Health & Fitness Super rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
ive got the fire in the belly again, id like to lace up the boots for one last hoorah before im too old. You are a long time old as they say!

Has anyone had any experience with the super rules competition?

i understand they play fortnightly - but know not much else.

Can anyone tell me about the general standard of skill, how serious its taken, that type of thing?

Also, anyone body else in here of an age over 34 who might be interested, that lives north east?

I really want the kids to see me play before its all a distant memory.

Bloody hell you're a brave man.

I stopped playing when I was 29 and haven't had the urge to play since. I remember that last season where I was sore after every game, struggled to get out of bed on Sunday and that small thing about doing my hammy 3 times in that year having never done a hammy before.

I'm quite happy to watch footy these days. I still enjoy having a kick when the opportunity (rarely) presents but actually playing? Nope.

I really miss the mateship too, lost a lot of friends over my kids childhood through general inactivity, I've got a little missing wedge that needs filling with football club room banter and general back slapping

When I was at my most lazy as a footballer playing div 7/div 7 reserves, I played footy with some guys who were in their 40s.

I also recall playing u18s against Colleraine in the Western Border Football League before they left the league and running out for them in the reserves after our match was a bloke playing his 600th game.

I have no idea how they managed that.

I guess the good thing about super league is there isn't the annual influx of 17 - 22 year old whippets into the league that make you start to feel old when you see them buzzing around like flies while you're labouring.

maybe back in the day 40 was older! because life expectancy was shorter..

lets just say now 37 might equate to being a spritley 33 year old.. ill run with that.

I also remember being a 16 year old playing snr reserves with the odd 40 year old and they were like grandpas... i definatley dont feel that old. My only real concern is wodnering if im up to scratch ablity wise, i mean if people are still playing 35+ they obviosuly have a certain ability - most plodders have given up way before that age.

Ive always doubted myself which has been an issue.. i guess when you walk up to a new team at age 38 msot people would think this guy can play.. why would he be here otherwise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back