Ballarat Football League 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ballarat Football League

Thats great that 12 is a fighter - he can obviously throw them the test now will be his chin. Well Darley were 5 goal better side than everyone last year so now they 13 goals better?? Wow is that because the betting has pushed Redan out to 16/1 for the flag - if they can't win then no one can? And what brain fade are you talking about? Stupid red cards that the ballarat umps throw at eastern bloc teams like confetti?

I agree that Darley should win it this year, they should have won it last year and are a lot stronger this time around. But regardless of the umpiring on the day last year, the brain fades which included: lacking discipline, poor foot skills, decision making and terrible goal kicking cost them the flag. Whether they admit it or not, everyone who witnessed the game would concede the pressure got the better of them.

Just curious, it seems sunbury who have been talked up to be the second best side in the league this year...behind darley could be in some trouble....

anyone see the game on the w.e? sunbury vs east.

i heard a few rumours friday morning, that mr i dont move out of the goal square dan jordan was under a injury cloud and wasnt fully fit yet east still won.

sunbury now have to face fourth side lake wendouree who have shown there a real threat this year.

who does everyone think will win?

Who cares who wins this game- its who wins finals games and Lake Wendouree have proven they are even bigger chokers than darley when September arrives. Lakers have always had potential but never deliver- sorta like your first highschool girlfriend, she read Dolly magazine and knew about wristy's but she never delivered you one.
Sunbury by 8 goals for me cause coach midget wont go defensive 2 weeks in a row:)

Didnt Redan beat Lakers by 70 odd points??

Speaking of DJ, isnt he and Banwell going to England for the Ashes, both will miss 4 or 5 games. Lucky the Merging Dogs have a few wins on the board now.

Didnt Redan beat Lakers by 70 odd points??

Speaking of DJ, isnt he and Banwell going to England for the Ashes, both will miss 4 or 5 games. Lucky the Merging Dogs have a few wins on the board now.

Up to 6 games games - I am sure DJ will take good care of himself over there. Very little beer and black pudding and will come back fit as a fiddle!!

Oracle, you'd be happy to know Redan signed another north player last night. A 2008 VFL Premiership player, seems it hasn't dried up FOR Redan just yet!

Now here's this for the scoop of the week? Darley last night met with and signed Calvin Hassent for two years. I know it was reported last season that Calvin would play at the devils and it never actually eventuated but i can assure you Calvin has put pen to paper and will suit up for the devils before years end. Calvin is a mad aussie rules fan and has actually been a capped Samoan rugby league player that was known for his kicking game and aerial prowess (in a similar style of Israel Folau). Darley sent recruiting manager Grant McMillan to samoa to check out Calvin early last year and the Mac was excited about the prospect of making him a devil "he tackles like a steam train" McMillan said. The only issue was getting a working visa and accomodation for Calvins 7 children.

Calvin a skilled slaughterman in Samoa eventually found a sponsor in the Bacchus Marsh abbatoirs and local real estate agent Bryan Marsden has found a nice 4 bedroom home on an acre near Darley creek for calvin and the kids. Calvin was a tad jetlagged to train last night but he did pop in and do a few sets of 140kg's on the pec deck before eating two raw potatoes and a leg of lamb before he climbed on his mountain bike and pedalled home

rugby1.jpg

Calvin before training last night. Always a relaxed dress sense.

Thats great that 12 is a fighter - he can obviously throw them the test now will be his chin. Well Darley were 5 goal better side than everyone last year so now they 13 goals better?? Wow is that because the betting has pushed Redan out to 16/1 for the flag - if they can't win then no one can? And what brain fade are you talking about? Stupid red cards that the ballarat umps throw at eastern bloc teams like confetti?
Chuck if you beleive in this conspiracy (and it appears all the eastern bloc teams do) then why do players from these teams continually put themselves in a position in big games that allows the umpire to do this, don't they learn from there own and others mistakes. Look at last year, ok there was a scruff and maybe Darley didn't start it but I didn't see any of the boys thinking "Gee this is the GF there is a quarter to go, the umps are twitchy wouldn't want to do anything stupid and get sent off, might try and extricate myself from this". Instead they gave as good as they got and bang, card, see you later. Sometimes you have to cop it sweet and move on at personal harm but in the interests of the team.

Chuck if you beleive in this conspiracy (and it appears all the eastern bloc teams do) then why do players from these teams continually put themselves in a position in big games that allows the umpire to do this, don't they learn from there own and others mistakes. Look at last year, ok there was a scruff and maybe Darley didn't start it but I didn't see any of the boys thinking "Gee this is the GF there is a quarter to go, the umps are twitchy wouldn't want to do anything stupid and get sent off, might try and extricate myself from this". Instead they gave as good as they got and bang, card, see you later. Sometimes you have to cop it sweet and move on at personal harm but in the interests of the team.

It only goes one way. Power was red carded in the first couple of minutes - the footage was on video and he was cleared at the tribunal. Surely a red card needs to be something that is servere - especially in the 1st 5 minutes of a grand final. O'Conner was also red carded in the 1st 5 minutes - he was the leagues CHB in the team of the year that year - he received 1 week only because of a rule change that it is an automatic week if red carded. The emergency ump was 80 metres away and ran onto the field???? Miller - is one of the premier players in the comp and was red carded at 3/4 time when the scores where very close. Push and shove red is overboard. You don't think there is a bias?

Admittedly some incidents are from people puuting themselves in bad situations but red cards have to be absolute terrible acts and not things like a push, or minor strike. Some umpires in Ballarat hang out with and are friends with Ballarat footballers and hang out in similar circles and i am sure the Ballarat guys get preferential treatment. I have played on many Ballarat guys who have simply laughed at the end of games and said how ordinary the umpires towards us (eastern teams).

I feel Darley's playing bahaviour and club culture has been broken down and re-established since Leamonth's arrival and not only is there no thuggery, i actually feel at times we are one of the sides who are physically hunted. We are first to the footy more than anyone else (our record speaks for that), yet we still have a ridiculous free's against percentage. That percentage is almost 20% higher against Ballarat sides- according to our stats guy. That seems a great coincidence. We are nearly 50-50 with Sunbury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boys you missed my point and Miller is the prime example. So you beleive there is a conspiracy yet at 3/4 time he gets confronted and rather than try to walk away he gets involved in some push and shove. Sure the penalty was harsh but he had a choice in that he could have tried to walk away.

Boys you missed my point and Miller is the prime example. So you beleive there is a conspiracy yet at 3/4 time he gets confronted and rather than try to walk away he gets involved in some push and shove. Sure the penalty was harsh but he had a choice in that he could have tried to walk away.
Your right, should not have put himself in that situation, but isnt he entitled to think he is safe from a card when he simply pushes a guy over after his team mate has been belted.
Back to the present day, LBB's tips (after getting 5 last week and nearly every margin):
Rat v Darley - Devils by 21
Marsh v Redan - Redan by 47
South v East Point - South by 15
Sebas v Melton - Melton by 50
Sunba v Lakers - Sunba by 20

Well done to melton for getting it over the line in the last 10mins of the game at sebas, was a good game with sebas fighting it out til the end. Seems melton are the ONLY eastern side to win this weekend !!!!! Cant wait for the excuses to come out should be a good laugh for me. Darley and Sunbury both come crashing down :p

As for the umps D Rat, you have to consider that you are watching the game through your very passionate one eye and to say that you are actually targeted is over the top.
First you point out alot that you play hard, if others are taken out well thats just footy, toughen up, then you go out of your mind because one of your young players is on the end of a hard contest !!! (Not wishing harm upon anyone and hope sam is ok, but it works both ways!)
*You claim that it was dirty but you also claimed sebas coach was dirty and hurt sam when in fact sams injury occured during a FAIR marking contest with a sebas player who is 18!

One for KA, why are gisbourne in the courier claiming to be so shocked about the ballart league invite when they have had 3 prior invites already?
And why were the others rejected but you seem so sure that this time it wont be, whats different?

lakers over sunbury by 2pts today at clarke oval

dont really know why sunbury are second favourite to win the flag , they have some big concerns down there.
there ruck division is ordinary at best carriss poor judge of jumping for the ruck contest goes way to early 95% of the time and is super slow around the ground , and have also noticed how he likes to show everyone the ball when ever he takes a grab, probably just making sure the stats man sees it and puts it down in his column.
sutherland is hand around the ground quick for a big man but lacks experience in the ruck contests.
the backline is way to loose and lack disicpline. slieght turns the ball over way to much, elliot gets a bit of it but seems to kick to a lot of 50/50 contests and isnt hitting as many targets as he should with the skill he has, is a beautiful kick of the ball but poor decsion maker at times.
the lobbs, extremely loose dont man up look for each other way way to much and turn the ball over far to many times.
the onballers dont seem to be foloowing there men down forward and the oppisition onballers are getting to many easy shots at goal from floating inside their forward 50.
houlihan would have to be a major concern for power, has yet to fire a shot, 2nds efforts are non exsistant and is playing from behind to much and also getting worked out of the contest far to easily for a person with his ability.
james injured again possibly ?
turn overs and silly free kicks are doing the lions some serious damage and unless the problem is rectified asap they wont be playing to much of a part come finals times.
some very selfish footballers running around for sunbury at the moment and until they start to play as a team they have no chance of getting near the top sides.
i,d be putting every thing i could on darley at $2, with east point not a bad bet at $6

I'm assuming you were there today diggler, it was a bloody ripper game :thumbsu:

Well done Lakers on a brilliant last quarter and a memprable win!

it was a great win by the lakers, fought back well ,run hard and used the ball well also ,they look the goods i must admit

Well done to melton for getting it over the line in the last 10mins of the game at sebas, was a good game with sebas fighting it out til the end. Seems melton are the ONLY eastern side to win this weekend !!!!! Cant wait for the excuses to come out should be a good laugh for me. Darley and Sunbury both come crashing down :p

u forgot to mention that four of the top six are from the west shaggy...

As for the umps D Rat, you have to consider that you are watching the game through your very passionate one eye and to say that you are actually targeted is over the top.
First you point out alot that you play hard, if others are taken out well thats just footy, toughen up, then you go out of your mind because one of your young players is on the end of a hard contest !!! (Not wishing harm upon anyone and hope sam is ok, but it works both ways!)
*You claim that it was dirty but you also claimed sebas coach was dirty and hurt sam when in fact sams injury occured during a FAIR marking contest with a sebas player who is 18!

One for KA, why are gisbourne in the courier claiming to be so shocked about the ballart league invite when they have had 3 prior invites already?
And why were the others rejected but you seem so sure that this time it wont be, whats different?
Poor old shaggy wrong again, no one was talking about Sam getting hurt against your pathetic rabble of a side, it was a different kid, Sam got one against Redan. Sam did get a broken nose against your mob in a marking contest, no one is disputing that.
Well done to Ballarat today, played way better wet weather footy, and controlled the contest all day. Probably the loss the Devils had to have, very complacent at the moment. Thank god we only have one more game in Ballarat, what a disgusting cold, damp, muddy, shit hole.
And as always our boys returned to the rooms for a drink after a hard contest and some banter in the outer. Its a shame you couldnt do the same last year.

lakers over sunbury by 2pts today at clarke oval

dont really know why sunbury are second favourite to win the flag , they have some big concerns down there.
there ruck division is ordinary at best carriss poor judge of jumping for the ruck contest goes way to early 95% of the time and is super slow around the ground , and have also noticed how he likes to show everyone the ball when ever he takes a grab, probably just making sure the stats man sees it and puts it down in his column.
sutherland is hand around the ground quick for a big man but lacks experience in the ruck contests.
the backline is way to loose and lack disicpline. slieght turns the ball over way to much, elliot gets a bit of it but seems to kick to a lot of 50/50 contests and isnt hitting as many targets as he should with the skill he has, is a beautiful kick of the ball but poor decsion maker at times.
the lobbs, extremely loose dont man up look for each other way way to much and turn the ball over far to many times.
the onballers dont seem to be foloowing there men down forward and the oppisition onballers are getting to many easy shots at goal from floating inside their forward 50.
houlihan would have to be a major concern for power, has yet to fire a shot, 2nds efforts are non exsistant and is playing from behind to much and also getting worked out of the contest far to easily for a person with his ability.
james injured again possibly ?
turn overs and silly free kicks are doing the lions some serious damage and unless the problem is rectified asap they wont be playing to much of a part come finals times.
some very selfish footballers running around for sunbury at the moment and until they start to play as a team they have no chance of getting near the top sides.
i,d be putting every thing i could on darley at $2, with east point not a bad bet at $6

Agree 100% with you there Dirk. And I’ll go further – Quick movement of the footy is how to win games, ie using the first option. Where Sunbury are breaking down is when they are stringing together quick possessions in a forward build up one player will suddenly stop… run around in circles, baulk 5 players then turn it over…… or take a mark, hold the ball in the air & go back slowly to take their kick. Basically its just hanging onto the ball way to long (selfish play) allowing the opposition to man up – Dumb Footy ! I suppose they do it to get noticed….. and astonishingly it works. 21 UNFORCED turnovers against East last week & they name 4 best players that were responsible for a third of them alone !
Yesterday 9 UNFORCED turnovers & once again 2 players named that were responsible for a third of them.
Who down there is confusing poor play with best player mentions ?????
Turnovers, especially UNFORCED skill errors literally kill your team in so many ways !
Players are not going to change their bad habits if they keep getting rewarded with pats on the back !
Bizarre !

I'm assuming you were there today diggler, it was a bloody ripper game :thumbsu:

Well done Lakers on a brilliant last quarter and a memorable win!

If by ripper game, you mean close contest, then yes it was.

Because the standard was shithouse - Like watching a two's game (& a bad one at that) there was so many skill errors by both teams !

Credit where credit is due, Ballarat were alot better than us and it goes to show that a good team will always beat a team of good players. Darley have the best list by a mile but they dont follow instructions and have only been winning because they are simply better one on one than other teams and not because they play better team footy. I wont travel to Ballarat again until finals time because it is the coldest, dirtiest smut hole on earth. Getting beat doesnt help but Ballarat were good and i take the loss on the chin. Well dont leather face, another one on the board..

Im with Cook- go East Geelong

Darelys loss will give Learmonth something to work with now.
Who rucked for darley? with Stephenson and Carlton dropped to the 2's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back