Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm doing a newsletter thing now to paying subscribers so i can't give too much away but get away from bodybuilding, we're footballers and they don't do football splits do they?

your focus should be strength above and if you;re not strong then get stronger

you can still pop some bodybuilding type sets/reps in there but if you're not recovering then decrease, and don't worry to much about arms and such

a traditional leg day is way out of the question - focus on squats or deadlifts (i'd do deads if i was you) with some low vol single leg stuff and plenty of glute stuff

and eat

Ive basically just switched to a higher reps lower weight setup instead of trying to set my PR for Squat/Press/Pull 3 times a week.

Something like 5min row(ergometer), (squat warmup) to 20xbodyweight squats (back/front), (straight to press warmup) 20xbw bench / military press(less than bw, im not a beast), (straight to pull warmup) and a couple sets of deadlifts/powercleans.

I alternate between the a/b exercises each session and then spend about 15 minutes on a mat doing core/stretching stuff afterwards. Oh and I put a pullup bar at home so I am getting as many of those I can in most evenings.

Then once every other week or so when I have a break in training or whatever (simulating the bye) I will go heavy and do something like 3x5 or 3x3 to really tax everything.

not a good idea kaydub, strength will decrease and thus speed which is not good for football

you can easily lift heavy for upper and lower 1/week during in season and have the rest in the 6 - 12 rep range

higher reps build more fatigue and you'll overtrain from too much volume 1000 x before you'll overtrain on intensity

i'm doing a newsletter thing now to paying subscribers so i can't give too much away but get away from bodybuilding, we're footballers and they don't do football splits do they?

your focus should be strength above and if you;re not strong then get stronger

you can still pop some bodybuilding type sets/reps in there but if you're not recovering then decrease, and don't worry to much about arms and such

a traditional leg day is way out of the question - focus on squats or deadlifts (i'd do deads if i was you) with some low vol single leg stuff and plenty of glute stuff

and eat

Yeh thanks, with legs i really have concentrated on strength with squats, deadlifts and lunges and not the machine hamstring curls, leg extensions, etc that many do.
Also arms (especially bi's) get the least attention from myself as everytime i do pullups/rows they feel pretty taxed anyway.
Am thinking now just 2 full body days with squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench press, military press, rows and some core work spead amongst them (possibly mon & wed) might work better.
thanks for the help.

Just wondering if anybody else here incorporates a leg day into any other day? At the moment im only getting to the gym twice (3 times if im lucky) a week so im finding my chest/tri day is blowing out to also do legs. My other day i'll do shoulders/back/bi's.

@cptkirk

What are some good abdominal exercises that can really target the lower 2 or 4 abs?

Also i start to use my back a bit too much when doing some ab exercises, does this mean o, too fatigued and should stop? it always happens in the last few sets ect

the abs (rectus abdominis which is useless for footy by the way) is 1 muscle broken up by fascia, tendon and ligaments that give it the 6 pack look when bodyfat is low enough

if you're lower back is hurting then yes you are using your lower back too much but only because your deep core muscles (the one's that actually improve your performance and support your spine) have shut off from weakness so stop the set before this happens

the abs (rectus abdominis which is useless for footy by the way) is 1 muscle broken up by fascia, tendon and ligaments that give it the 6 pack look when bodyfat is low enough

if you're lower back is hurting then yes you are using your lower back too much but only because your deep core muscles (the one's that actually improve your performance and support your spine) have shut off from weakness so stop the set before this happens

Whats the best way to train 'deep core muscles'? Excluding heavy squats, deads etc.

Core activation stuff.

Squats/deads etc are doing your big muscles. Need to specifically activate the little core muscles to get them working. If you're like me & 99% of the male population, you're terrible at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i cycle them through my deadlift programs

better or worse? depends on your mobility

if you can't keep a neutral spine during traditional deadlifts then better...if so then not quite as good as they can bang the hips up a lot if you do them exclusively (ask any powerlifter)

try doing 8 - 12 week dealift cycle then 4 - 8 weeks of sumo's

Core activation stuff.

Squats/deads etc are doing your big muscles. Need to specifically activate the little core muscles to get them working. If you're like me & 99% of the male population, you're terrible at it.

Actually squats and deads (assuming you're doing free weight barbell training) will also activate your smaller muscles, as they are the balancing muscles. and if you've ever squatted with more than 1x your bodyweight you'll know how much you need to keep your balance.

Squats below parallel with good form are still the best core workout you'll ever do. Once your hips are below knees, lifting that weight back up requires huge activation from your posterior chain and core.

sure it's a great workout for core (squats and deads), but you NEED to isolate it too

you'll only develop core stability for squats and deads otherwise....

stability is specific as everything else, you can have great squatting core stability but poor push up core stability so it needs work to resist forces from all directions not just one

stability is specific as everything else, you can have great squatting core stability but poor push up core stability so it needs work to resist forces from all directions not just one

Yeah right, I'm not advocating just doing the squat, but also lifts like the press, deadlift and rows which go through the whole range of push, pull and lift movements as well as bodyweight exercises which require a rigid core like pullups, chins and dips.

Isolation exercises, especially sit ups are typically bad for your spine as they involve lots of abnormal spinal movement and stress. I spent many years doing situps, bridges and other ridiculous exercises in the gym trying to build my core strength, after 1 year of lifting heavy my core is far stronger and defined than ever (and I'm 35).

core training needs to train the following:

- lumbar stabilisation
- anti flexion
- anti extension
- anti rotation
- anti lateral rotation

squats do 1, deads do 1, oh presses does 1 and rows can do 1 or 2 depending on the exercise so it's clear that you need to do ACTUAL core exercises, you can't just rely on the big compounds to get the job done, considering core strength is most people's weakness

Shaquille O' Neal

This is a message from Dr. O'Neal.

Don't take Steroids!

527546_140190519442063_126456347482147_148575_34840073_n.jpg

You'd want to hope so!

Couldnt find anything more on the pic (although it was only posted a few mins ago).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back