Chris Judd 103
Brett Kirk 80
Jonathan Brown 57
Adam Simpson 40

brown4sq5.jpg

Discussion Thread

Re: Jonathan Brown

Link

Brown labelled Voss and recently retired teammate Nigel Lappin as his inspiration after winning the most courageous award for the second year in succession. He said he had often felt fear on the football field, and nominated the 2003 and 2004 Grand Finals as his moments of doubt.
"At the end of the day all players feel fear," Brown said.
"My most difficult time was no doubt the '03 Grand Final where I got bowled over (by Scott Burns) at the first bounce.
"That was difficult because the whole week you build yourself up for a big game and to be shaken before it's even started really, and then to know the rest of the day is going to be a battle because your legs are wobbly, to be able to fight through that was a good test.
"My biggest test was 2004 when I badly hurt my knee in the preliminary final.
"Just to go through that whole week, normally you would obviously never play but it's a Grand Final.
"To have to go through that whole week, and the mental roller-coaster you are on, has probably been the most challenging week in my footy career from a courage point of view."

brown22pu2.jpg

Link

Brown can consider himself terribly unlucky.

He was overlooked at centre half-forward for Nick Riewoldt and missed a spot on the bench to Matthew Pavlich, despite his statistically superior season to both players having booted 70 goals as a centre half-forward from 21 games.

Although Riewoldt has enjoyed a stellar season and was best on ground in the Saints' semi-final victory over Collingwood on Saturday, his five-goal haul on the weekend took his tally to 62 for the season from 23 games.

But it is Pavlich's sixth selection, at the expense of Brown, that will raise most eyebrows across the league.

The Fremantle skipper led his side to just six wins and his goal return of 67 was shy of Brown's output.

Link

The Lions can also consider themselves unlucky not to have a representative as skipper Jonathan Brown - last year's All-Australian vice-captain - was overlooked even for a place on the interchange bench despite kicking 70 goals during the home and away season, which was just below the 77 he managed last season when he won the Coleman Medal for the first time.

While the choice of St Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt at centre half-forward was well received - considering he was the stand-out player of the second half of the season - and Hawthorn's 2008 Coleman Medalist and century goalkicker Lance 'Buddy' Franklin was an automatic choice at full-forward - Brown's omission was the major surprise.

Carlton spearhead Brendan Fevola - who finished the season with 99 goals - was named alongside Franklin in the forward pocket.

It is not the first time that Fremantle's representation in the All-Australian team has been seemingly out of proportion with its performances as a club with Pavlich named in the team for the sixth time in seven seasons while giant ruckman Aaron Sandilands was named as the back-up ruckman on the interchange bench to West Coast's Dean Cox - who was named in the team for the fourth year in a row.

While Pavlich had another excellent season - his stats of 138 marks and 67 goals for the season were inferior to Brown's 167 marks and 70 goals for the season while he also missed several crucial shots at goal late in games during the season as the Dockers lost ten games by three goals or less.

what an absolute crock of shit.
Riewoldt has a good month-6weeks of footy and that constitutes being the team of the year...

I thought Pavlich probly had one of his weakest ever seasons this year as well.

Link

Brown shrugs off oversight
BY JARED LYNCH
17/09/2008 12:00:00 AM

JONATHAN Brown is not bothered about missing out on 2008 AFL All-Australian team selection, despite several critics rating him a strong chance.The Brisbane Lions joint captain and former South Warrnambool footballer had a statistically good season, booting 70 goals as a centre half-forward from 21 games.
But he was overlooked for All-Australian selection for St Kilda key forward Nick Riewoldt and missed a spot on the bench to Fremantle skipper Matthew Pavlich.
Brown told The Standard yesterday he was not disappointed with the result and said he "didn't deserve" a spot on the arbitrary team.
"I didn't expect to make it," he said.
"It would have been a nice surprise. But it wasn't a year when I walked away and said 'Jeez, I did well'."
Brown praised Riewoldt's selection.
"He was very deserving (of All-Australian selection). He is a terrific player and has had an outstanding season."
Brown earned an All-Australian spot last year at centre half-forward and was also chosen as the team's vice captain.
He is now focusing on a "strong" 2009 season under former teammate Michael Voss' tutelage.

brown24gx9.jpg

Link

Homecoming stirs up memories for Brown
BY JARED LYNCH
17/09/2008 12:00:00 AM

BRISBANE Lions big man Jonathan Brown admitted he felt a tear welling in his eye when he visited his former Warrnambool primary school yesterday.Brown and four other AFL footballers were in the city to hold a skills clinic at St Joseph's primary.
About 300 Warrnambool and district primary school children watched in awe as Brown, St Kilda's Matt Maguire, Western Bulldogs' Scott West, Brodie Holland of Collingwood and Melbourne's Adam Yze revealed the secrets to AFL success.
"I had a tear in my eye when we went past the old school," the Lions' joint captain said.
"I have a lot of good memories here."
The former South Warrnambool player revealed he had a lifelong ambition to kick a footy the entire length of the St Joseph's football oval.
He said he was keen to give it a shot, but time restraints forced him to give the dream a miss.
"When I was in grade 6 I thought it would be fantastic to be able to kick the full distance of the oval.
"I was actually eyeing it off when we came in here."
Former AFL footballer and now commentator Brian Taylor and former Richmond coach Danny Frawley hosted the event, which included giving the pupils a glimpse of Aussie Rules' Holy Grail -- the 2008 premiership cup.
Brown ran a goalkicking workshop with the children.
Warrnambool Primary School pupil Lachlan Trigg, 9, said the AFL star met his expectations.
"It was excellent. It was really good," he said.
"I really like it (participating in Brown's workshop) because I like kicking goals."
Lachlan's classmate Tahlia Agnew, 10, agreed and said the day was "really fun".
The players visited the city as part of Toyota's All-Star Megaclinic Tour.
They held a workshop in Colac in the morning, before pulling into Warrnambool then heading to Hamilton.
Brown said he loved visiting schools and seeing the smiles on children's faces.
"I remember when I was at school and (Fitzroy and Sydney Swans player) Paul Roos came to visit," he said.
"I thought that was pretty cool and it has stuck in my mind."
Warrnambool Toyota dealer principal Garry Askew was pleased the players were able to visit the city.
"Over the years we have had the AFL cup and Brownlow medal come down, but to see the kids' faces when they see the actual players is wonderful," he said.
"We were really pleased to be able to do this."

brownfn4.jpg

Brisbane Lions big man Jonathan Brown was back where it all began.

2008 Brownlow:

Round 1 West Coast - 1 vote
Round 4 Port Adelaide - 2 votes
Round 9 St Kilda - 3 votes
Round 10 North Melbourne - 3 votes
Round 17 Richmond - 1 vote

Brown finished equal 28th with 10 votes. It was his worst year in 4 years after polling 17 in 2007, 13 in 2006 and 11 in 2005.

brownhw5.jpg

probably due to sharing the load a lil more this year with bradshaw you think grim ?

certainly wasn't a bad year from browny. wasn't a stellar year, but not bad. can't kick 70 goals from CHF in 21 games and have a bad season

probably due to sharing the load a lil more this year with bradshaw you think grim ?

certainly wasn't a bad year from browny. wasn't a stellar year, but not bad. can't kick 70 goals from CHF in 21 games and have a bad season

I don't think it was because of Bradshaw, it's just that he was a bit below his best. When Brown is in top form he dominates, and apart from a few games after the HOF match, he never really did that this year.

2008 Brownlow:

Round 1 West Coast - 1 vote
Round 4 Port Adelaide - 2 votes
Round 9 St Kilda - 3 votes
Round 10 North Melbourne - 3 votes
Round 17 Richmond - 1 vote

Brown finished equal 28th with 10 votes. It was his worst year in 4 years after polling 17 in 2007, 13 in 2006 and 11 in 2005.

Wasn't the 13 votes in 2006 from only 10 games? He kicked about 30 goals too. I think he led at the halfway mark of the Brownlow. He had such a cracking start to that year, if only he didnt get injured - I had visions of a Coleman/Brownlow double.

I think Browns best form this year was about the middle of the year - he got 3 votes for the Saints and North game and was our best player in the losses to the Bulldogs, Melbourne and Richmond. Unfortunately the team fell away and Brown wasn't able to get any delivery, let alone quality delivery.

I still rate him as the best player in the comp and I'm pumped for his 09 as sole captain and 4 glorious years ahead of him under the tutelage of Voss.

It was sad that he injured his knee in the North game, he was untouchable that night. He had that springy, bow legged gait that he gets when he's at peak. I don't think he was quite the same after that.

Brown is a gun, Bradshaw is a gun, imagine how many goals they would kick if they saw more of the ball this year and it was delivered with more accuracy. Bring on an improvement in skill and ballwinning in 2009 and we might see both our boys hit the 90 goal mark each if they stay fit!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jonathan Brown

It takes me back to 2001 when the Brisbane Lions were in exactly the same situation heading into the grand final against Essendon – the up-and-comers looking to knock off the defending premiers who were supposedly on the verge of a dynasty. I was only 19 and the youngest player in the game so it was a massive thing for me, and I was really grateful for one piece of advice from coach Leigh Matthews.
He told the entire playing group to live in a fishbowl – to enjoy the excitement of grand final week, to embrace the occasion and all that goes with it, but not to let it affect you. And we did that pretty well.
Even when we were 14 points down at halftime we were very calm because we had confidence in our game plan and our ability to overrun the defending premiers.

brown23mt2.jpg

Anybody here think Brown and Bradshaw might work better as a combination if they both led out from the goal square. Free up the space in front of both of them, like hawks do with Franklin. One leads right, the other left.
Although for it to work our delivery from the midfield needs to be much better no doubt. We need one or two decent forward crumbers too.
I just get a little annoyed in some of the games this year, Browny was trying to inject himself into the game( when were getting pumped), gathering his possessions in the midfield and sometimes at half back as well.
Just a thought, i might be way off the mark with this one.

Anybody here think Brown and Bradshaw might work better as a combination if they both led out from the goal square.

They do this quite often actually. I think the commentators even pointed it out in the Carlton game at the dome. You can't stop the opposition dropping men back though.

what an absolute crock of shit.
Riewoldt has a good month-6weeks of footy and that constitutes being the team of the year...

I thought Pavlich probly had one of his weakest ever seasons this year as well.

Brown's season > Pavlich's season, IMO.

Brown's season was underrated. What was it, 70 odd goals, and not playing as the main goal kicker in a side that missed the finals?

Having said that... try to watch a few more games, mate.

From rounds 13-22 Riewoldt was BOG in every game bar the Collingwood one, when he split the webbing between his fingers. Deserved AA CHF.

But Christ, Browny could've slotted in there somewhere. :confused:

i dont think you could make browny play out of a goal square, he loves being a true chf too much, and its how he works by running his opponent into the ground.

brownshaw have worked very well this year, we just need to get the rest of the structure right. get the small crumbers to play up the field a lil more to give the 2 big guys room and then they can drop back with the ball to get front and center of the contest with the ball coming in if needed.

3rd qtr vs carlton showed what happens when we win the ball in the middle and get the clearances, and by getting that area back into form will get our forwards more and better quality ball coming in.

id like to see a good midfielder come in and see power spend time back as a forward like 5 years ago. with brennan spending more time in the middle and the other young guys we should be able to free power up for this role. he can deliever good and has great goal sense and will provide some more experience in the forward crumbing department

Brown's season > Pavlich's season, IMO.

Brown's season was underrated. What was it, 70 odd goals, and not playing as the main goal kicker in a side that missed the finals?

Having said that... try to watch a few more games, mate.

From rounds 13-22 Riewoldt was BOG in every game bar the Collingwood one, when he split the webbing between his fingers. Deserved AA CHF.

But Christ, Browny could've slotted in there somewhere. :confused:

i know Riewoldt had a pretty decent season and ALSO deserved a spot in the AA side, just have my maroon shaded sunnies on...

Link

Last year’s winner Jonathan Brown ranked his maiden Club Champion award higher than any other individual honour he has achieved so far in his football career.

“Most AFL players rate winning their club Best and Fairest higher than any other individual award because the coaches are the ones that vote on it and they are the ones that best understand your functions and your roles,” Brown said at the 2007 event.

“Sometimes you could have a bad game in the eyes of the media, but in the coaches eyes you might have done your role – whatever it might be.”

Only two Lions players have ever been awarded a ‘perfect five’ since the voting system was introduced – Jonathan Brown (four times) and Jason Akermanis (twice).

Brown most recently received the maximum votes last year from the match committee for his near faultless ten-goal performance against Carlton at the Gabba.

The powerful centre half-forward is likely to again be among the top contenders for this year’s award together with a host of fellow high-profile team-mates and some potential surprise packets.

Brown took more marks than any other Lions player this season (167), finished fourth in the AFL’s goal-kicking tally with 70 and had the third most goal assists at the Club The 26 year-old has already been honoured as captain of Victoria and received the AFLPA’s Most Courageous Player award for the second consecutive season.

brown46sp7.jpg

I wonder what sort of pre-season Browny will undertake.

Do they just nurse him through to get his body right, or push him a bit to get some run into his legs.

I've also heard it mooted that he should lose some bulk and become a bit leaner to prevent stress injuries.

Link

Brown wins second Merrett-Murray Medal

11:00 PM Sat 04 October, 2008

BRISBANE Lions co-captain Jonathan Brown is a dual Merrett-Murray Medallist, taking out the club's best and fairest award for the second year running.

Brown, 26, played missed only one match for the Lions in 2008, kicking 70 goals predominantly from centre half-forward and leading the club with 167 marks.

He won a tight race for the Merrett-Murray medal ahead of fellow co-captains Simon Black and Luke Power.

Brown also took home the Lions’ best forward award for the second year in a row.

The awards cap an exceptional season for the bullocking man from Warrnambool. He received the 2008 AFL Players' Association Most Courageous Player award and captained Victoria in the AFL's Hall of Fame Tribute Match in May.

2008 Merrett-Murray Medal top ten:
1. Jonathan Brown - 53.5
2. Simon Black - 51
3. Luke Power - 46.5
4. Daniel Bradshaw - 43.5
5. Jared Brennan - 42
6. Michael Rischitelli - 41
7. Joel Patfull - 39.5
8. Joel Macdonald - 38.5
9. Travis Johnstone - 31.5
10. Jed Adcock - 29.

brownhj3.jpg

Jonathan Brown has won his second straight Merrett-Murray Medal

Link

Jonathan Brown again Lions best and fairest
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
By Damien Stannard
October 05, 2008 12:00am

EVEN when he is not at his best, Jonathan Brown remains king of the Lions.

The Brisbane Lions co-captain was last night crowned best and fairest for the second consecutive year at the club's end of season presentation dinner at the Brisbane Convention Centre.

Brown was a surprise winner over midfielder Simon Black, who for the second time in as many weeks finished runner-up in a best-and-fairest count.

Black, a runner-up in the Brownlow Medal count to the Bulldogs' Adam Cooney, was the favourite to win his fourth Merrett-Murray Medal.

But he was beaten into second place by the star centre half-forward who was last month voted the AFL Player Association's most courageous player.

The Lions match committee awards each player in each game a rating between zero and five. Brown won with 53.5 points from Black on 51, Luke Power (46.5) and Daniel Bradshaw (43.5).

Brown's performances this season did not match his stellar form of last year when he won the AFL's Coleman Medal, club best and fairest and All-Australian selection.

Yet he was still dominant, kicking seven bags of five goals or more. The 26-year-old, who also took out the best forward gong, played in 21 matches, booted 70 goals and grabbed 167 marks.

brownrx5.jpg

Jonathan Brown and Kylie Adamson at Brisbane Lions Club awards at the Convention Centre where Brown was named the club's best and fairest player of 2008.

2008 Merrett-Murray Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back