Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jonathan Brown

Link

Jonathan Brown sits tight as clubs sweat it out
Article from:
Mike Sheahan
August 19, 2008 12:00am

JONATHAN Brown can play poker for me any time he is available.
Yet another week passes and still no hint whether he will be a "Lion for life", as Brisbane hopes, or continue his career in Melbourne.
In short, Brown, who turns 27 in October, has the choices of staying in Brisbane on a four-year deal or coming home to Victoria.
Presumably to Collingwood, presumably on a five-year contract.
Then again, Collingwood makes lots of offers to lots of big names, most recently Brown, Daniel Kerr and, if the rumour mill is spinning with its usual accuracy, Ben Rutten.
What that says is the Magpies are out there having a crack, as usual, and there's no bigger name than Brown.
Logic says the longer it goes, the more likely it is he will move.
He will be getting asked about his intentions a dozen times a day, and that's got to be driving him mad.
But how can he announce any decision other than "I'm staying" with two rounds and, perhaps, finals still to play?
As we understand it, he is weighing up an offer of $4 million for five years from Collingwood plus the captaincy, against $3 million-plus for another four years in Brisbane.
There's one other possible complication: his relationship with veteran coach Leigh Matthews.
No confirmation from anyone, but that old rumour mill keeps saying there's tension between the two big dogs.
Brisbane Lions chairman Tony Kelly said last night he was unaware of any problem between the coach and the co-captain.
"I'm not aware of any issues," he said.
Kelly remains quietly confident of retaining Brown.
"In a perfect world, you'd love Jonathan to have signed by now, but, by the same token, I'm not uneasy at the moment," he said.
"Would I love him to let me know tomorrow? Absolutely, but I'm not perturbed at this point in time.
"I'm confident that he'll be a Lion for life. Very confident, but there's no guarantees.
"What I can say is there's a real focus on the Lions retaining Jonathan Brown. Jonathan is an extremely important and valuable player.
"Our whole focus is on ensuring he is aligned for life."
Kelly said he was untroubled by what other clubs might or might not be doing.
"I'm not concerned about other clubs. I'm not concerned about what they're offering, or what they're alleged to have offered, or what they're speculated to have offered," he said.
Kelly said he knew nothing more than he had read about Collingwood's reported offer.
While he said there was no timetable, he added: "Logic dictates decision-time's not far away."
He refused to discuss details of the Brisbane offer.
If Brown were to come home to Victoria, Collingwood would be the frontrunner. It has both the inclination and the money.
Carlton obviously is another possibility, but the Blues are believed to be extremely cautious.
Can he stand up for another five years? Could Brownie and Fev co-exist peacefully in the same forward 50? Not sure on both counts.

brown54xf5.jpg

Link

Lethal-Brown 'rift' no sign of the times, says Voss
By Jennifer Witham
9:23 AM Tue 19 August, 2008

FORMER Brisbane Lions captain Michael Voss doesn't believe a reported rift between forward Jonathan Brown and coach Leigh Matthews is keeping the spearhead from re-signing with the club.

There has been widespread speculation that the relationship between the Lions' most prolific player and their almost 10-year coach has become frayed in recent times.

But Voss wasn't reading anything into a possible disagreement between the club's two king pins, and said emotions were probably running high at the Lions anyway owing to their recent dip in form.

"Tensions go up and down, and you can be the favourite player one week and not so favourite the next," he told SEN on Tuesday.

"Those things can be taken with a grain of salt to be truthful because the side has been struggling for probably the last four or five weeks.

"I would have thought players don't always see eye to eye with their coach during those periods."

But Voss said the burden of Brown's uncommitted status to the Lions would be contributing to any anxieties at the club, and believed it was important for the services of the triple premiership player to be confirmed sooner rather than later.

"It is important for the Brisbane Lions to be able to sign up Jonathan Brown, and not just because it's Jonathan Brown; just because he's the leader of the club, spiritually or otherwise," he said.

"He holds the culture in his hands.

"It sucks being the leader, that you hold that, but you do, and everyone else around him is waiting to see what Jonathan Brown does, and a lot of other contracts go on hold until what Jonathan Brown does."

brownsg1.jpg

[youtube]GXE29kwcnZ0[/youtube]

Link

Brown’s brilliant grab nominated
7:01 PM Tue 19 August, 2008

JONATHAN Brown is this week in the running for the Toyota AFL Mark of the Year Award for his brilliant grab on Saturday.
Brown displayed his trademark courage to run back with the flight of the ball and take a strong mark in the goal square.
Lion fans can view and vote for Brown’s mark at www.afl.com.au/markgoal. Voting is open from the Monday after each round through to the following Sunday night.

brownwi8.jpg

Link

Matthews denies any rift with Brown at the Lions
By Simon White
3:10 PM Fri 22 August, 2008

BRISBANE Lions coach Leigh Matthews has flatly denied there is a rift between he and star forward Jonathan Brown, describing speculation to the contrary as “annoying.”
Brown, out of contract at season’s end, is yet to pledge his future to the Lions and there have been suggestions in Melbourne media that all may not be well between the co-captain and his three-time premiership winning coach.
But Matthews maintained he holds a strong relationship with his 26-year-old leading goal kicker.
“I keep reading that (there's a rift). There is nothing in it and Jonathan tells me there is nothing in it,” Matthews said on Friday.
“Players and coaches from week to week have a variety of views.
“But this has been made up to be an on-going permanent thing which I find very annoying – and I know Jonathan finds it very annoying too.
“From my point of view there is nothing in it, but a couple of people keep spreading it. Maybe they’ve got their own agendas.”
Matthews conceded he had initially been at odds with Brown over the Coleman medallist’s participation in the mid-year Hall of Fame Tribute Match – but said there were no lingering hard feelings.
Brown captained Victoria in the match, having missed the Lions’ previous outing with a quad injury.
“We were on a different page that week,” Matthews said.
“My thought was that if you are a little bit sore, don’t play, but he was really desperate to play. That’s nothing.”

leighbrownss8.jpg

Link

Lions star close to contract decision
August 23, 2008 - 11:28PM

Star Brisbane Lions forward Jonathan Brown says a decision on his playing future will be made soon.
The 26-year-old full forward is off contract with the Lions at the end of the year, and has been the target of several Victorian clubs as they try to lure Brown home.
Speaking after the Lion's six-point loss to Carlton at the Gabba, which put an end to the club's finals aspirations, Brown said he was close to making a decision.
"I don't think it's far away to be honest," he said.
"I don't think playing finals or not playing finals makes a difference."
It's believed Brown has been seeking a five-year contract, which the Lions have refused to offer.
Carlton coach Brett Ratten said he would consider Brown if he is out of contract.
"If they're out of contract and there's an opportunity we'll assess any player in the AFL," he said.
"I dare say he's signed. I think he's a fantastic player.
"Like the other players who are out of contract we'll have a look at every list and every player, because at the end of the day teams will trade and we need to know who's out there."

brown108co4.jpg

Link

Brown would suit Pies nicely
Article from:
Jon Ralph
August 23, 2008 12:00am

TRAVIS Cloke said the recruitment of Jonathan Brown would give Collingwood a forward line as powerful as any in the competition.
Centre half-forward Cloke would love the Pies to make a play for Brown, and said he would fit in well with the club's attacking structure.
"Everyone knows how much of a great player he is. If he does want to come to Melbourne, I am pretty sure Collingwood would put their hand up for him, and he would fit pretty well into our structure," Cloke said.
"Hopefully I would get a game alongside him. He would be such an amazing focal point for any team, and there are so many teams looking for a full-forward, let alone a centre half-forward of his ability."
Cloke said Rocca was certain to play next year, but all three talls could work together.
"Anthony will play next year, and we would put Brown in there, and myself and Chris Dawes and Ben Reid. Who knows what our forward line would be like?" Cloke said.
"Not many backlines would be able to line up against us. It would be exciting for all Collingwood fans, and also all football lovers.
"His (Brown's) contract will probably be worked out, but he could become the greatest player ever for the Brisbane Lions, or he could move and be a great player at another club. Who knows?"

brown45zh1.jpg

Link

Brown said the entire team had to take responsibility for the remarkable turnaround. "It's got to go down as a team effort, in the good times and the bad times," he said.
"We all contributed to our downfall, as we all contributed to probably our best quarter of the season in the third quarter."
The Lions now face a similarly out-of-fortunes Sydney outfit in the final match of the year, and Brown said he was determined to end the season on a positive note.
"You obviously want to finish the season strongly, you certainly want to feel better about yourself," he said.
"And Sydney's had the wood over us. So it would be nice to end the season (with a win).
"Sydney have struggled for the last few weeks, so we've got to go down there and really take them on, and test our bodies to see if we have matured against them because they've manhandled us a bit in the last few years."
The big full forward, who has struggled with niggling injuries for much of the season, said there was no chance he would be rested against the Swans.
"I want to get out there and lead the side and make sure we train hard this week and not sulk around the place, set the right example," he said.
An announcement on Brown's future could be made as early as this week, with the off-contract 26-year-old indicating a decision was not far off.

brown72lh7.jpg

The news is a little more optimistic this morning.

Jonathan Brown close to signing lucrative deal

Andrew Hamilton | August 25, 2008 12:00am

Link

JONATHAN Brown is close to signing a new contract and has begun exploring lucrative post-career commercial arrangements that will see him finish his career in Brisbane.

Brown is guaranteed a huge salary wherever he plays and is now looking to the future - yesterday he began a series of meetings with a Queensland-based business leader with strong connections to the Lions, to plan his life after football.

The club will meet his Sydney-based management this weekend, while the Lions are there for Saturday's clash with the Swans.

There is no doubt Brown has received long-term offers of more than $1 million a season from Collingwood and at least one other Victorian club, which must have been tempting.

But he gave hope to shattered Lions fans - who watched their side throw away another chance to secure a spot in the finals on Saturday night against Carlton - when he said he was set to make his decision and declared missing the finals would not be a factor.
Related Links

* Pictures: Round 21 action

"I don't think it's far away to be honest," Brown said.

"I don't think playing finals or not playing finals would have made a difference to the timing."

Brown managed to cut through the gloom of the final-quarter fade-out against Carlton to declare there were signs of improvement, despite the Lions' failure to improve greatly on last year's 10th-place finish.

He said as captain, he would make sure the players shared his determination to finish the season strongly and lay the foundation for next year.

"I want to get out there, lead the side and set the right example," he said.

"We won't sulk around place. When you look back at the season, no doubt there will be disappointment because we could have been a lot higher than what we are.

"We can't just throw it all out the window now. Maybe we will walk away from the season and say, 'What if?', but at least we've got to keep it going.

"We're not an old team so you would have to say we're still improving."

Last year's Coleman medallist and club champion said the team had to accept responsibility for the dismal trend of throwing away leads.

On Saturday, the Blues booted six unanswered goals in the final term to snatch victory.

"It has got to go down as a team effort in the good times and bad times. We all contributed to our downfall," Brown said.

Link

Lions coach confident Brown will stay
August 25, 2008 - 4:10PM

Brisbane Lions coach Leigh Matthews is confident star forward Jonathan Brown will be with the club next year.
The 26-year-old full forward is off contract at season's end and is believed to have been the target of lucrative offers from a number of Victorian clubs as they try to lure him home.
Brown indicated on the weekend an announcement on his future would be made soon.
"I don't think it's far away to be honest," he said.
Asked if he was confident Brown would be a Lion next year, Matthews responded: "It's Jonathan's decision, but the answer is yes more than no."
"I don't know to be honest, but I suspect he will still be here."
The Lions mentor said he had not spoken to Brown about his decision in recent days.
The club is expected to meet with his management team in Sydney later this week, before Saturday's match against the Swans at the SCG.

brown97po1.jpg

Link

Brown's contract is a major domino for other Brisbane players who are coming out of contract, because of the massive sums of money — $800,000 or more — that the champion key forward will command in his next deal. In the event that he chose to leave the Lions, Brown's departure would create a much larger hole in the salary cap for them, and would almost certainly make signing the likes of Rischitelli a formality. Champion midfielder and Brownlow medallist Simon Black is another player in contract negotiations and whose final outcome could be influenced by what happens with Brown.

Brown will meet with his management on Sunday to go through his options, which seemingly comes down to a choice between the Lions or Collingwood.

brown36ea4.jpg

Its hard to know what to believe, and this is just a thought, but do you think there is any link between the recent talk surrounding Brown re-signing with Brisbane and Lethal sowing the seeds regarding the possibility of his leaving?

Its hard to know what to believe, and this is just a thought, but do you think there is any link between the recent talk surrounding Brown re-signing with Brisbane and Lethal sowing the seeds regarding the possibility of his leaving?

Not at all.

Leigh simply answers questions that the media ask him. Don't think there is any seed sowing going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

The inability of the club to convince its premier player Jonathan Brown to commit to a future with it was not reason for the failure to make the finals, Kelly said. "Whether Jonathan had signed earlier, I don't think that impacts on winning or losing a game of football," Kelly said.
"We retain the confidence that Jonathan will re-sign with the Brisbane Lions."

Link

A bad blue to let Brown's contract linger in grey area
August 26th, 2008
SPLITTING THE PACK by Roger Merrett

JONATHAN BROWN and the Brisbane Lions need to take a leaf out of Carlton's book and declare the star forward's future.
Have your say on the feedback form below

Remember not too long ago when Brendan Fevola's name was being plastered all over the media regarding a switch to a rival club?

Carlton and coach Brett Ratten put the acid on big Fev, virtually insisting he make up his mind on where he wanted to play.

Fev subsequently ended all the speculation by committing to Carlton.

That's what Brown and the Lions need to do right now. Make a decision and end all the speculation, because it is hurting Brisbane.

Brown will turn 27 in October. He is reportedly asking for a five-year deal.

But is that a touch unrealistic, as good as the key Lion is? Certainly Brown is a champion, one of the best to ever play centre half-forward. But he has been playing old, if you know what I mean.

His body is clearly hurting from all the heavy knocks he has taken for the cause of the Lions over the years. I can understand Brisbane's hesitancy to agree to a five-year deal because Brown will be 32 when it is over.

I reckon a three-year deal with options is a perfect compromise given the circumstances.

And if Brown stays at Brisbane, then the Lions will surely ease some of his workload and use him like they did Alastair Lynch as he wound down his career -- leaving him one-out in the goal square.

But the Brown issue is one of a couple of problems confronting the Lions, who were ordinary with that last-quarter collapse against Carlton on Saturday night.

brown59oh3.jpg

That's not quite true. Ratten put the acid on but Fev held out and in the end Greg Swann declared that they would wait until the end of the season to finalise contract talks. Then suddenly a contract was signed next week. Also as I understand it, Carlton buckled to Fev's demands and withdrew all behaviour clauses from the contract. Please Brisbane, lets not model ourselves on Carlton.

Ok something i need to get off my skin..

I cant understand why everyone is demanding Browny to declare he is to resign or not.. People have been saying he has put the team off by holding out all year.. He may genuinely not know if he was going to stay or not.. Imagine if he declared halfway through the year that he was going to leave to Victoria at the end of the year..

I mean it could change the entire selection process.. Whats the point exactly of playing a guy who was not going to be there in the long run..

IMO if he was/is seriously considering moving, he has taken the only option by holding his tongue.. The scrutiny he was under by the media about his contract negotiations have been almost unbearable.. Has anyone seen an interview in the last 2 months where his contract has not been mentioned..

Obviously he was/is not totally sold on staying in Brisbane next year.. If he was 100% sure he would have declared to all other teams hands off, i will be playing with Brisbane next year so dont waste your time..

He might be 90% sure, but the kind of bloke Browny is he does not want to promise the Brisbane team and supporters he will be on board next year, to then demand a trade.. Everyone needs to relax i think and let it play out..

:eek: Phew thats better

He might be 90% sure, but the kind of bloke Browny is he does not want to promise the Brisbane team and supporters he will be on board next year, to then demand a trade.. Everyone needs to relax i think and let it play out..

:eek: Phew thats better

I don't think he's obligated to declare his intentions, but I sure as hell can't relax until we hear something concrete!

Link

Biggest signing deal in a decade
Article from:
By Nikki Tugwell
August 29, 2008 12:00am

STRANGE as it sounds, the Brisbane Lions' campaign in Sydney this weekend in which they play their last match of season 2008 - a dead rubber tomorrow night against the Swans - will be one of the most pivotal road trips in their history.
Equally unusual, their most important business will not occur at the SCG but in a restaurant the next day.
In what are the most anticipated contract negotiations of the decade along with those of Chris Judd last year, Brisbane Lions chief executive Michael Bowers and football manager Graeme Allan will meet with Jonathan Brown and his Sydney-based contract manager Glen Warry to thrash out whether their uncontracted superstar co-captain will have played his last game in the maroon, blue and gold the previous night.
Yesterday, most insiders remained convinced Brown will stay at the club in which he won three premiership medallions before his 21st birthday, despite serious consideration being given to returning to Victoria where Collingwood are frontrunners among clubs jostling for his signature.
"I don't think it's far away, to be honest," Brown said at the start of the week of his contract finalisation.
"I don't think playing finals or not playing finals would have made a difference to the timing."
In the past week, the perceived likelihood of Brown staying has gained momentum, with Lions coach Leigh Matthews indicating on Monday he believed it was more likely than not the power forward will remain.
It has also emerged that Brown is exploring post-career commercial arrangements that will see him finish his playing career in Brisbane and that he has met with a Queensland business leader with links to the Lions, to plan his life after football.
As Big V captain, Lions co-captain, club champion and reigning Coleman medallist, Brown is one of the three gold-plated superstars of the competition, along with Chris Judd and Gary Ablett Jr.
A Fitzroy supporter as a kid, he wore Paul Roos' No. 1 guernsey and the Swans - like every other club in the competition - presumably would have made inquiries about Brown.
The all-Australian would not only
answer their prayers up forward, with Michael O'Loughlin and Barry Hall both likely to retire in the next couple of years, but also deliver them a much-needed marquee player and bolster their future leadership stocks.
As it stands, Collingwood have seemingly been the most aggressive club pursuing Brown.
They are believed to have offered him an estimated $4 million for five years as well as the captaincy.
With increasing speculation that Collingwood will pick up Ben Cousins in the draft, the prospect of him delivering the ball into Brown, Travis Cloke, Dale Thomas, Leon Davis, Sean Rusling and Paul Medhurst is a tantalising one for the Pies.
The trade would, however, require two first-round draft picks, or a player such as out-of-favour Alan Didak and their first pick.
A few years ago it was almost inconceivable to imagine Brown anywhere but at the Brisbane Lions.
The same thing, though, could have been said of Judd before he transferred to Carlton.
Brown, as has Judd at the Blues, would have an immediate uplifting impact on younger players at any future team and club as a whole.
If Brown is to stay at the Lions, it is a matter of both parties agreeing on particularly the length of the contract.
Many neutral observers believe, however, that his body beyond the next couple of seasons represents a significant risk.
He turns 27 in October and, as a bang-and-crash centre half-forward, there must be major doubts about his longevity in the sport. This is believed to be why the Lions have been reluctant to offer a five-year or perhaps even four-year deal.
He has had a significantly modified training program and rarely does more than kicking practice once a week, endures long ice-bath sessions and spends hours each week in physiotherapy and in the hyperbaric chamber.
Three areas of Brown's body are reportedly targeted with pain-killing injections before he runs out and plays every week.
Having been hit financially by premiership players whose bodies had crumbled long before their contracts had expired (Justin Leppitsch, Michael Voss and Chris Scott), the Lions would be wary of being left vulnerable again.
As for talk of a rift between him and Matthews, the coach has scoffed at the theories: "There is nothing in it from my point of view and Jonathan tells me there's nothing in it."

brownnf4.jpg

I wonder if the board will come under fire from the membership if they can't get Brown over the line.

I think I'd be (perhaps unfairly) calling for Bowers head on a plate.
If that is the case, it should work both ways. If we keep him, it should be considered a job well done. (Nb: not a comment to you Dog but just generally speaking).

FWIW, if the parties are too far apart and it doesn't work out, I won't be blaming the administration. I remain uncomfortable with the thought of a 5 year contract for a 27 year old with some injury concerns and would be nervous about getting a return on the investment going into years 4 and 5.

If that is the case, it should work both ways. If we keep him, it should be considered a job well done. (Nb: not a comment to you Dog but just generally speaking).

FWIW, if the parties are too far apart and it doesn't work out, I won't be blaming the administration. I remain uncomfortable with the thought of a 5 year contract for a 27 year old with some injury concerns and would be nervous about getting a return on the investment going into years 4 and 5.

The problem is mainly a general public reaction to it. Especially in a city where AFL is not followed as religiously as it is down here. What I am trying to get at is that if we lose Brown people will think it is a complete failure despite it being a failure, IMO, if we sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal. I reckon he'll agree to a 3 year deal with 4th as an option if he plays X amount of games.

I reckon he'll agree to a 3 year deal with 4th as an option if he plays X amount of games.

I think the club is going to have to offer him 4 years flat out. I cant see any other way.

I think the club is going to have to offer him 4 years flat out. I cant see any other way.

It depends on how desperate Brown was for 5 years. My feeling is that he never wanted that long but it was more a bargaining chip. If he really wanted 5 then I'd be worried.

Link

On-field invasions to celebrate ton do no harm
Article from:
Jonathan Brown
August 29, 2008 12:00am

I DON'T know what all the fuss and worry is about over fans running on to the ground to celebrate a player kicking 100 goals.
It is one of the last aspects of football in which the players are "touchable" to the everyday fan and doesn't do any harm.
If Buddy Franklin, two short of his ton, kicks his 100th goal tomorrow night it'll be great to see people young and old run out to savour the moment.
And if Brendan Fevola, eight short of 100, does likewise in the same game it'll be even better.
As a young fella I remember Jason Dunstall, Tony Lockett and Gary Ablett kicking 100 goals and I used to watch the television with envy as fans joined the celebration.
If ever I was lucky enough to kick 100 goals I'd feel robbed if there wasn't a big on-field invasion.
And I certainly can't cop suggestions from ex-St Kilda coach Grant Thomas that the "party" when Fraser Gehrig kicked his 100th goal during a final in Adelaide in 2004 cost them a possible grand final berth.
Football can't afford to lose touch with the fans, and in an era in which the game is getting more and more sanitised it would be wrong to outlaw the celebration of what is and should always remain a special moment.
What are we going to do next? Stop the punters having a kick on the ground after a game?
I hope that never happens either because it's a trademark AFL practice which means a lot to a lot of people, especially kids, and it helps retain that human element.
The 100-goal celebration is exactly the same and lets the fans stay in touch with their heroes.
Sure, security staff will be kept busy at Telstra Dome during tomorrow night's Hawthorn-Carlton game, with Franklin and possibly Fevola to kick their ton, but that's their job.
If anyone steps seriously out of line they should be appropriately and publicly disciplined but don't let a couple of foolish acts - if they eventuate - spoil it for everyone else.
It is a terrific thing and a huge credit to the individuals concerned that two players are a chance to kick 100 goals in the same game in round 22 of the home-and-away season.
At 21, Franklin is a deadset freak and might just be the best athlete football has seen.
Anthony Koutoufides used to be regarded as the prototype modern-day footballer but Buddy is quicker, has superior endurance and better goal-sense to go with terrific natural football ability and instinct.
With the Hawks at the beginning of what should be a good few years he'll kick the ton more than once, and if I was writing this column in 10 years I suspect he'd rank in the top two or three players of all time.
Fev is more of a traditional full forward, with strong hands, terrific pace off the mark and a beautiful kick, and although he's older at 27 he too could kick 100 goals in a season more than once.
That we've got two players in line to kick 100 goals after going 10 years without even one player achieving it is a positive thing for the game.

brownbn2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back