking stopped from a big bag and fev did his bit with the old warriors leslie and ednie into everything, will be interested to see what happens at the tribunal with the Holman barnes incident with Holman reported and sent off anyone who was at the game care to share there thoughts on the fracas was there much to be worried about for any yarra players or were the radio commentators a bit over excited by the whole thing?

listened to yesterdays game on the radio and sounded like yarra were on top from the get go and pettifer electric only some errant kicking stopped from a big bag and fev did his bit with the old warriors leslie and ednie into everything, will be interested to see what happens at the tribunal with the Holman barnes incident with Holman reported and sent off anyone who was at the game care to share there thoughts on the fracas was there much to be worried about for any yarra players or were the radio commentators a bit over excited by the whole thing?
Yarra physically imposed themselves on the contest early and it was a procession there after for yarra. North showed no intensity or desire or effort on the day. Midfield got smashed. The sad thing is yarra literally belted up the hoppers and the officials done absolutely nothing about it. Nick holman did land a couple on the chin of drew barns and will no doubt cop a couple.... and I can tell you he done it cause he was feed up with yarra belting blokes of the ball and getting away with it. He had already copped an elbow of craig ednie which split him above the eye and then Barnes flung him to the ground late. How craig ednie didn't get reported for tripping in the last quarter is beyond me. To good yarra but for christ sake stop letting sniping little grubs get away with murder and get rewarded.

Yarra physically imposed themselves on the contest early and it was a procession there after for yarra. North showed no intensity or desire or effort on the day. Midfield got smashed. The sad thing is yarra literally belted up the hoppers and the officials done absolutely nothing about it. Nick holman did land a couple on the chin of drew barns and will no doubt cop a couple.... and I can tell you he done it cause he was feed up with yarra belting blokes of the ball and getting away with it. He had already copped an elbow of craig ednie which split him above the eye and then Barnes flung him to the ground late. How craig ednie didn't get reported for tripping in the last quarter is beyond me. To good yarra but for christ sake stop letting sniping little grubs get away with murder and get rewarded.

Not sure about that version of events. There wasn't any real spite in the game until Holman landed one on Ednie when they were pushing and shoving in front of the new change rooms. Until this happened the game was being played as you would expect in any final. Yarra continued to be first to the ball while the longer the game went on the more North seemed to be concerned with going the player, hence the number of frees including down the field frees Yarra received. Not saying Yarra were not involved in anyway, there always is to and fro, but from what I saw most of the time it was North who were the main antagonists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back