mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
An article in the latest "Inside Football" discusses who each AFL team could have on the field if zoning was still in force. Here is what they gave us :

B Wanganeen D.Wakelin B.Hart
HB Wellman S.Wakelin Pickett
C Fiora Buckley O'Loughlin
HF Dew Tredrea Burton
F Didak Holland Edwards
FOLL Biglands Ricciuto Francou

INT S.Burgoyne, S.Thompson, L.McCabe, N.Bassett

So what do you think? I must admit when I first saw it and saw we had Buckley and that Francou was still there I thought it was a good side. Then I realised Primus was with Geelong and we would have one of the weakest pair of wing players in the AFL. And Biglands is not a consistantly dominating ruckman. Sure he quietened some potential matchwinners and dominated the odd game, but we would be losing a ruckman who dominated well over half of the games he played in.
The losses of James, Carr, Monty, the Cornes boys and Hardwick would not be offset by the additions of Burton, Wellman, Fiora, Holland, Didak and S.Wakelin.
In any case I would put Shaun Burgoyne on the field in front of Didak.
There are a few pluses, I have always respected Ricciuto's play, Edwards has always been underrated and of course there is Buckley. But the other players are a drop in quality or just maintain the status quo.

Overall, I would say this team is inferior to our current one in about 10 positions and only an improvement in 2.

What zoning basis did they use for the 2 Adelaide based clubs.......

When did Inside Football hit the streets down south......it's normally 4-5 days later up here for some reason - they blame freight but I know that's crap........

I'm assuming they gave us WWT, Port Magpies, Centrals, North and Westies, yeah?

Then where are Camporeale, the other Holland, Chris Ladhams, Peter Vardy, Stuart Cochrane, Broadbridge, Enright, Foster, Che, Peter Burgoyne, Wilson, McLeod...hang on, how did we get Bassett?

Did they assume SA was `drafted' between the Crows and Port?

I also have to ask - who the hell would push Wellman to a flank in favour of Shane Wakelin?

Originally posted by DaveW
You tell me, they're mentioned plenty in your song.
Nah they're not. They got edited out a couple of years back.

Zoning improves a club's capacity to develop juniors in its own area, but in a draft/trade situation, the good clubs excel. Port has always looked to the best, no matter their origins - FN Williams, AR McLean, Bob Kingston, Russell Johnston etc, etc.
Our crosstown rivals seem to believe we have zoning - there is no other explanation for their continual raids on Loserville.

Originally posted by Eddie Woloschek
Zoning improves a club's capacity to develop juniors in its own area, but in a draft/trade situation, the good clubs excel. Port has always looked to the best, no matter their origins - FN Williams, AR McLean, Bob Kingston, Russell Johnston etc, etc.
Our crosstown rivals seem to believe we have zoning - there is no other explanation for their continual raids on Loserville.

Zoning does improve the capacity of a club to develop juniors in its own area, but in todays game where profits are the bottom line, many zones would suffer due to the financial troubles of many clubs. That is probably the reason the AFL has overseen development projects recently. I dont think that zoning will occur again, but if the 10 Victorian clubs feel they are missing out on something, a move to reinstate it will occur.

The 10 Victorian clubs still don't produce enough AFL talent to make up the 62.5% of the league that they take up, so they won't be pro-zoning.

Originally posted by Eddie Woloschek
First of all by "Loserville" do you mean South Australia? :confused:

Adelaide aren't the only club to bias selections towards their home state/area. I like the fact that we retain such a strong SA identity, otherwise we're just another AFL club. Plus it also alleviates homesickness as an issue, although Port seem to cope with this pretty well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Porthos
The 10 Victorian clubs still don't produce enough AFL talent to make up the 62.5% of the league that they take up, so they won't be pro-zoning.
What proportion would Victoria plus Tasmania take up?

First of all by "Loserville" do you mean South Australia? :confused:

Adelaide aren't the only club to bias selections towards their home state/area. I like the fact that we retain such a strong SA identity, otherwise we're just another AFL club. Plus it also alleviates homesickness as an issue, although Port seem to cope with this pretty well.

We generally think of "Loserville" as Woodville-West Torrens......

I think the key to Port not having a problem with home-sickness relates more to the type of person that is recruited........and the families that are used to foster the youngsters - most of them have been looking after country players for years in the SANFL.

Originally posted by dreamkillers
We generally think of "Loserville" as Woodville-West Torrens......

And why is that?
:(

Originally posted by dreamkillers
I think the key to Port not having a problem with home-sickness relates more to the type of person that is recruited........and the families that are used to foster the youngsters - most of them have been looking after country players for years in the SANFL.

Also, the amount of interstaters already here makes it easier for new interstaters to fit in, which is also a big factor IMO.

Originally posted by mic59

Overall, I would say this team is inferior to our current one in about 10 positions and only an improvement in 2.

I'd agree that it's weaker.

And how did they come up with those zones?? How do we get Biglands but not Campo? Buckley but not McLeod?? Junior but not Peter??? No Wilbur, interesting!

Did anyone do any research or did they just slap it together?

What proportion would Victoria plus Tasmania take up?
Hard to say. I did a look at State of Origin qualification about four years back, and Victoria only made up about 55% as I recall. It may well have changed since then.

There are some really weird choices. And some mistakes. For instance, Port are meant to draw from Port Magpies, North, West, Woodville-West Torrens and Centrals but the Crows are given Carey, who played for North at one point. Andy McLeod is nowhere to be seen; I thought maybe he might have played somewhere else before Port but he has been totally forgotten. Peter Burgoyne being left out I cannot understand. Like Eago said; no Campo? He may be a pain in the arse and not the kind of recruiting target for Port but that's not the point of this exercise. Wilbur last played 18 months ago so can't really be considered.
The placings could do with a shuffle too. I'd prefer Tyson Edwards on a back flank, Brett Burton in a forward pocket and Byron Pickett on a forward flank. And Sean Wellman to the central defensive position.

No Pavlich either. I assume he'd qualify being an Eagles boy and might not make the starting 18 but would have to get on the bench(You'd think.I'd certainly put him ahead of McCabe).

Originally posted by Eago77
The Bru!!

Pavlich and Campo aren't bad either, just have to pick the right ones;)

Of course......it's more a baiting term as a lot of my mates down south follow them and still go to their games...........but there haven't been too many good picks direct from the club for the 2 SA AFL sides......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back