Texas

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Banhammer Big House Under 70s
Im going there for the first time in 7 weeks.
Anyone been there? Im talking Dallas and Houston.

I know Dallas is famous for Kennedys slaying.

I use to love Debbie does Dallas but now I have a Debbie of my own.

My son loves Texas Hold 'em and although he doesnt gamble ffrom a money point of view he's absolutely livid he wont be able to play in the States coz hes only 20.

I know they would be George Bush protective.

Im expecting to see a lot of socio-influx problems due to Katrina displacing a lot of people from New Orleans - perhaps only in Houston.

They have some unique lingo for example " y'all"

I would have no idea what or how they call a barbque..... heck Ive fried rabbit on an open fire using a plough disk....not to mention charring a turkey in a Weber someone picked up at a garage sale..and that was Christmas Day

Please tip me on the States:D

I used to live in Houston, and I was in Houston recently and I didn't notice any social problems due to the relocated people from Louisiana. Maybe if you lived there you would notice, but not as a visitor.

Have fun. A lot of people say Houston is a bad spot for a tourist, so I will do my best to make it fun for you.

1. Go to an Astros (baseball) game. The retractable roof stadium in the city is sweet. Unfortunately there is no football or basketball at the moment.
2. Visit the Johnson Space Museum. The original site of "Houston, we have a problem"
3. Check out downtown, incuding the underground tunnels. Virtually a city beneath the city
4. Go to Rice Village. Nice shopping/eating district close to a university. I recommend the famous Gingerman for beer, Two Rows for a sports Bar, Benji's for a great Texas breakfast, and Il Meson for tapas.
5. Other eating experiences not to miss are Cajun food (try a Pappadeaux Restarant and have Gumbo and Shrimp Creole), Mexican/Southwestern (Gudalajaras, Cafe Adobe - a whole new experience compared to Mexican in Australia and don't forget to have a Margarita!). BBQ in Texas is slow cooked, smoked, beef, chicken or sausage. It comes with a unique tangy sauce and is really good. Have ribs.
6. Go check-out the (now defunct) Astrodome - first ever indoor sfootball/baseball stadium, and where they invented Astroturf. It is next door to the massive new retractable roof "Reliant Stadium"
7. For shopping, the Galleria is impressive for its size, but you won't find any bargains. If you want to buy electronics, go to Frys on I45 North.
8. If you have some spare time, take a drive out to Austin and San Antonio. Both excellent spots with heaps to do, but that ae both 3hour drives each way.
9. Its going to be hot! Take your shorts.

Good luck.

redglare said:
I used to live in Houston, and I was in Houston recently and I didn't notice any social problems due to the relocated people from Louisiana. Maybe if you lived there you would notice, but not as a visitor.

Have fun. A lot of people say Houston is a bad spot for a tourist, so I will do my best to make it fun for you.

1. Go to an Astros (baseball) game. The retractable roof stadium in the city is sweet. Unfortunately there is no football or basketball at the moment.
2. Visit the Johnson Space Museum. The original site of "Houston, we have a problem"
3. Check out downtown, incuding the underground tunnels. Virtually a city beneath the city
4. Go to Rice Village. Nice shopping/eating district close to a university. I recommend the famous Gingerman for beer, Two Rows for a sports Bar, Benji's for a great Texas breakfast, and Il Meson for tapas.
5. Other eating experiences not to miss are Cajun food (try a Pappadeaux Restarant and have Gumbo and Shrimp Creole), Mexican/Southwestern (Gudalajaras, Cafe Adobe - a whole new experience compared to Mexican in Australia and don't forget to have a Margarita!). BBQ in Texas is slow cooked, smoked, beef, chicken or sausage. It comes with a unique tangy sauce and is really good. Have ribs.
6. Go check-out the (now defunct) Astrodome - first ever indoor sfootball/baseball stadium, and where they invented Astroturf. It is next door to the massive new retractable roof "Reliant Stadium"
7. For shopping, the Galleria is impressive for its size, but you won't find any bargains. If you want to buy electronics, go to Frys on I45 North.
8. If you have some spare time, take a drive out to Austin and San Antonio. Both excellent spots with heaps to do, but that ae both 3hour drives each way.
9. Its going to be hot! Take your shorts.

Good luck.

And Don't forget to bring plenty of Willie Nelson tunes. He is THE Texan musician. While you are at it, Lone Star Beer it the drink of choice. You might want to brush up on your Spanish as well.

Lastly, log on to www.roadfood.com fro some of the best eateries in Texas.

GED YLE said:
And Don't forget to bring plenty of Willie Nelson tunes. He is THE Texan musician. While you are at it, Lone Star Beer it the drink of choice. You might want to brush up on your Spanish as well.

Lastly, log on to www.roadfood.com fro some of the best eateries in Texas.

I take your Lone Star beer and raise it a Shiner Bock! (or a Corona, depending on how close you are to the border)

If in Houston - for shopping, Galleria was mentioned - but for mine, Katy Mills is the best shopping in the USA. Think of DFO - but multiply it by 30 in size, and add top shelf brands. If buying clothes, this is the place to go.

http://www.katymills.com/static/node624.jsp;jsessionid=azrzT_Rv_eB6U0MNvV

If driving about - be sure you have plenty of quarters on you. No shortage of toll booths in Texas.

Don't forget that bars shut at 1.00am. Did however find 1 place in Houston that stays open until 5am (the name escapes me, but it doubles as a Japanese/Korean restuarant in the early evening and converts into a sleazy nite club later). Reasonably pricy and the only acoholic drink served after 1am is a Cranberry Daquiri. But you do what you have to do;)

Feel free to give Galveston a miss.

Austin is worth a visit. Great indie music scene there and a much smaller city than Dallas or Houston.

Generally friendly people. Don't forget, you're still in the bible belt, and plenty of conservatives about.

If you want to see the real Texas, be sure to get out of the big cities and go on a road trip.

Lidge said:
If in Houston - for shopping, Galleria was mentioned - but for mine, Katy Mills is the best shopping in the USA. Think of DFO - but multiply it by 30 in size, and add top shelf brands. If buying clothes, this is the place to go.

http://www.katymills.com/static/node624.jsp;jsessionid=azrzT_Rv_eB6U0MNvV

If driving about - be sure you have plenty of quarters on you. No shortage of toll booths in Texas.

Don't forget that bars shut at 1.00am. Did however find 1 place in Houston that stays open until 5am (the name escapes me, but it doubles as a Japanese/Korean restuarant in the early evening and converts into a sleazy nite club later). Reasonably pricy and the only acoholic drink served after 1am is a Cranberry Daquiri. But you do what you have to do;)

Feel free to give Galveston a miss.

Austin is worth a visit. Great indie music scene there and a much smaller city than Dallas or Houston.

Generally friendly people. Don't forget, you're still in the bible belt, and plenty of conservatives about.

If you want to see the real Texas, be sure to get out of the big cities and go on a road trip.

Hey Lidge (your namesake has been decidely not "lights out" this season!). Don't most bars stay open until 2am? Also, that restaurant might be the "Blue Water Cafe" or something like that.

redglare said:
Hey Lidge (your namesake has been decidely not "lights out" this season!). Don't most bars stay open until 2am? Also, that restaurant might be the "Blue Water Cafe" or something like that.

Yeah the bars do shut at 2am - but they stop serving at 1am (at least all the joints I frequented).

redglare said:

Thanks for that education - I thought it was invented for the Brady's back yard.

I guess the name should have given it away!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back