Opinion AFL 2024 Round 10 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns v Cats, Thursday night: The Cats were already weakened by injury, then they pretty much waved the white flag altogether when they rested - um, sorry “managed” - half the side that was available for selection. The Darwin Suns took full advantage in a game that put paid to any idea that high scoring isn’t possible in the Top End.

Swans v Blues, Friday night: Somebody stop us!! Ah never mind, nobody can. I’ve seen enough. Booking business class flights to Melbourne and a penthouse suite somewhere fancy for grand final week with all that moderator money that Chief and Wosh pay me.

Magpies v Crows, Saturday arvo: The poor old Crows do seem to cop a lot of agonisingly close finishes against the Pies. As opposed to the Pies themselves who love to inflict agonisingly close finishes on… well everyone. Another ripper between these two, but I can imagine Crows fans must be wondering when it's their turn to win one.

1716116727386.png

Giants v Dogs, Saturday twilight: This might have looked close-ish on the scoreboard, but 30 scoring shots to 13 tells a very different story. Only inaccuracy stopped it from being a real blowout, and the Dogs aren’t exactly world beaters themselves. Methinks the Giants are in a much bigger hole than people realise at the moment. Watch this space.

Saints v Dockers, Saturday night: Choosing to do very little due diligence in re-hiring an out-of-touch coach who’d spectacularly walked out on them years earlier could go down as one of the worst decisions the Saints have ever made, and goodness knows they’ve made a few shockers. Quickly turning into a basket case of a situation. No wonder only 19,000 fans turned up. Melbourne footy folk know when they’re being sold a dud.

Lions v Tigers, Saturday night: Richmond 2024 is eerily similar to West Coast 2023. I’ve been pretty forgiving of the Tigers given that injury list they’re dealing with, but it would be good to see their few-remaining senior players fly the flag a little more. But anyway, the real question out of this game was did Cal Ah Chee just kick Jamie Elliott out of the front seat of his new car??

1716116624079.png

Bombers v North, Sunday arvo: Ok this is getting real now. The Bombers are second on the ladder. Put your hand up if you saw that coming at the start of the year. No, put your hand back down. Nobody believes you.

Port v Hawks, Sunday twilight: Mark this day down as the first time in my life that I have ever felt sorry for Hawthorn fans. That was an absolutely brutal outcome.

Eagles v Demons, Sunday evening: When the Hawks got overrun late I thought the huge boilover for the round had been avoided, but the Eagles had a huge surprise of their own in store. Think everyone except Melbourne supporters enjoyed watching this West Coast side pull off a well-planned ambush against the more highly fancied Dees.

Liked the Eagles becoming relevant again, crowd hyped up, players cracking in. Makes me want to watch their games.

Learned that teams seem unable sustain a run of form this year.

Hated David King and Jordan Lewis wasting precious oxygen.

Liked the Eagles becoming relevant again, crowd hyped up, players cracking in. Makes me want to watch their games.

Learned that teams seem unable sustain a run of form this year.

Hated David King and Jordan Lewis wasting precious oxygen.
Yeah, we can’t be sure even Sydney will keep up what they’re doing.

If they do, no one’s getting near them unless they kick 9.22 or something like that.

Liked: West Coast's win was really pleasing. Strong and competitive from start to finish. North Melbourne were in the game for a while and didn't really get blown out. Brisbane and Richmond mirrored an iconic match.

Learnt: Sydney are the definitive front runners in the premiership race right now. Only one aberration so far, while several others stumble. According to someone who ran the numbers, Rankine covers roughly 1.7 metres per step at full pace (which seems high for someone his height).

Hated: Adelaide's dreadful team selection again, Adelaide losing again. The current GWS collapse is disappointing. Hawthorn's collapse was terrible, especially in the way they orchestrated it.

Last edited:
So my view is a little biased because the only game i went to this year I saw Richmond take them apart at the G.
I'd love to see what the Tigers ins were compared to now, but yes, Sydney can be beaten, no question about it.

North are the only ones where injuries wouldn't make a difference. In fact, it can only get worse for them this season.

Liked: The Bombers. Been down for too long, looks like Brad Scott has them well and truly on the right track.

Learnt: Season is wide open. The club that falters the least in Aug-Sept will go all the way. 2 clubs have a % over 117 and one of those isn't even in the 8.

Hated: Naismith. Another ACL in the comp. Tigers are getting torn apart with injuries.

Liked:
  • WCE being competitive again and are entertaining to boot

Learnt:
  • I've got no idea what to make of the Dogs. I'm convinced that they are two different teams.
  • GWS are in a spot of bother, the tsunami has been found out and it's up to Kingsley to adapt
  • We're possibly the worst team when in the competition it gets close. No composure and insipid leadership from senior players (excluding Dawson)
  • Good teams find a way to win as unconvincing as it may seem, I'm looking at Port here (don't write them off for the flag)
Hated:
  • A fourth ACL for Naismith

Liked: 6 of the 8 non Vic team recorded wins beginning with the GoCo and ending with the Eagles. Good stuff.

Learned: Took ten rounds but the Melbourne media can now reference the Bloods as a decent team.

Hated: The injury to Sam Naismith, a beloved team man at the Bloods, the Borough and the Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The footy world Saturday, how s**t are Carlton, Geelong, and GWS playing ? Melbourne, " hold my Beer. "
Animated GIF

Liked: Zac Butters last quarter, a side (Port in this instance) getting out of jail with 2 seconds left on the clock, the Weagles win, the competition generally.

Learnt: Harley Reid goes alright

Hated: That it had to end

Liked:
  • Collingwood continuing to bank points whilst other miss.
  • Harley Reid, Harley Reid, Harley Reid.
  • How even the comp is (except for a couple)
Learnt:
  • The game is in a very good place for years to come, with the kids that are playing.
  • Daicos, Reid, Darcy, Ect, all will be stars for a decade.
  • Richmond are talentless, yes they have injuries but they are in for a world of hurt over the next few years.
Hated:
  • Hawthorn. You had one job
  • Injuries. Players like Rankin just make the game more enjoyable when they are playing.

Liked - MY team starting to show some fight and win against a good team, more than just Reid some of the other players like GInbey, Hough, Waterman all having good seasons

Learnt - Sydney will take some beating, my goodness how good is Chad Warner just a beast of a player, so powerful.

Hated - Naismith. Another ACL in the comp. Tigers i feel for them pretty much decimated by injuries, they cant do much when that happens

Liked: The Suns piling on 26 majors. Harley Reid.

Learnt: I seriously give Melbourne and the GWS to much credit.

Hated: The way my team was coached on Sunday arvo. Basically set up to fail and allow PA to win every single clearance in the last quarter.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd love to see what the Tigers ins were compared to now, but yes, Sydney can be beaten, no question about it.

North are the only ones where injuries wouldn't make a difference. In fact, it can only get worse for them this season.
We played Sydney when we were close to full strength. Only major players we were missing were Hopper, Prestia, Gibcus. No surprise we performed really well.

Since then the main outs have been Hopper (other injuries), Taranto, Ross, Lynch, Balta. That's our starting midfield and forward line gone for a big chunk of matches. It's the equivalent of Carlton losing Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Curnow, McKay - they'd be completely ****ed. This isn't to mention all the other injuries to lesser players that further depletes any depth. It's a shitstorm but silver lining is if we bottom out this year, get a couple of really good draft picks and then get a half decent run at it next season I can foresee a quick rebound.

Liked my team getting up and showing fight.

Learnt that the umps didn't blow the whistle to start the clock TWICE in the dying minutes/seconds of the Hawks pa game.

Hated Sam Mitchells last qtr coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back