Woodward and the RWC winning poms knighted

Remove this Banner Ad

Clayton

All Australian
Sep 3, 2003
Guantanamo Bay!
AFL Club
West Coast
what in the blue hell is going on, that goes to show how desperate they were just to win something anything.

Macqueen was a more accomplished & capable coach in my view. just what did Woodward do for Rugby Union to deserve an honour such as this.

Bollocks!

It's not what he did for rugby it's what he did for his country.

I don't see what it's got to do with you how one country chooses to honour it's people.

But the scenes of a load of people out in the cold on the streets of central London showing their gratitude might just show why people thought he deserved to be knighted.

Comparing him with Macqueen is pretty pointless but Woodward turned the whole thing round & he took a team that was used to losing to the big 3 & taught them how to win, as 13 consecutive victories against them proves.

Macqeen came into a set up that was ahead of the English model in terms of professionalism & had recent experience of what it takes to win a world cup.

Added to that Woodward had a distinguished playing career for England where he also won a Grand Slam.

im not questioning how England should honour it's sporting heroes however in my belief an honour such as this should only be made to people that have made several contributions to world ruby and not the entire world cup squad of 36!

Originally posted by Clayton
im not questioning how England should honour it's sporting heroes however in my belief an honour such as this should only be made to people that have made several contributions to world ruby and not the entire world cup squad of 36!

They didn't knight the whole squad.

The ony knighthood was Woodward.

Then I think the assistant coach got an OBE, & I think Johnson & Wilkinson did as well whilst the rest of them got MBEs (or CBEs I can never remember which are higher awards).

I think they got it pretty right.

Personally I'd have liked to see them tell the Prime Minister to stick his honours up his arse until he actually does something for British sport but what cna you do?

ok my bad i was under the impression that the entire squad recieved knighthood.
Ohwell to me he's still the pr*ck that led you guys to a world cup victory over us:mad:

I don't agree with giving honors to the entire squad, I don't agree with giving Woodward the knighthood. But that doesn't mean its not deserved.

Now I believe the 22 men who played on the night should get the honors, not the players who were along for the ride and got only a game against Uruguay.

Also I don't think Woodward should of got Knighted just yet, when he steps down from the top job yes, but not now, because hell we don't know what could happen to him from here on in. For all we know in a years time news might brake that Woodward payed off a ref to help win the final ;)

I know some of you will point out Sir Alex and Sir Bobby, but I believe they had earnt it by then and their ages meant they were going to get it sooner or later, but Woodward isn't their age and done really as much.

All earnt and I'm not disagreeing with that just think it could of at least waited a year or two.

Well as far as I'm concerned a knighthood isn't a long service medal.

It's ridiculous to suggest that Bobby Robson deserves one more than Clive Woodward.

Clive Woodward has not only won the world cup but transformed English rugby Bobby Robson led a shambles of an operation in his 8 years as England manager.

He was absolute crap, didn't qualify for 84 Euro champs, managed to lose to Portugal & draw with Morocco in 86 WC in th group stages before pulling a rabbit out of the hat & beating Poland 3-0, lost all 3 games in Euro 88 the pinancle of the shambles.

Is remembered for the semi defeat in 90, great game but let's not forget that we were outplayed by Belgium & probably should have lost to a buch of natives from Cameroon who didn't have a clue.

As for knighting Ferguson, well there has to be some sort of integrity & dignity attatched to an award like this & when you give it to people like him the whole thing breaks down.

An utterly unpleasant man, who pushes gamesmanship to the limit, is obsessed by how much money he can make & over whom there are question marks over his integrity & honesty in the way that he virtually forced young players at OT to use his son as their agent & also the way that his brother was paid fees for 'scouting' some of the poorer purchases made in Fergie's time at the club.

You give people like him a knighthood then you may as well give them to Lee Bowyer as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back