Weight Training: Anything and Everything

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Protein & Other Supplements

Regaining strength, thanks everyone.

Jusr needed to hit up the supplements more often and the one week rest worked wonders as it turns out.

If you had said hit up the juice,fair enough

supps don't do anything that heavy training and a good diet can't do

Re: Optimal Exercises and Optimal Techniques for Muscle Gains

I've just started lifting recently to try and gain some mass for footy since I'm 6ft and a measly 74kgs (was 70 before I started bulk eating) and I have no idea how people can't do compound lifts... I find isolation stuff like curls boring and they don't do much I still do them but I find squats and deadlifts to be my favourite excersize, right now I'm using home weights but looking to join the gym and start training harder and work out my pr's.

cptkirk, can you give me some examples of single leg exercises for performance? I am training for footy next season but at the moment I'm not doing any single leg exercises and would like to add in one or two.

Thinking of step ups or lunges at the moment but might give the single leg deadlifts a try. Would that be as an alternative to conventional deads or in addition to it?

I've also seen you mention reverse lunges here often - why those over 'forward' lunges?

What do you think would be the best single leg exercises for power/strength (particularly from a football perspective)?
"Footy Preseason" thread.

i wouldn't call it functional jargon buddy...it is what it is

no need to get upset because i don't like it, i don't get upset with you cos you do...

i wouldn't call it functional jargon buddy...it is what it is

no need to get upset because i don't like it, i don't get upset with you cos you do...
I don't have a problem with our conflicting points of view or goals in training. There's no correct or incorrect, as has been covered.

What I don't appreciate is you coming into a thread designed to essentially create discussion on bodybuilding, and having a go at the user who created it, all the while turning the thread into yet another "I need help getting a stronger core for footy pre-season" one.

her didn't specicify in the first post if you read it

it doesn't really matter the goal is the same, the track getting there is different...i just prefer mine obviously

her didn't specicify in the first post if you read it

it doesn't really matter the goal is the same, the track getting there is different...i just prefer mine obviously

I would have thought that it would be implicit - nay explicit - that this thread would have been about muscle gains (i.e. bodybuilding), purely from the thread title.

I do value your opinions. However, no need to get antsy about it all.

I'm not prepared to get into a competition over whose views are correct or not. Just trying to have a productive discussion here.

To be honest, I began this thread to try and move away from the cptkrk vs The World theme alot of weight lifting related threads around this forum have taken lately.

Yawn!

there's plenty of ways to get big, mine is one of them

That's fine, but at seventy-whatever kilos you're tipping it at, I'd argue that on the numbers, you are down a couple of stone on a few of us around here.

I choose to do squats, leg press and deadlifts as a matter of priority because, for me, I find they are the most efficient exercises to use to build maximal muscle with the energy I have to use, as well as my time.

If your way works for building up muscle, then fine, please join in. But saying 'I won't get into a bodybuilding discussion' (or whatever exactly you said) earlier, then you instantly got one or two people offside.

Can't be bothered with spiderman walking or single legged deadlifts? You bettchya!

doesn't matter how big i am, i started at 55 anyway so i'm never gonna be superman

my favorite exercise is deadlifts so you won't get an arguement from me there...i do them all the time...single leg stuff are supplement exercises, not the reason to train

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rofl cpt :p I'm only 15 though so hopefully I'll fill out a bit soon and put on even more weight, I'm definitely getting bigger and heavier with what i'm doing now though, also last year I was like 5"8 and 65kgs.

I was 5"11 and 54 kgs, in under a year I've come up to 6" and 67 kgs.
For me my only reasons are genetics (both my parents were horrribly stick thin before their mid 20's) and my metablolism, which I hope will start to slow down soon.

I was sort of in the same boat but it actually helped me out, had to take a few weeks off squatting due to the elbow and it ended up acting as a bit of a taper I guess.
Yeah the chest is just about ready for a rest; it's the only body part I've worked continuously for at least 2 months, and have even had to work it on 5-day rests on occasion to fit in around work. It's starting to feel a bit tight (in a bad way), so it's probably due.

Was it the old swine flu?
Oh yeah. Well, not definitely, but probably. It was the worst flu I've ever experienced; fevers, loss of apetite, inability to sleep, delirious. Non-stop for about 5 days. Needless to say I had nothing left at the end of it; the weight and strength even to hold myself up dropped right away.

I eased back into it a few days later and have only gone full intensity for 2 of the last 3 weeks, as I'm still not 100% (at least in my mind).

I'm about 2-5 kilos off my original weight; from there I'll be good to go again. :thumbsu:

i compressed a disc or something in my back a couple of months ago which didn;t allow me to bend for a while so deadlifts were out...for the next week i did single leg stuff and the rest of the body...the next week i started back at deads with a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 approiach (sets of) and even though i maxed out at 80 the first week back, within a month i was back at 95% of my 150kg max...it seemed to work well, low-ish volume felt good for the comeback
Yeah I've found I've had to cut right back on the volume, too.

2 (working) sets in general, 3 if I'm feeling up to it.

i had just the 1 rep set as a working set

something like:

5 x 40kgs
4 x 55kgs
3 x 70kgs
2 x 85kgs
1 x 100kgs

then onto accessory stuff so i got enough practice reps in without any fatigue which i think allowed me to get the numbers back up as quick as i could...obviosuly the longer i would have been out for the more strength i'd lose over the short term

smith machine is the worse machine going around, it fixes you to one line of movement which if it isn't your natural line of movement which is usually isn't, then you'll compensate somewhere in the shoulder girdle where you shouldn't

i train chest 2/week (upper days) and will do a max effort type bb variation which rotates through flat bench, floor press, and board preses for the most part so something between 3 - 6 reps

on 1 of the days i'll do a second chest exercise which will be a db variation or a hard push up variation for 8 - 12 rep-ish

if you have access to them, try gymnastic ring or trx push ups, the best chest exercises out there for mine...they combine the simple pressing motion of a bench press movement with the arc range of motion of a fly or crossover at the same time

another push up bit to do is feet up x as many as you can, feet on the floor x as many as you can then with hands elevated x as manya s you can x 2 - 3 rounds...add up all the reps then get more the next time

I have felt the same as you in the past and I think I have posted something similar on bigfooty, In saying that all studies I have seen outlining the issues with smith machines are with regards to squats. I personally don't see any issues with bench presses as it is already an unnatural movement with the barbell restricting normal function.

With the bench press techniques I see around the place half of them would be better off using the Smith.

I also didn't ask for random programming advice, Maybe you should start a 'Ask Cpt Kirk' Thread.

if benching safely you should be using an arch where the bar starts over the face and your elbows lower down towards the hips so that the bar ends up over the lower portion of your chest...the smith will do nothing like that and more then likely tear the s**t out of your infraspinatus

great idea the q and a too

Not ignoring your post whomb but am I better off switching on and off between dumbbell chest press (which i do every week) and bench press? I figured using a wide grip on bench press rather than the fairly standard closer dumbbell press grip could help my chest..? Hope I'm not abusing the free advice on this board.

As for Smith talk, I'm going to do Good mornings and Bent over barbell rows with the smith machine. Perhaps even incline chest press.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back