Senior Will Ashcroft (2022-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reflecting On The Year Of Ashcroft

MicrosoftTeams-image-2-.png

At a time when Will Ashcroft will find consolation of any description difficult there are two historical facts that offer at least something.

His upcoming knee reconstruction will not be a career-defining moment. Justin Leppitsch blew his knee out four games into his AFL career and went on to play 227 games over 14 years, with three premierships. And more recently, teammates Cam Rayner and Eric Hipwood did likewise in 2021.

As the 19-year-old superstar tries to make sense of the seemingly innocuous incident against Geelong at the Gabba on Saturday afternoon which ended his 2023 season, he may well get a call from Leppitsch, his father’s long-time teammate.

‘Leppa’ was only 17 when he played the first four games of his debut season in 1993 while doing Year 12 at Kenmore High School.

He was left out of the AFL side in Round 5, and instead played for QAFL club West Brisbane in the curtain-raiser to the AFL game oddly enough against Geelong. He ruptured his ACL and was 15 months out of the game but suffered no recurring problems with his knee in a career that stretched to 2006.

Ashcroft awaits surgery and the long rehabilitation that follows having had 398 possessions in 18 games. He’s enjoyed 13 wins, kicked eight goals and can look forward to the Brownlow Medal count with every chance of bettering the 18-game tally of father Marcus, who by chance polled his first three votes in his 18th game.

It’s not unreasonable to say his first 18 games have been the best by a young player in club history.

Numerically, Alex Witherden had more of the football. He had 412 possessions at the same point of a career that now sees him at West Coast, but many of them were from kick-ins. Not hard-earned in the engine room as Ashcroft’s have been.

Nathan Buckley had 402 possessions in his first 18 games with the Bears in 1993. But he’d already won the Magarey Medal as the SANFL’s best player before joining the AFL and turned 21 two weeks before his 18th game. Not a like-for-like comparison.

Will Ashcroft’s 398 possessions is third on this list ahead of Tom Rockliff (389), Cheynee Stiller (372), David Bain (349), Steve McLuckie (340), Dayne Zorko (339), Rhys Mathieson (335) and Matthew Campbell (331).

Marcus Ashcroft had 234 possessions in his first 18 games, while the corresponding numbers for the much-acclaimed had Michael Voss (302), Simon Black (255), Nigel Lappin (209) and Jason Akermanis (A186). Luke Power, the fifth member of this group, had 238 possessions and Chris Scott, winner of the AFL Rising Star in his first season, had 263.

Will Ashcroft’s 13 wins in his first 18 games is a mark bettered only by eight players in Brisbane history. Heading this list is Robert Copeland, who, after losing his first game, won 16 in a row to share in the 2001 premiership and the first four games of 2002. He was 17 wins from 18 games and 20 from 21.

Dylan McLaren won 15 of his first 18 game and Danny Dickfos had 14 wins and a draw. Jamie Charman and Richard Hadley each had 14 wins at the same time along with current teammate Jaxon Prior and ex-teammate Tom Berry, now at the Gold Coast Suns. Equal with Ashcroft are Noah Answerth and Jared Brennan.

Ashcroft will not match Buckley’s 14 votes in his first 18 games. But the AFL coaches votes this year had him ranked the second-best player on the ground in Round 2, when he 31 possessions and a goal against Melbourne, and in Round 7, when he had 28 possessions and two goals against Fremantle.

He also polled with the coaches in Round 10 with 30 possessions and a goal against Gold Coast, so this suggests he will do better than his father’s three votes in 18 games.

For the record, Bain ranks second-best for votes in his first 18 games with eight, followed by Dayne Zorko, Darryl White, Daniel Rich and Matthew Clarke (6), Mark Mickan and Sam Mayes (5), Daniel Merrett and Darren Carlson (4).

Ashcroft Jnr, 19 years 77 days on Saturday, is the clubs’ 14th-youngest 18-gamer. Youngest was Michael Voss (18 years 11 days), Chris Scott (18 years 110 days), Justin Sherman (18 years 206 days) and Harris Andrews (18 years 261 days).

Most goals in 18 games? Laurence Schache (48) had most from John Hutton (43), Daniel Bradshaw (32), Dan McStay (29), Aaron Cornelius (26), Eric Hipwood (24), Patick Karnezis (24), Todd Banfield (21) and Craig McRae (20).

Will should still win the Rising Star in my view - unless a Scheezel or Ownes have at least 2-3 BOG's. Even then, Will has put together a better body of work in my view.

Ashcroft’s stellar year rewarded with 22under22 selection

230326_Will_Ashcroft_22_Under_22_Article_Header.jpg

First year superstar Will Ashcroft’s outstanding AFL season in 2023 has been recognised with selection in the AFL Players Association’s 22Under22 team.

Named on the wing in the star-studded side made up of the competition’s emerging players, Ashcroft collected 76 percent of the fan vote placing him in the top 10 most voted players in the team.

Ashcroft averaged 22.1 disposals with a season-high of 31 against Melbourne at the Gabba, to go along with a goal, to announce himself on the AFL stage and collect a Rising Star nomination to boot.

Brisbane Lions General Manager Football, Danny Daly, said Ashcroft deserved his place in the team.

“Ashcroft has been great for us this season and while it was an unfortunate way for his year to end we look forward to having him back bigger and better in 2024,” he said.

“As a club we are very proud of Will’s achievements and hope it is a sign of things to come.”

Despite a season ending knee-injury against Geelong in Round 19, Ashcroft was able to pack plenty of highlights into his first 19 games at AFL level.

A goal of the year nomination in the Lions Round 7 win against Fremantle as well as an instrumental 30 disposals, seven tackles and goal in the QClash in Round 10.

Ashcroft’s ability to be clean at ground level, strong at the contest and be a one-touch player is what has caught to eyes of fans around the country demonstrated by his selection in the 2023 AFLPA 22Under22 team.

Ashcroft and teammate Darcy Wilmot were both chosen in the original 40-man squad which was chosen by Chair of Selectors, Michael Barlow, and an internal selection panel at the AFL Players’ Association, with support from Champion Data.

From there fans voted for who they believed were the best 22.

Will third in the Rising Star.
Second:

The 2022 NAB AFL Rising Star Voting:

1st place – Harry Sheezel (54 votes)
2nd place – Will Ashcroft (39 votes)
3rd place – Mitchito Owens (33 votes)
4th place – Jye Amiss (28 votes)
5th place – Darcy Wilmot (4 votes)

Second:

The 2022 NAB AFL Rising Star Voting:

1st place – Harry Sheezel (54 votes)
2nd place – Will Ashcroft (39 votes)
3rd place – Mitchito Owens (33 votes)
4th place – Jye Amiss (28 votes)
5th place – Darcy Wilmot (4 votes)
Good to see they got the year right lol

‘Toughest days of my life’: Heartbroken Ashcroft plots resurgent return

They have been “the toughest days” of Will Ashcroft’s life.

Clutching at his knee in agony, forced to come to terms with how a season of so much promise was derailed in a split second, the ordeal threatened to send him into a spiral.

“It all happened so quickly,” the Brisbane Lions rookie recalls of the night his meteoric rise was prematurely cut down.

“I live to play in the big games, the big moments ... it was tough to know it’s going to be a long road ahead, and I was going to miss this finals series.”

Watching on as hundreds of kids became immersed in the Rebels Rookies sporting clinic, taking them through a variety of drills, Ashcroft could not help but be envious.

Leading up to Brisbane’s Round 19 clash against Geelong, the 19-year-old was being touted as the frontrunner for the AFL’s Rising Star mantle.

Averaging 22.1 disposals and 3.6 clearances a game, the midfielder loomed as a major threat for the Lions’ finals campaign.

But in one moment, it all came crashing down. He clutched his knee in agony on the Gabba turf.

Ashcroft went through a variety of stages: immediate concern, unsure of the extent of the damage, followed by heartbreak of the news a ruptured ACL had now stripped him of a maiden finals campaign.

Now, he stands determined to emerge from his recovery phase - typically between nine and 12 months - as a far more damaging prospect.

“I’m improving day to day, it’s been very hard mentally - that night and those days after it were some of the toughest days of my life, to be honest,” Ashcroft admitted.

“Now I’m sort of progressing into understanding the situation and what it is, and now I’m on this path to find the silver linings and positives out of it.

“So I’m just trying to tap into that, make sure my knee comes back stronger than ever and my whole body.

“I’ve got an opportunity to really do some good work, work on my running, work on my muscles, all that sort of stuff, so I can come back in the best shape of my life and be ready in year two and beyond to take my game to the next level.”

Following his knee surgery, Ashcroft remained in Melbourne with his family - including father and three-time premiership winner Marcus.

He needed that time. Unable to get out of his own head, he sought solace in using his setback as a motivator for his loved ones.

Although he was confident he would be able to recapture his form, Ashcroft said in time he would lean on teammates Cam Rayner and Eric Hipwood – each of whom have been felled by ACL injuries in the past.

But he said his family had kept him from wallowing in despair for too long, and would continue to be key in maintaining his positive mental wellbeing as his recovery stretched into months.

Inspiring the next generation

Ashcroft admits to feeling “isolated” in the past month.

Unable to take part in the Lions surge towards the grand final, he has been left to ponder what might have been from the sidelines.

It in part fuelled his desire to take part in the Rebels Rookies program, a clinic that has engaged almost 300 Brisbane kids in a host of sports.

The likes of former Brisbane Broncos winger David Mead and Brisbane Roar A-League Women’s midfielder Hollie Palmer have also taken part, aiming to inspire a new generation of athletes at Coorparoo’s Griffin Park.

“A lot of people get caught up in the video games and staying at home, and they’re not doing stuff outdoors these days, so it’s awesome to see so many eager young kids here participating in all these sports,” Ashcroft said.

While club-based participation has increased - AFL Queensland announcing last month an all-time community record of more than 68,000 players - one leading medical expert believes fewer kids engaging in recreational activity has contributed to a larger number of long-term injuries.

In a study released last year by The Lancet Regional Health, a 20-year investigation into knee injury diagnosis trends in Australian hospitals found a 10.4 per cent annual growth rate for ACL injury incidences among boys aged 5-14, and 7.3 per cent among girls of the same demographic.

Orthopaedic surgeon Dr Steve Lawrie said there had been a worldwide increase in the number of young people falling victim.

He said with fewer youngsters remained active away from club demands, so their bodies were not being taught to withstand the rigours sport can place on them.

“They just don’t have the same number of hours running around kicking a footy, playing cricket on weekends, afternoons and nights, that happened in the past,” Lawrie said.

“When kids were doing those things, they were learning or improving ... they were getting better control, jumping and mucking around.”

Ashcroft the businessman

At just 19, Ashcroft has sought not only to help rectify this problem, but also announce himself as a budding entrepreneur.

He and two partners launched Wash Performance and Wellbeing late last year, with their app released just two weeks ago.

The initiative outlines elite programs, resources and modules for aspiring sportspeople to get the best out of themselves, and live an active lifestyle.

“I think probably four or five years ago I had the idea, and I was pretty fortunate with my dad playing footy and having a lot of knowledge, and mum being in the sporting world and educational world,” Ashcroft said.

“They had a lot of good things to pass on to me and I always had access to great facilities to do my training.

“My thinking was not all kids have that opportunity, and I was in a privileged position, so trying to create this all-in-one app is the goal.”

Ashcroft said having the venture to focus on throughout his rehabilitation had been crucial in keeping his mental demons at bay since injuring his knee.

He said the long-term plan was for the business to develop to the point where his post-playing career was well established.

“It’s pretty good to stay away from footy and out of my own head a bit, invest my time and try to start pushing that out to where we want it to get to.

“It’s been really good for my mental wellbeing; it’s almost practising what you’re preaching in a way.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when is he expected to play ? kid gloves i know but he will be the key

Hmmmm I thought he'd been back running for a while now?

He's definitely done running before. Not sure it's been a linear experience with regards to recovery, but should be back 12 months post injury.

He's definitely done running before. Not sure it's been a linear experience with regards to recovery, but should be back 12 months post injury.
The club has been awfully quiet about his recovery (setbacks perhaps) though but hopefully he is going okay and continues getting the appropriate support of all aspects of his life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back