Opinion Small Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Which small defenders would you have in our best 22?

Currently, our backline will look as such with the talls. There's even a possibility of Griffiths.

B: Grimes Chaplin
HB: Rance

This leaves at most four spots, but more likely 3.

Our small/medium defenders are such.
Morris
Ellis
Houli
Batchelor
Vlastuin
Newman
Dea
Helbig
Verrier
Petterd (From intra-club)

I think its fair to say that the only lock is Morris. The likely's are Ellis, Houli, Newman and Batchelor.

As it looks like Newman will be making a push into the middle this year, we are left with those four. However, Dea played 14 games this year, Helbig came straight in when his injury had mended and Vlastuin is our prized top 10 pick. Furthermore, both Verrier and Petterd have been tearing it up this off-season. There is even the possibility that we'll play 4 KPDs, thus shortening the amount of small defenders we can play.

I guess you could say that we could move some of them into different positions, but is there really any room? I mean with Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Tuck, Foley, Grigg, Conca, Newman and Knights, there isn't any space in the midfield.

It's a bit of an amazing yet difficult situation we are in.

How would you go about making all of this possible.

In my opinion, I don't believe Houli is good enough to be a finals player. He provides excellent offensive run but there isn't a defensive bone in his body. I think Vlastuin would be a worthy replacement, and its good to get games into him as soon as possible as well. I would have a back set up of

B: Grimes Chaplin Morris
HB: Ellis Rance Batchelor
I/C: Vlastuin

It gets a bit sticky if Griffiths is added into the side. So for now, he's out of my best 22. I think Batchelor is able to fill his spot.

It's a great problem to have. I don't think knights will play midfield, half fwd/fwd pocket like jake king I think is a better position for him. Ellis will play in the middle this year, had a great season last year and will improve even further. Houli is still best 22 IMO, his attacking run is too valuable and suits our gameplan well.

Id push petterd and dea up the order, theyll get plenty of chances early on, starting this fri

Wasn't meant as an order. I was just writing them down from what came to mind.
It's a great problem to have. I don't think knights will play midfield, half fwd/fwd pocket like jake king I think is a better position for him. Ellis will play in the middle this year, had a great season last year and will improve even further. Houli is still best 22 IMO, his attacking run is too valuable and suits our gameplan well.
Knights has been training with the midfield and has been seen as a wing type who can have some spurts as an inside mid.
I guess we'll see NAB cup.

There is even the possibility that we'll play 4 KPDs, thus shortening the amount of small defenders we can play.

There is also the possibility we'll play Grigg in the ruck.

Probably not a strong possibility. ;)

I think like a lot of sides with depth to choose from, we'll do a fair bit of rotating and viewing. Let's hope some smart best-22 assessments and further development decisions come from that evaluation.

Whatever happens, we're much closer to finding the right balance to our problem of backline run and grunt than we have been at any stage during Newman's career.

Torney, Kellaway and Cameron was the last time we had a finals quality small backline. You can sneak a Chaffey or a Zantuck medium in there as one of a whole unit, but it's all about the core.

Can someone enlighten me- I know Petterd has a whole lot of talent and is a very tricky player but I can't remember if he was known for his courage and toughness.

If yes, then I think after a good NAB series he will thunderbolt into calculations.

I think It will start off with Ellis, Houli and Morris. Based mainly on reputation and 2012 form.

I think Houli and Morris both have significant deficiencies in their games. I like the run Houli provides, but in a big game i have concerns. Agree with MR Houli has no defence, I think clubs will look to expose him one out deep. Morris overcommits and could be found wanting against class small opponents.

I'd like to think it may end up being Ellis, Vlastuin, Petterd interchange Verrier.

It really depends on us using griff or not. If he plays then grimes becomes a medium/running defender who can actually defend. then its 2 more which i suspect will be morris and either houli or a ellis of the bench. If griff isnt playing then its morris and ellis starting.

Can someone enlighten me- I know Petterd has a whole lot of talent and is a very tricky player but I can't remember if he was known for his courage and toughness.

If yes, then I think after a good NAB series he will thunderbolt into calculations.

For his size Lukey, he's a kick-arse tackler...I like moving him to a HBF...
Against us once he had 13 tackles inside 50...That's extraordinary...
If - and it's still an if - this comes off, Blair Hartley gets another raise Benny... :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have Morris (our best lockdown small), Batchelor (can play tall or small) and Houli (provides great drive and kicking out of defence) as our 3 small backs. I think we would also have at least 1 defender on the I/C - for mine that would be Vlastuin (as he hasn't got the tank yet) or Dea who can also play tall or small and has that fanatical courage you want in defenders.

I think Newman will play further up the ground, maybe as a forward flanker or winger where his kicking can be used going forward. His goal kicking should also be taken advantage of as he is a great set shot. Conca and Ellis should both be pushing into the midfield rotation as part of the second tier group this year so should stay away from the backline IMO.

Morris Rance Grimes
Houli Chaplin Batchelor

The above would be a great combination I reckon - Morris, Batchelor and Rance bring the hardness. Chaplin brings leadership, maturity and a big body. Rance, Grimes, Batchelor and Houli can provide rebound and drive out of defence and Batchelor and Grimes can both play loose or tall or small. For mine, a back 6 like this gives us a lot of flexibility and options for match ups going into most games.

I think Batch is the key, he is the most flexible of the smaller defenders in that he can play tall if required, ie Destroyed Hurley last year or can play on the smalls. None of Newy, Morris or Houli can do the same.

With Grimes playing, I cant see Griff getting a game in the back 6.

In a perfect world I would go with,

Morris Chap Grimes
Batch Rance Houli

Houli massively underrated on here IMO.

.B: Morris - Rance - Grimes
HB: Ellis - Chaplin - Batchelor

1. Cant see Dea & Batchelor playing in the same backline too similar
2. Griffiths would make the backline way too tall with Rance,Chaplin,Grimes,Batchelor
3 Houli & Ellis will Rotate through there but i like houli more on the opposite wing to Grigg, Both playing between HB & HF
4. Dea,Houli,Grigg,Ellis,Vlastuin,Batchelor all should be getting time rotating through the midfield to provide support and depth in this area.
5.Delidio,Newman should be played Midfield- Foward, Really need their precise and long kicking to both kick goals and pinpoint passes to our fowards.

B: Morris Rance Grimes
HB: Newman Chaplin Batchelor
INT: Vlastuin Houli

This is the group that I have as our starting backline. Morris and Batchelor get the nod for starting on the ground as I believe they are our most accountable small/medium backs. I have also stuck with Newman on a HBF despite him playing midfield on Friday in the intra-club. The main reason is I rate his kicking as superior to Houlis. With Hardwick liking to use 7 defenders I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Ellis or Conca to float back as cover to allow Newman to get free and set up in the quarterback role. This would also tie in with the plan for Newman to get up the ground a bit more, while at the same time continuing to develop the defensive game of Ellis/Conca.

You can not have players only the interchange who are predominately small defenders it stuffs up midfield rotations massively .
Morris is a certainty whilst I think Grimes will be eased back , playing 2-3 missing one or two , in which time Batchellor will be used .
It is also very likely Vlastuin will be used to rest Houli , whilst I see Griff , Rance and Chaplin playing most weeks .
Ellis and Newman should be used within midfield rotations .
So :
Morris Chaplin Grimes/batch
Rance Griffith Houli / Vlastuin

Which small defenders would you have in our best 22?

Currently, our backline will look as such with the talls. There's even a possibility of Griffiths.

B: Grimes Chaplin
HB: Rance

This leaves at most four spots, but more likely 3.

Our small/medium defenders are such.
Morris
Ellis
Houli
Batchelor
Vlastuin
Newman
Dea
Helbig
Verrier
Petterd (From intra-club)

I think its fair to say that the only lock is Morris. The likely's are Ellis, Houli, Newman and Batchelor.

As it looks like Newman will be making a push into the middle this year, we are left with those four. However, Dea played 14 games this year, Helbig came straight in when his injury had mended and Vlastuin is our prized top 10 pick. Furthermore, both Verrier and Petterd have been tearing it up this off-season. There is even the possibility that we'll play 4 KPDs, thus shortening the amount of small defenders we can play.

I guess you could say that we could move some of them into different positions, but is there really any room? I mean with Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Tuck, Foley, Grigg, Conca, Newman and Knights, there isn't any space in the midfield.

It's a bit of an amazing yet difficult situation we are in.

How would you go about making all of this possible.

In my opinion, I don't believe Houli is good enough to be a finals player. He provides excellent offensive run but there isn't a defensive bone in his body. I think Vlastuin would be a worthy replacement, and its good to get games into him as soon as possible as well. I would have a back set up of

B: Grimes Chaplin Morris
HB: Ellis Rance Batchelor
I/C: Vlastuin

It gets a bit sticky if Griffiths is added into the side. So for now, he's out of my best 22. I think Batchelor is able to fill his spot.
Agree with you M-R, exactly how I would line them up. Houli not out of the picture either

B: Morris Chaplin Grimes
HB: Batch Rance Ellis

I think people underestimate Grimes' lateral movement and closing speed. He is a small forward's nightmare. Not only is he taller than most small forwards, but his agility is very impressive. Not to mention his disposal and decision making is not a weakness at all. He very rarely turns it over. Combine him with Batch, and I don't believe we need Houli in the backline. These two are good, solid defenders, who can also distribute the footy.

I personally would rather see Houli on the wing gut running and pin pointing Jack and Tyrone lace out. I just think the above backline is so versatile and the perfect combination of defence and distribution.

Not sure but I believe I've heard Dea is being groomed for a midfield role?

I could see him as a tagger in the Clint Jones mould. For some reason, he reminds me a lot of K Hunt who I believe has been lined up for a tagging role this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back