TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA is a joke compared to foxtel when it comes to AFL. 9 games live a week compared to three maybe four?

And I find their pregame half time and post game analysis to be more interesting than 7 getting Hame to interview some random kid or BT Darcy and Richo banging their heads together in an attempt to conjure up a coherent thought.

Interesting that I got my PS+ Playstation email for December and they are released a Champions League app that only currently will show classic matches and some matches from this season, no mention of live matches but will be interesting if the EPL follows suit and also creates an app.

Optus after the NRL rights as well:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...g-pressure-on-fox-sports-20151119-gl37ii.html

And the NBN say that Optus' cable network is stuffed and will need to be rebuilt, not sure how this will affect the EPL deal with the NBN now not being able to be launched fully until after 2018 due to the required upgrades:

http://www.afr.com/business/telecom...st-hit-on-aging-optus-network-20151125-gl7eii

Not sure Optus will pay the billion dollars required for the NRL.

Optus after the NRL rights as well:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...g-pressure-on-fox-sports-20151119-gl37ii.html

And the NBN say that Optus' cable network is stuffed and will need to be rebuilt, not sure how this will affect the EPL deal with the NBN now not being able to be launched fully until after 2018 due to the required upgrades:

http://www.afr.com/business/telecom...st-hit-on-aging-optus-network-20151125-gl7eii

I'd assume that by bidding for EPL rights Optus will be required to telecast EPL football live through terrestrial broadcasts, not just streaming.

Otherwise they could have bid for the digital rights by themselves one would think.

A friend of mine was sent this:

Been sent this re EPL coverage next season on Optus
-----------------------

Hi Chris, do me a favour and post this on the Sunday Leagues page, I cant say where I got it from and cant put my name to it

Optus EPL access proposed charging
Recharge $60 on Optus Prepaid and get EPL on a 28 day access pass
Switch to Optus Prepaid and purchase a once only $250 season pass for full EPL access

Take-up a lower value Optus Broadband Plan (under $95) and pay $125 for an EPL season pass

Take-up a lower value Optus Mobile Plan (under $80) and pay $125 for an EPL season pass

Take-up a lower value Optus Broadband Plan (under $95) and pay $15 per month for full EPL access

Take-up an Optus $95 (or higher) Broadband Plan and get full EPL access for free each month and no set-top box costs

Take-up a lower value Optus Mobile Plan (under $80) and pay $15 per month for full EPL access

Take-up an Optus $80 (or higher) Mobile Plan and get full EPL access for free each month and no set-top box costs

A friend of mine was sent this:

Been sent this re EPL coverage next season on Optus
-----------------------

Hi Chris, do me a favour and post this on the Sunday Leagues page, I cant say where I got it from and cant put my name to it

Optus EPL access proposed charging
Recharge $60 on Optus Prepaid and get EPL on a 28 day access pass
Switch to Optus Prepaid and purchase a once only $250 season pass for full EPL access

Take-up a lower value Optus Broadband Plan (under $95) and pay $125 for an EPL season pass

Take-up a lower value Optus Mobile Plan (under $80) and pay $125 for an EPL season pass

Take-up a lower value Optus Broadband Plan (under $95) and pay $15 per month for full EPL access

Take-up an Optus $95 (or higher) Broadband Plan and get full EPL access for free each month and no set-top box costs

Take-up a lower value Optus Mobile Plan (under $80) and pay $15 per month for full EPL access

Take-up an Optus $80 (or higher) Mobile Plan and get full EPL access for free each month and no set-top box costs

Interesting.

"Take up" a plan... surely existing customers will get the same deals (I have a $80 or higher mobile plan with them so this is good for me).

I'm with Vodafone, 12 months to run on the contract. I know you can bail three months early if you upgrade with Vodafone, but not sure how that works with changing telco's if thats the direction I have to go. Hope its not that exorbitant, and that you can watch replays on demand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with Vodafone, 12 months to run on the contract. I know you can bail three months early if you upgrade with Vodafone, but not sure how that works with changing telco's if thats the direction I have to go. Hope its not that exorbitant, and that you can watch replays on demand.

im in the same boat and will be going to internoide, who run through optus. a lot cheaper and get more than what im getting from vodafone.

Wait, so if we want to watch EPL, we have to switch to Optus? That's ridiculous. Im very happy with Vodafone. Ive been with them for as long as I can remember, probably going on 10 years. Im right in the middle of a three contract with them and just upgraded to an S6.

How would I even get out of my contract to move to Optus. I dont want to move to Optus. I just want to watch the football.

This is stupid. It's like blackmail.

I doubt the only way to watch EPL football will be through Optus. The ACCC will be all over that sort of anti - competitive conduct.

What?

I doubt it will be exclusive through Optus too but it won't be because of the ACCC. Optus own the rights. What they do with them is their choice.

What?

I doubt it will be exclusive through Optus too but it won't be because of the ACCC. Optus own the rights. What they do with them is their choice.

If there's any suggestion that Optus are forcing consumers to use their Internet services to watch EPL football I can see the ACCC coming down hard on them.

In a fair market anyone who has a broadband connection should be able to access EPL football being sold on a digital platform.

Which I believe will ultimately happen.

If there's any suggestion that Optus are forcing consumers to use their Internet services to watch EPL football I can see the ACCC coming down hard on them.

In a fair market anyone who has a broadband connection should be able to access EPL football being sold on a digital platform.

Which I believe will ultimately happen.

Have the ACCC come down on Bein for not making their exclusive leagues and cups more accessible?

Have the ACCC come down on Bein for not making their exclusive leagues and cups more accessible?

You can access them through the Internet & through foxtel or foxtel via Optus.

I believe you can use any ISP to access BeIn.

So nothing like Optus forcing you to use Optus broadband in order to access EPL digitally.

I doubt the only way to watch EPL football will be through Optus. The ACCC will be all over that sort of anti - competitive conduct.

How is it anti-competitive? Does Maccas have to let KFC sell Big Macs? o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back