Tac Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

chewy-on-your-boot

Senior List
Suspended
May 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
What is Football Vic doing about the hopeless umpires in the TAC Cup?

This is the finals series and I would have thought we would have the best of the umpires from the entire season, but if they are the best then I have certainly seen the worst throughout the season.

It appears that some players are starting to realise that the umpires are not making decisions and nor are they reporting players, so they are starting to crash and bash knowing they have a good chance of getting away with it.

These hopeless umpires do not control the game. So much so that when an incident occurs they appear afraid to do something to stop it happening again.

They do not make timely decisions. So much so that stacks on the mill are occuring every five minutes.

They do not report or send off players who have obviously transgressed. So much so that the thugs are getting bolder and bolder, instead of being sent off to cool their heals.

They are ignoring loud blatant racial slurs and swearing that everyone else on the ground can plainly hear.

They only prance around and look like umpires.

If you put one of them on a fish hook the fish wouldn't even look at them.

Big packs keep forming every time the ball goes to ground because the umpires take so long to blow the whistle to either pay a free or ball it up. Every player within 20 metres just piles on until the umpire finally does something. The thugs jump in with their knees and then we get a fight.

I have been watching three seasons of TAC footy and I have seen more fights in the last two weeks than for that entire three seasons.

Some ugly incidents in the third quarter last week at Lavington, including headbutting in direct vision of a central umpire, bashing a small player's head into the ground repeatedly in direct vision of a central umpire and a player being punched in the jaw in front of an umpire led to several fights and skirmishes in the last quarter. An alleged racial slur went supposedly unheard.

Footy Vic apparently investigated last week's match and watched the video but nothing was seen because the cameraman stayed with the footy action. No action was taken on the racial vilification because the umpires said they did not hear it. The small guy that was vilified heard it and unfortunately it appears that retribution was extracted later in the game. If the umpires had acted in the first instance then the retaliation would not have occurred.

Today some ugly incidents in direct vision of the umpires went unreported. And the game got dirtier and dirtier towards the finish.

Please Footy Vic, sort out the umpires before someone is seriously injured by a sniper or thug just going in willy-nilly to clean someone up after seeing that the umpires won't make a decision.

The umpires are bad at all Football Victoria levels. Don't dare complain because the boss in there simply says "you don't know what you are talking about because you have never umpired"...great attitude.

I wasn't impressed with them today in the Gippsland v Calder game. I thought they did a bad job there. Even this morning I was at a VFL ressies game and the same sort of substandard umpiring was on display out there. One clear centre square infringement where a player went in off the side before the ball left the umpires hand went unnoticed - that is not good enough.

My favourite are the 50m penalties, the ones that aren't worth 50 in the first place but are paid and the umpire goes about 30m...fantastic.

The worst I have seen all season officiated at a game between Northern and Bendigo a month ago, that was diabolical that performance that day.

It is a difficult one though, in the 2001 TAC Grand Final there was free kick paid after free kick, and that ruined the flow of the game.

Tough balance to get right, but certainly the umpires need to pay more attention to things off the ball (there are three of them!).

what about some of the goal umpirering. today in the second quarter of the Eastern Ranges vs Geelong Falcons clash, Lukas Markovic went for a soccer goal in the goal square after the ball slipped out of the hands of his opponent and he missed the ball by a metre and clamed he kicked the goal, and the ump fell for it when it was clearly not of his boot. unlucky break in the end for him with the broken ankle but that was the worst goal umpirer dission i have ever seen.

In the first game Markovic recieved 2 free kicks in front of goal, IMO neither of them were there

Should have been there today chewy, the umpire assessors were there with their clipboards sitting in a box down the bottom level.

Wonder how they evaluated the games today. FWIW, the first game was decent, the second was terrible.

The umps have been very inconsistent this year. Different interpretations from different umps has seen the players confused and not sure what they can and can't do from week to week. A source of frustration for all I am sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back