Black Diamond AFL - 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any predictions for who will play on GF day and who will win?
Mine are:
1sts City v does it really matter - City to win
Ressies Cardiff v Nelson Bay - should be a good game Cardiff to win
U18s I think this will be a battle of the Bays - With each winning one apiece against each other I think it will come done to who can run out four quarters - Marlins to win

1's City v Cardiff - I think the Hawks may get over Terr and make the big 1, agree City have to be huge favs, but on the day it still has to be won (KV got them in 07) after being destoyed all year!. City by a couple

2's Cardiff v Nelson - The Bay would love to get up and win after a couple of close years, most sides have played 1's players against them this year, something Singo didnt have to deal with, even the Gong played on the weekend! Warners have as well I believe, not sure bout Cardiff but if its their standard 2's team they have already beaten them this year, Nelsons to win and hopefully gain momentum into the 1's

18's Nelson v Warners - I still like the Marlins to win this, KV are still quite strong but Nelsons beat Cardiff when they had the Heeney's playin so prob close but il stick with them to win the 2's/18's double, they have lots of younger players so should dominate this grade for a few years!

The 1st time since 03 where Cardiff/City wont win this grade! Good for the comp hopefully

Agree totally that someone else winning would be great for the comp!! Hell someone else making the finals would be great!!

Was talking to garry burkinshaw who ran bdafl and now the sydney comp on weekend, and they are asking for a senior and 18's team to join, our web has asked for ppl interested to register their intent.

Gossy will be placed into their division in november (im thinking 3's or 4's)

Won't find a whole lot of objection to teams having to travel to Gosford once a year...wish we faced them next year! We played them in a trial this year and they were a good bunch of blokes, could do better than a few teams in our Div (2) but Div 3 would be a good starting point for them.

Garry Burkinshaw had the foresight and guts to re-structure Sydney footy in 09 and the whole thing has been a great success...Penriff a chance at two minor premierships, Moorebank won a flag last year...it's actually evened out the balance between the city based clubs and us out west, where we don't have interstate players dropping on our doorsteps, unless they're Defence Force. Some still dispute the fact it's working, but they have rose coloured glasses on.

Won't find a whole lot of objection to teams having to travel to Gosford once a year...wish we faced them next year! We played them in a trial this year and they were a good bunch of blokes, could do better than a few teams in our Div (2) but Div 3 would be a good starting point for them.

Garry Burkinshaw had the foresight and guts to re-structure Sydney footy in 09 and the whole thing has been a great success...Penriff a chance at two minor premierships, Moorebank won a flag last year...it's actually evened out the balance between the city based clubs and us out west, where we don't have interstate players dropping on our doorsteps, unless they're Defence Force. Some still dispute the fact it's working, but they have rose coloured glasses on.
Cheers Pekay, I agree that they would go pretty good in 3's, It just depends on who they have commited to play for next year! This year they have had alot of players leave the club, either to play in Newwy or Sydney or just stop playing altogether!
Macca (who runs our comp) isnt going round again next year, but I think 2013 is noted as when we will hopefully go to divisions, which HAS been a success in lots of ppl's opinions, they need to look at more clubs,more teams,more divs and most importantly more success shared around the clubs!!

Cheers Pekay, I agree that they would go pretty good in 3's, It just depends on who they have commited to play for next year! This year they have had alot of players leave the club, either to play in Newwy or Sydney or just stop playing altogether!
Macca (who runs our comp) isnt going round again next year, but I think 2013 is noted as when we will hopefully go to divisions, which HAS been a success in lots of ppl's opinions, they need to look at more clubs,more teams,more divs and most importantly more success shared around the clubs!!

The bdafl needs a gm who isn't afraid to make the hard calls and decisions, instead of trying to please all clubs. Whether that means clubs leaving the comp. Folding or having 3 grades playing at 3 separate venues so be it..that's just my two cents worth

The bdafl needs a gm who isn't afraid to make the hard calls and decisions, instead of trying to please all clubs. Whether that means clubs leaving the comp. Folding or having 3 grades playing at 3 separate venues so be it..that's just my two cents worth

Exactly! I dont know who will get the job, but they need to be like Garry when he went to Sydney (this is what we are doing-it will be a success so deal with it!) and it has been the best thing for there comp in a long time!

The clubs are soo worried about there teams playin at seperate away grounds, but why? as it is very few players etc hang around for the others to play, and it just means others in a team will have to take ownership.
At home games when you need the hands to fill roles, 99% you have all teams together anyway ( and this is with premier AND 5 divs in Syd!)

I still say let the 18's play as seperate comps and then combine for finals if you like,this would help your Maitland etc who now have all junior teams,let them stay together form an 18's if they have numbers and hopefully enter an open age team in 3's, at the moment there options are go to City/Cardiff and even the Bay and not get a game or play for the others and get smashed!!

Quick question- does an 18's player have to play the 5 games in that grade to play finals? IF he has played the year in 1's, just curious as there may be some players in this boat and if they do qualify does this have the same effect on the junior players ie playing up all year in 18's but may have not played required games in 16's?

Just not sure as that last one is junior and senior grades so may be completely different cheers

Quick question- does an 18's player have to play the 5 games in that grade to play finals? IF he has played the year in 1's, just curious as there may be some players in this boat and if they do qualify does this have the same effect on the junior players ie playing up all year in 18's but may have not played required games in 16's?

Just not sure as that last one is junior and senior grades so may be completely different cheers

For a 18's player to play any finals the must play 25% of club games during the season..same goes for 16's backing up to 18s must play 25% of club games for that 18s team

Exactly! I dont know who will get the job, but they need to be like Garry when he went to Sydney (this is what we are doing-it will be a success so deal with it!) and it has been the best thing for there comp in a long time!

I still say let the 18's play as seperate comps and then combine for finals if you like,this would help your Maitland etc who now have all junior teams,let them stay together form an 18's if they have numbers and hopefully enter an open age team in 3's, at the moment there options are go to City/Cardiff and even the Bay and not get a game or play for the others and get smashed!!

Short term pain for long term gain

For a 18's player to play any finals the must play 25% of club games during the season..same goes for 16's backing up to 18s must play 25% of club games for that 18s team

Cheers mate, so just to clarify they must play 25% of 'club' games, so if they play all season in seniors they can play 18's finals?

With the junior player in question, I believe he has played nearly all 18's games so he can obviously play 18's finals, but what about 16's finals?
He has only 3 maybe 4 games played in that grade

Cheers

Cheers mate, so just to clarify they must play 25% of 'club' games, so if they play all season in seniors they can play 18's finals?

With the junior player in question, I believe he has played nearly all 18's games so he can obviously play 18's finals, but what about 16's finals?
He has only 3 maybe 4 games played in that grade

Cheers

Doesn't make a difference as it's junior and senior league...

With the BDAFL presentation night in 2 weeks, any thoughts about the Elliott Davey or the team of the year?

Newcastle hot favourites for both!! lol Not sure bout the medal but the team of year would hopefully have a few from the 'less successful' teams.

A couple from Wyong,Singo and Dockers come to mind that have been consistently good in sometimes average teams, but the bulk would be City I would think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks mate, altho I have only played half a game!! If I do it will be the 1st time an umpie wins it!!!

As for Gossy they just got sick of the bdafl bullcrap and decided to go elsewhere! as Iv said they arent the only one's

Didn't Usingtheforce win the Elliot Davey award a few years back?

Well the end of the season for some, congrats to all the clubs/teams who made finals!
Well done to Singleton who have managed the best year of any of the promoted clubs, not only winning games but competing better the 2nd time around, (also their 2's had there 1st and only win for the year yesterday) well done and hopefully they can continue next year and work something out and get an 18's team as well!!

Wyong 18's have made the finals (only senior team since promotion in 05 to do this so congrats to them after not fielding a team last year!)

Season 2011 so far has gone almost according to script however thankfully a few surprises thrown in for good measure. Congrats to the BDAFL on implementing a wet weather action plan that added some continuity to the season.

Wyongs win over Cardiff was amazing and hopefully a sign of things to come for the club. Just add in one or 2 highly skilled fit guys and they may notch up a few more wins next season.

Singleton finished with a wet sail and I doubt that there'd be many that werent happy for them to end the season on a high.

What did seem to become evident this year was the gap between 4th and 5th. KV seem a long way from being a proper threat, more so a very beatable team for the previous years cellar dwellers to knock off.

With Gosford leaving and the whole Woy Woy/Gosford merge not really working out the league does have a somewhat stagnant feel about it. I'm sure there's been many heads being put together to come up with solutions to grow the league but there could be some testing times ahead.

Would it be feasible to split back to geographic comps again? Newcastle and Central Coast? Definately need to work on u/18's and the juniors and ensure the numbers continue through to seniors.

For now though we can sit back and enjoy some finals action. Can Cardiff do what City has done many times, come from 3rd/4th and take the silverware? If not are Terrigal are better opponent for City? On form Warners Bay will repeat their last few efforts...there still seems to be another gap between 4th and 3rd.

Ressies, Cardiff are in the hot seat. Nelson Bay's year long consistency with side selection may favour them and would firm up as favourites against Terrigal. Should be interesting to see how close City can get to Cardiff this weekend also as they have been untouchable in the back half of the year.

Fingers crossed for some great weather, great footy and cold beers.

sexualninja, Wyong's win was the highlight for their club and def upset of the year!!
Unfortunately unless they have alot of 'ins' they wont get to that level next year as they have a large chunk of their squad either retiring or moving on!!
Agree KV were not quite there for most of the year,but I think they are trying to build their club with juniors rather than grab from Sydney or other clubs so maybe if they succeed in keeping them they will be better in 1-3 years.

Warners havent quite got there either, I admit at the start of year with some quality coming from Gossy and north coast I picked them to be right up there, maybe 2nd spot where Terr are? butfor whetever reason they not there yet.

Gossy going will be interesting, they only taking 1 senior team, so will Woy field 2's and 18's next year? as Gossy and Woy are 1 and 2 on the coast 16's so would be good to keep those kids in the game!

The comp does need restructuring as I am 80% sure Maitland will join in 18's and 2's next year, meaning we are getting more clubs/teams joining the comp BUT they wont compete with the Cardiff/City teams straight up and this will hurt the comp ( same can be said for Singo and Nelson 2's and Woyng and Mac 2's, they need 3 grades before 2013!!

Here is how I would run the comp if I were in charge (feel free to imput, ridicule, whatever but at least we all agree right now the comp is rubbish and needs change one way or the other!)

BD is open to any club/team who feel they can compete and have a reasonable plan to succeed, ie junior base,finance etc, meaning NO team is excluded/relegated etc as this has been a concern for some!
Therefore going on current form IF Cardiff,City,Terr,Warners,KV,Wyong,Singo,Mac and Nelsons would nominate for the top grade they are in, no worries bout yr better players leaving to play 1's etc, basically no change from current set-up.

Here is where the changes happen for the betterment of the code/comp and means we will grow in numbers,the remaining clubs/teams are split with a 2nd and 3rd grade.

Yes it will mean you dont always play together as a club but mostly you will and if the strongest clubs grow more ie field 3 teams there is every chance the draw will be done 'around' them. Ok on current form/theories it would look like this

2nd grade will have the 2nd Cardiff,City,Terr,Warners,KV and then prob a Woy team if they in next year, these 2 grades would have promotion/relegation on a year by year basis

3rd grade- 2nd Wyong,Singo,Nelsons,Mac,the proposed Maitland team and room for others to put forward a seniors team/or third side for the bigger clubs, even Gossy could of played in 2nd grade and Woy play in this one!!

Basically the success is shared, the clubs build while not under pressure to feild all teams,you play standard teams in yr grade, not stacked teams with 1's players on a 'bye' which will hurt new teams like Maitland next year as it is currently!!

Thoughts?

As for 18's I have said before this age group would do just as well if it went back to seperate Coast and Newwy comps esp if the bdafl send a team to Sydney.

Here is how I would run the comp if I were in charge (feel free to imput, ridicule, whatever but at least we all agree right now the comp is rubbish and needs change one way or the other!)

BD is open to any club/team who feel they can compete and have a reasonable plan to succeed, ie junior base,finance etc, meaning NO team is excluded/relegated etc as this has been a concern for some!
Therefore going on current form IF Cardiff,City,Terr,Warners,KV,Wyong,Singo,Mac and Nelsons would nominate for the top grade they are in, no worries bout yr better players leaving to play 1's etc, basically no change from current set-up.

Here is where the changes happen for the betterment of the code/comp and means we will grow in numbers,the remaining clubs/teams are split with a 2nd and 3rd grade.

Yes it will mean you dont always play together as a club but mostly you will and if the strongest clubs grow more ie field 3 teams there is every chance the draw will be done 'around' them. Ok on current form/theories it would look like this

2nd grade will have the 2nd Cardiff,City,Terr,Warners,KV and then prob a Woy team if they in next year, these 2 grades would have promotion/relegation on a year by year basis

3rd grade- 2nd Wyong,Singo,Nelsons,Mac,the proposed Maitland team and room for others to put forward a seniors team/or third side for the bigger clubs, even Gossy could of played in 2nd grade and Woy play in this one!!

Basically the success is shared, the clubs build while not under pressure to feild all teams,you play standard teams in yr grade, not stacked teams with 1's players on a 'bye' which will hurt new teams like Maitland next year as it is currently!!

Thoughts?

As for 18's I have said before this age group would do just as well if it went back to seperate Coast and Newwy comps esp if the bdafl send a team to Sydney.

Sounds like this would be the best option with the 18's playing on a Friday night after the 16's if your looking at pathways than this is the best option as you'll have at least 50 extra players on the coast and i persume the same in newy now isn't this what were after more players?

Well here are my predictions for the BDAFL Presentation night:

Elliott-Davey Medal: Angus Darling

Reserve Grade: Blake Erikson

U18s: Max Mumford

Congrads to James Foot for Ressie's medal. As shown by his 4 goal effort from midfield on the weekend he is very dangerous midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back