Competition "What If" Wednesdays - Time Traveller Sneezes Edition: Week 15 - Footscray relocate to Queensland - 1981

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to ...

wiw-ttse.png

Marty McFly has done himself a mischief and has altered the course of Aussie footy in ways you can't imagine!
Get ready to dive into alternate futures!​

What is “What If” Wednesdays?
"What if" Wednesdays was a competition comprised of real-life football team proposals, merger propositions, former teams and a few hypotheticals brought to life by the FJGD community (eg. If the Melbourne-Hawthorn merger went ahead, if University/Fitzroy/Bris Bears stuck around, if Gold Coasts nickname were the Lifesavers etc.) it became this boards longest running competition (8/9/14 – 29/5/19). It has been revived under a meme cultured spin-off! Time traveller sneezes memes are all about butterfly effects on various things caused by a time traveller altering the past by means of a simple sneeze.

What’s new this time around?
This time or these times around, we will be flung into various timelines where our universes former teams, mergers, relocation proposals never existed or had its outcome altered slightly or severely! The list below is comprised of alternate timelines and the butterfly effect caused by our cheeky time traveller. Your job is to envision this outcome! Each comp will run for 1 week and the poll will run for 3 days. The winner picks the next team from the list below or can use their one-time self-imposed idea where they put forward an idea not listed below.

There are some routes you can go by if you're stuck:
  • The chosen team has entered their designated competition in the current year (unless specified) along with the current teams OR
  • You may design kits at any point in time unless strictly specified OR
  • Accompany your kits with a backstory on how the team came to be to help better envision the outcome
  • Use Google to search the history and stories behind what is being altered
Bare minimum for an entry is:
  • A home kit with the front of the jumper showing
    (Back, shorts, socks are optional)
  • OPTIONAL Away kit (Home with white shorts is acceptable)
  • OPTIONAL 3rd kit
    • Clash kit
    • Heritage kit
    • Other kit
  • OPTIONAL Club Logo (Highly Encouraged!)

Let’s see what has happened this time
What-If-TTSE-Title-Week-15.png
Our Timeline: Footscray stay in Victoria
Altered Timeline: Footscray relocate to Queensland in 1981​

Basic Rules (Read Carefully):
  1. Kits and Logo must be in 1 picture (Makes polls easier to fit everything in)
  2. The kits can consist of just a Jumper (Shorts and socks are encouraged to give a full identity effect)
  3. Minimum 1 kit and there's no limit to how many kits you can include after that
    eg. Home and Away and/or Clash and/or Heritage and/or Others
    1. Designing a Home and away/clash kit is highly encouraged for that authentic feel and to develop that alternate universe experience
  4. Attempt to stay close to the altered timeline
  5. Directly copying current football team kits/logos are not allowed
  6. Creating a logo is encouraged but you may take inspiration from and/or alter any existing sports logo to drive home your design.
  7. Maximum 2 entries per person
  8. Any questions at all, please ask!
Specific Category Rules:

Relocations Rules

1. You are only bound by the location the said team is moving to (eg. South Melbourne’s move to Sydney where they changed their kits more reflect the location)
  2. Take inspiration from the location and display that in the kits/logo in as big or as little as you like
  3. Unchanged kits, names and logos will not be accepted

Alternate timeline categories
Bold - Completed with poll results

Mergers
Relocations
  • Saints relocate to NZ
  • Essendon relocate to NT to become Alice Springs
  • Hawthorn relocate to Canberra
  • Fitzroy relocate to Canberra
  • Fitzroy relocate to Brisbane in the 80s (Prior to the Bears existing)
  • South Melbourne relocate to Tasmania
  • South Melbourne relocate to Canberra
  • Fitzroy complete move to North Sydney - 1980
  • Footscray relocate to Queensland - 1981
League transfers
  • West Coast Eagles to the SANFL
  • Brisbane Bears to the SANFL
  • Fitzroy to the SANFL - 1981
  • Footscray to the SANFL - 1981
  • Adelaide Uni to the SANFL - 1991 (cannot use only black and white)
  • Collingwood to the SANFL - 1997
  • East Perth to the VFL - 1980
  • Norwood to the AFL
  • Launceston to the AFL
  • Essendon to the WAFL
New Teams
Colour Corner
Specials
What-if-wednesdays-time-traveller-sneezes-Honour-Roll-Week-15.png

1715686565490.png
It was a major change for the Bulldogs, formerly of Footscray, to relocate to the Sunshine state in the 80s. Design-wise they stuck true to their roots, replacing their red for a deeper maroon and adding a map of Queensland to the front of their jumper. Here is their inaugural uniform modelled by their coach at the time, Royce Hart.

View attachment 1989202
It was a major change for the Bulldogs, formerly of Footscray, to relocate to the Sunshine state in the 80s. Design-wise they stuck true to their roots, replacing their red for a deeper maroon and adding a map of Queensland to the front of their jumper. Here is their inaugural uniform modelled by their coach at the time, Royce Hart.
Bruhhhh, I too changed red to maroon and had XXXX as the sponsor! I'll get mine up soon, mine has an additional change

WIW-TTSE---Brisbane-Bulldogs.png

I know, looks like a Brisbane Lions/Footscray merger but keep in mind, the relocation took place in 1981. The changes the Bulldogs implemented were the red changing to maroon for Queensland and white changing to yellow for the iconic sunshine. Makes you wonder, would the Bears even become a thought about Queensland's 2nd team? Would Fitzroy merge elsewhere?

Bruhhhh, I too changed red to maroon and had XXXX as the sponsor! I'll get mine up soon, mine has an additional change
It's funny cause I also did consider changing the white to yellow as well, or at the very least incorporating it somewhere like the map. Knew I'd have to get in quick to submit it though before someone could beat me to it hahaha. My thought process was if the Swans didn't change their colours at all, the Doggies probably wouldn't have done much beyond the red becoming maroon and maybe still wearing the original colours in Victoria. Really like what you've done though!

Copy of Home (4).png
along with south Melbourne going to sydney in the early 80's, another victorian club relocated north but up to Brisbane, it was heavly pushed that Melbourne move to Brisbane but that was put to bed quickly, fiztory was suggested but thier fans raied enough money to keep them in Melbourne permanently, this, unfortunately, meant that Footscray was encoruged to move they so it was them who would move to brisbane, swapping thier red for maroon and making a maroon base kit

Last edited:
IMG_1657.jpeg

Financial woes forced the Bulldogs to relocate to the sunny climes of Brisbane in 1981. Tweaking their home jumper by reversing the colours and changing the Red to Maroon and adding Gold gave the Doggies a more Queensland feel. In a first for the competition, a team would have an away uniform which incidentally was last season’s kit albeit with a Maroon Bar rather than a Red one. The away would mostly be worn in Victoria so the Old Footscray fans would still see their team in fairly familiar colours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back