Retired Justin Clarke (2011-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ripe rookies
12 Dec 2011
By Jason Phelan

Justin Clarke, the centre half-back from Booleroo Centre in South Australia, loomed as a late swooper in the days before the draft, but also went unclaimed.

Phil Harper (Crows operations manager)

"There's a few guys training at different clubs and we've had a look at them training at the different clubs," said Harper, whose Crows will have picks 5, 23, 41, 58, 73 in the rookie draft.
"We've had a look at what Port's doing and there's a few South Australians and other players at clubs in Melbourne and Sydney and Brisbane.
"So we're just having a look as there's some we're interested in that are training at other clubs, we'll just see how it all falls on the day as to what is left over I suppose."

Given that Clarke was the only South Australian on our permission to train list, it sounds like the Crows had some interest in him.

Improvement drives new rookies
Jackie Chan
1:10 PM Thu 15 Dec, 2011

Raw defender Justin Clarke, who will soon make the permanent move to Brisbane from Booleroo in country South Australia, listed endurance and strength as his best assets.

For Clarke, getting a chance to work with the Lions meant he could finally spend more time developing his game against quality opposition.”

“Coming from country footy, I didn’t do a lot of muscular work. I’m fair way behind so I’ll just try and work on that and build up my body strength and endurance,” Clarke said.

6507705655_8b5a287d2f.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Matt Rendell audio (11:30 to 12:30)

Stephen Rowe:

"Matt, just a hypothetical, you probably don't like dealing with them. But pick 27 comes up, would you go for Michael Talia, who (sic) is Daniel's brother, Sam Frost or Justin Clarke?"

Matt Rendell:

"Justin Clarke..." laughs "I went up to see Justin Clarke play in one of the finals, he was pretty average. It was a reserves game here, and he played a couple of good games up there".

"I would think all three of those lads will get picked Rowey, I just don't know what order. It's really hard with Justin because he just didn't play enough top quality football in the SANFL, he only played the one game."

Crows board

Rendell is a bloody good actor if his real intention was to pick him. He almost laughed when his name was suggested, he didn't say he was ordinary only the game he played for North was ordinary. Said it was Frost, Talia and then Clark in terms of the players he was asked about.

It'll be interesting, I think we'll look at Clark with our last pick if we haven't grabbed any KPD's yet, otherwise I think he'd be one we'd hope to grab in the rookie draft.

Sounds like a Rendell special. He always plays down the ones he wants. :p

Maybe Rendell is saying he's not that interested in Clarke, so other clubs think we ARE interested in Clarke, so someone else takes him earlier on, so that Talia and Frost fall through to us??!

Or maybe we are reading too much into what he said...:p

For those interested, Clakre has a terrific wingspan, runs a sib 3 second 20, solid agility and poor endurance. Has a solid leap.

Never seen him unfortunately, so can't quite comment. His testing results are pretty good. Endurance isn't horrid, it's a 12.28 shuttle....given age and size, it's ok.

His other testing is good, especially length and sprint.

He didn't imply he was ordinary as such - he said he went to watch him play a match in which he was ordinary, but that he was definitely in consideration. He said the issue with Clarke was that he had a lack of exposure in the seniors and that would hurt his chances of being drafted. Still, he obviously rates the guy somewhat, putting him on roughly the same footing as Frost and Talia, with Frost slightly ahead.

Brett Anderson went to pick 40 in the morning and had Justin Clarke locked in at 38.

Here's his response to me

@hdecure Yeah it is. Some clubs like him, others don't. I think Haw are in the former category. Despite reports, I think Adel are the latter

HFF_07's Rookie Draft preview

Justin Clarke (195cm, 83kg, 18.11.93, North Adelaide)

The Zyrus Manson of South Australia this year. Clarke has been dominating SA country football this year and seems to have come out of nowhere. Played a couple of games for North Adelaide to qualify for the draft and did reasonably well there. A 2.97sec - 20m showcases his speed whilst his long and penetrating kick has seen him likened to one of our very own. Dustin Fletcher.

Justin Clarke's one game for the North Adelaide Reserves

Date: Sat 23/07/11
Round: 17
Opponent: Central Districts
Number: 58
Effective kicks: 5
Ineffective kicks: 2
Effective handballs: 2
Ineffective handballs: 1
Contested marks: 0
Uncontested marks: 3
Frees for: 0
Frees against: 0
Tackles: 1
Inside 50s: 0
Rebound 50s: 3
Goals: 0
Behinds: 0

Central Districts won by 17 points.

Based on this info:

Woodville Cricket Club also has been trying to lure the right-arm fast bowler to the city.

and this website, it would appear that his middle name is 'Paul'.

Booleroo Centre District School Newsletter
Filipe Nogueira - Deputy Principal

During the recent school holidays Justin, along with parents Sue and Ian and Filipe Nogueira attended a presentation ceremony at Government House hosted by His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce. Justin Clarke was one of 10 recipients across the state of this year’s Order of Australia Student Citizen Award.

Justin received the award in recognition of his contributions both at school and in the wider community as well as the excellence he has shown in numerous pursuits. At school Justin is a SRC President, a House Captain, and a role model to many students for his work ethic and willingness to help other students and teachers. He is a regular on the BBQ for fundraisers and is always willing to help out his classmates with a question they may have. Justin upholds our school values of Respect, Resilience, Responsibility, Integrity and applies our motto to all that he does: Strive to Excel.

In the wider community, Justin has delivered to a number of local towns recounting his adventures to World War 1 Commemorative Ceremony on the battlefields of the Western Front in Villers-Bretonneux, France. He is an outstanding player and volunteer with local Football and Cricket clubs and in amongst these commitments and his SACE studies he has found the time to work towards his Pilot’s licence.

justinclarke.jpg

Australian Day Award Recipients

Council formally considered and assessed nominations received for the 2010 Australia Day Awards. Three Awards
are provided, namely Citizen of the Year, Young Citizen of the Year and Community Event of Year. The 2010 Award Recipients are:
* Citizen of the Year - Mr Geoffrey Hitch of Wilmington
* Young Citizen of the Year - Mr Justin Clarke of Booleroo Centre
* Community Event of the Year - Appila Football Club Reunion and Backyard Football Day

2011 SOUTH AUSTRALIAN YOUNG RURAL AMBASSADOR AWARD

The aims of the award are:-
• to highlight the importance of youth in rural South Australia and in particular the agricultural show movement.
• to identify and encourage enthusiastic, skilful, industrious and unselfish young people.
• to give young people a forum to express their views through education and experience and develop closer links with the primary industries in South Australia.

The winners of this award were Justin Clarke and Aaron Bain from Gawler whilst Amy Lymburn from Clare was runner-up. Justin commented that he felt very honoured to have been selected for this award. He feels that it is a great chance for him to meet some new people and at the same time represent the young people of our area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justin's player profile on The Lions' website (and Grim's quote above) indicates:

Background
Hailing from the small country town of Booleroo - which is located three hours north of South Australia - Justin Clarke has become widely recognised for his all-round sporting ability.

Booleroo Centre is a little way out in the boonies, but somewhere north of Alice Springs it aint.

Also notice that Justin has only recently turned 18, so there's potential for a few more cm in height - could be a very exciting prospect.

The Adelaide Advertiser had a small article about Clarke achieving a 99.95 ATAR - perfect scores in all but one of his subjects.

The Adelaide Advertiser had a small article about Clarke achieving a 99.95 ATAR - perfect scores in all but one of his subjects.

Well that's just not good enough. Delist.

First impressions
10:42 AM Fri 13 Jan, 2012

There is a huge difference in the intensity and professionalism. Everything is done perfectly, and with maximum intensity - whether it’s to do with training or your recovery. There’s no skimping on any aspect.

Just doing a warm-up drill with the Lions is the equivalent of a flat-chat full-ground exercise in country football.

6552437105_4953d0114a.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Clarke's steep learning curve
8:31 AM Tue 17 Jan, 2012

Not long after arriving in Queensland, Clarke was pleased to learn that he had blitzed his South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE), which allowed him to hand-pick his preferred University course.

“I’m still undecided, but at this stage I think I’ll defer study for about a year just so that I can get used to the intensity of training and moving away from home,” Clarke said.

“I’ve applied for Aerospace Engineering up here at University of Queensland (UQ), and I look forward to starting that.”

“Eventually it could be a bit of an outlet for me if I can work it in with my footy. It should provide a good balance.”

6552437609_6de5999116.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Obviously first year on an AFL list is a big deal, but I'd have thought it'd be easier to adjust to a new city if you did something social and productive out of footy like go to uni.

Obviously first year on an AFL list is a big deal, but I'd have thought it'd be easier to adjust to a new city if you did something social and productive out of footy like go to uni.

Their schedule is pretty full on as it is. Would be easy to be overwhelmed if you take on too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back