Past Jonathan Brown #1 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jonathan Brown

Link

It was the first senior best and fairest (for the Roosters in South Warnambool) for Tim Brown, who is the younger brother of Brisbane Lions star Jonathan."He didn't win one (at South)," he said of the three-time premiership player, who took out the Lions' top honour this season.
"He only won a junior one because he left when he was 17 or 18. No doubt he'd win one now if he came back though."

brown19ko4.jpg

Link

Co-captain Jonathan Brown and his sweetheart Kylie Adams will get the ball running when they tie the knot at the Gabba today, followed by a reception at the Pineapple Hotel.

A true romantic, Brown will take his new bride to the US to watch boxing for their honeymoon.

browncq1.jpg

Have just seen JB + Kyles getting married on Ch7 news..

Unfortunately I was looking away at just that moment, my husband called out, I looked back just to see them smiling at the camera!

He looked as handsome as ever, and she looked gorgeous..

Just wish I saw more of it..:(

Good luck to them and lots of love and happiness:thumbsu: (and baby boys:D)

Link

Lion king Jonathan Brown shows his pride on wedding day
Article from:
sm_sundaymail.gif

Hannah Martin
October 26, 2008 01:00am

BRISBANE Lions AFL co-captain Jonathan Brown wed his long-time sweetheart Kylie Adams at a star-studded ceremony in Brisbane's east.
The pair married at the St Peter and Pauls' Catholic Church, Balmoral.
The couple had been dating for seven years. They met during a celebratory night out after a game.
A nervous groom arrived at the church flanked by Lions teammates Tim Notting, lifelong friend and best man Mike Beadsley and cousins Sean Mugavin and Marcus Picken.
Adams wore a pure-white gown by local designer Wendy Makin, with a beaded strapless bodice and floor-length veil.
Ex-coach Leigh Matthews attended, along with high-profile players including Jamie Charman, Simon Black, Luke Power and Daniel Bradshaw. New coach Michael Voss was also at the wedding.
The traditional ceremony was followed by a reception at the Lions home ground, the Gabba, and the pair plan to leave for a United States honeymoon tomorrow.

brownlk6.jpg

Very best wishes to Jonathan and Kylie for a long and happy life together - and what a handsome couple they make.

Link

Brown named Lions Captain

10:45 AM Mon 27 October, 2008

Vodafone Brisbane Lions 2008 and 2007 Club Champion Jonathan Brown has been officially appointed Club Captain effective immediately.

Brown will perform the skippering role solely for the first time after spending the past two years as Co-Captain alongside fellow inspirational Co-Captains Simon Black, Luke Power, Nigel Lappin and formerly Chris Johnson in 2007.

The 27 year-old's strong leadership accomplishments already include being named 2007 AFL Players' Association Best Captain, Vice-Captain of the 2007 All-Australian team and Captain of the successful Victorian team in the AFL's Hall of Fame Tribute Match in May this year.

These leadership credentials are in addition to his crowning as the AFL Players' Association Most Courageous Player for the past two seasons, his 2007 Coleman Medal and dual Best & Fairest and Best Forward Awards with the Lions.

This sole captaincy decision is part of the Football Department's extensive review process in preparation for 2009 under new Senior Coach Michael Voss and his revamped coaching panel, departmental structure and player management.

Michael Voss is widely known as a firm believer in the sole captaincy model, having led the Lions to a hat-trick of Premierships himself during his six-year reign as stand-alone skipper from 2001 to 2006.

Voss had spent the previous four seasons as Club Co-Captain with full forward Alastair Lynch from 1997 to 2000.

Voss felt that Brown was the ideal candidate as Lions Captain and the Board of Directors and senior Club management supported his recommendation unanimously. The Lions believe appointing Brown as Club Captain provides the most streamlined and inspirational leadership model to return the team to AFL Finals action in September.

Former Co-Captains Simon Black and Luke Power fully support the Senior Coach's and Club's decision and will continue displaying their long-time champion qualities and seniority within the team's Leadership Group which does not feature vice-captaincy roles.

The entire Brisbane Lions AFC congratulates Brown on his captaincy and pledge their support and best wishes for Season 2009 and beyond.

brown152mt1.jpg

Some other tidbits:

Link

Voss said Brown would be club captain effective immediately in line with their first day of pre-season training.

Link

Voss felt that Brown was the ideal candidate as Lions captain and the board of directors and senior club management supported his recommendation unanimously.

Well done to Brown on Captaincy and Marriage, big week for him.

Now he just needs to get to work on the father/Son:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Brown, who married long-time girlfriend Kylie Adams over the weekend and will jet off for a US honeymoon this week before joining his team, said the new standards were a continuation of the expectations put in place by Voss and co. during the heady glow of Brisbane's premiership years.

"I think Vossy and the leadership group back in the premiership years put in some very good standards and we've been able to carry that through. I don't think any sporting club in Australia can say they've been a pack of angels but I think our brand, the players have been very conscious of that," Brown said.
"Over the last couple of years the playing group has already been pretty strong on player discipline and those sorts of issues. We don't have to put a whole new code in place."

Brown said he would lead by actions rather than words and would let his deeds on the field inspire his team, not locker room rants.
"I've always tried to lead the guys within the locker room the best that I can, without trying to be too overpowering or overbearing. I think we place too much importance on words and ... all this rah-rah in front of the playing group. I don't really see any need for that," he said.

brown90ii0.jpg

Link

Chairman Tony Kelly said Brown was already the club's spiritual leader.

Voss said the Lions wanted to raise the bar. Times have changed and football clubs must change with them.

"The players have told me how they want to live and conduct themselves and what they want to stand by," Voss said. "The way they want to train, the way they want to compete out on the football field.

"They all live it, but when you are looking at all those things it is (Brown) who lives them the absolute best."

Link

AFL star Jonathon Brown in Vic Darchinyan's corner
Article from:
By Christian Nicolussi
October 31, 2008 12:00am

AFL legend Jonathon Brown will be in the corner of Vic Darchinyan when the Sydney boxer tries to become undisputed super-flyweight champion of the world this weekend by beating Cristian Mijares.
The Brisbane Lions stalwart will fly the Australian flag when Darchinyan makes his way into a sold-out Home Depot Centre in Los Angeles on Sunday (AEDT). Darchinyan welcomed Brown's star power and was grateful the Lions skipper had taken time out from his honeymoon with new wife Kylie Adams to attend the fight.

2lm7yif.jpg

Primed ... Vic Darchinyan.

2007 Review
Quigley's 2008 Review

2008 End of Season Review

By anyone’s standards Brown had a great year, kicking 70 goals and winning the club's best and fairest award, but for him he may even be a little disappointed. It was probably the first year in his career where he didn’t improve or progress as a player.

Despite playing 21 games it was again a year hampered by injuries. Brown was eased into the year, missing the first two preseason games, then in the final practice match he hyperextended his knee against the Swans. This sent a scare through the camp but he was able to play out the game.

When the season started he was in fine touch kicking 4 first half goals on Darren Glass. But he went down again with a hyperextended knee, and although he played on his movement was restricted. From rounds 2 to 6 he only kicked 9 goals and people were starting to question his standing in the game. He was also battling hip and quad problems which caused him to miss round 7 and put him in doubt for the Dream Team game.

After a long build up of will he won’t he, Brown played in the Dream Team game and as captain of Victoria he was very much the face of this one off concept. He had a good game, booting 3 goals and leading the Big V to victory.

This prompted a return to form, picking up 53 disposals, 35 marks and 18 goals in the next 3 weeks, but against North Melbourne, he again hyperextended his knee. He returned to the field but he was restricted, having lost the drive or spring from his knee.

Brown battled the rest of the season out and was consistently good without dominating. Leigh commented that he was battling various niggles and was showing ‘tremendous courage’ just to be out there.

Statistically Brown had a comparable season to last year, but his aura and his ability to influence a game was not the same. He formed a wonderful partnership with Bradshaw but lacked support from the crumbers. Perhaps his inability to train during the week has made it harder to find cohesion there.

Drawn out contract negotiations dominated the headlines in the 2nd half of the season to such an extent that it may have been a distraction for both him and the team. The length of the contract was the sticking point, and raised questions about how long he has left in the game. It was also a year where his title as top dog was removed with the awesome form of Lance Franklin making him now the dominant key forward in the game.

2009 looms as a fresh start for Browny. Having been coached by AFL legend Leigh Matthews his entire career, he will now be playing under first year coach and ex-team mate Michael Voss. And after the team's rudderless season marked by inconsistency and fade outs, Voss' first move was to appoint Brown as sole captain.

browneq8.jpg

ebeo9y.jpg

Kicks - 223 (4th)
Handballs - 84 (16th)
Contested Possessions - 130 (4th)
Goals - 70 (2nd)
Marks - 167 (1st)
Contested Marks - 44 (1st)
Marks Inside 50 - 92 (1st)
Goal Assists - 16 (3rd)

Link

Lions, including skipper Jonathan Brown, do most of their in-season conditioning work in the ring instead of on the park. Brown dons the gloves for gruelling 45-minute workouts, which include 10 three-minute rounds of no-holds-barred sparring with Kennedy.
And things can get heated.
"He is very talented. He is a heavy-hitting southpaw plus he has the killer in him," Kennedy said. "I try to get him to control himself, mostly for my own preservation, but he just gets the smell of blood and you can't stop him.
"He has broken three of my ribs and broken my nose twice. We are both over 100kg, so when we throw big punches and they land, it has an impact."

brown123gh9.jpg

Link

What footy has taught me - Jonathan Brown
Jason Murnane

Jonathan Brown - Brisbane Lions co-captain and AFLPA club Delegate
How to overcome hurdles on the rollercoaster ride of AFL football. Enjoy the ‘ups’ and be ready for the inevitable ‘downs’.
Always appreciate where you are at and where you’ve come from because nothing is forever.
How to win with dignity and lose with humility. Losing is the ultimate test of character.
Role-playing – everyone has a job to do and it is imperative that everyone understands their role, accepts their role and plays their role.
The media spotlight is always on – understand it’s part of the job.
How to live with and handle pressure and expectation.
Preparation is everything – you can always get better.
Discipline.
Moderation in everything you do.
Punctuality. Always be 15 minutes early rather than risk being 15 minutes late.

brownbn3.jpg

Oh yes, there is a man who was destined to be our captain:D..

Stick with all of those principles, and our boys will be up and firing:thumbsu:

Installed as equal 5th favourite for the 2009 Brownlow:

Gary Ablett - $7.00
Chris Judd - $9.00
Lance Franklin - $13.00
Jimmy Bartel - $17.00
Jonathan Brown - $21.00
Simon Black - $21.00
Sam Mitchell - $21.00
Nick Riewoldt - $21.00
Adam Cooney - $21.00
Matthew Pavlich - $21.00
Ben Cousins - $26.00

27xikjm.jpg

Brown is also 4th in line in the betting for the Coleman:

Franklin - $2.20
Fevola - $3.00
Bradshaw - $11.00
Brown - $13.00
Lloyd - $17.00
Pavlich - $17.00

egpg1l.jpg

been a while since ive been on here. you no what annoys me, is that peole say jono is overated. i mean come on, they say hes is the greatest forward last year, and this year he has the exact same year and yet peole say hes overated. it just sickens me how dumb people are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back