Oppo Camp The non North thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This drove me nuts last year with the Suns and I think you can triple that this year with GWS. Do we need every time a Suns/Giants player is able to kick the ball without falling over - "Wow, that's promising - he looks like he'll be a star." If they got within 15 goals of an opponent - "Wow, that was a spirited performance, they never gave up. In a few years these guys will be a force."

Bullshit

Of course they'll be good eventually - the Suns and GWS have been hand delivered every top young kid (and a few top players poached from others - apparently the recruiting of Scully was "genius" according to Demetriou. How much "genius" do you need to throw a bucket of $$$ at a 20yo and expect him to take it???) in the country and will continue to be spoon fed up by the AFL until they do succeed no matter how long it takes. Last night the Giants showed a bit of spirit but really the Swans were in third gear all night, are hardly a gun side when flat out, and they still were never threatened, conceded just 5 goals and won by over 10.

Last year the Suns were absolutely pumped in more games than not but no one ever dared say how badly they sucked. I remember after the Essendon game when they lost by 137 points and were 90 down at quarter time that one commentator said they were "A bit off their game."

According to BT last night Izzy Folau "showed enough". FFS - he got 3 possessions and 1 mark. The only thing he got right was that the didn't put his jumper on inside out. He looked totally lost!

I doubt I can watch too many Giants games this year - firstly because the games with be a dull as last night's, but also because of the ridiculously over-positive commentary.

Completely agree mate, they were bloody hopeless.

Got to expect that though MM, the commentators for lack of a better sentence are in the back pocket of the AFL.

Theyll be doing everything they can to keep the overlords on side so they continue to get an easy pay packet, and the broadcasting rights with their channels. I agree theyre too positive but with the new teams you just have to tune it out (or find a decent radio coverage where theyll actually call it as they see it) because theyre never going to put the AFLs noses out of line while so much money rests on their calling.

You're probably right but that's a real shame on two fronts

1) That the broadcast of the game is so hopelessly compromised that people are unable to say what they really think in relation to certain teams or players in fear of upsetting big brother.
2) That the bar for GWS/Gold Coast is set so low externally that it is just about impossible for them to fail. From my experience and in most ventures, this might make everyone feel warm and fuzzy for a short while but it restricts any real motivation or improvement.

I think the best that could be said for them as a team last night was that they weren't awful.

I watched the first half, thought they tried hard, put their bodies on the line, wondered why we can't beat the Swans and switched to another channel.

Did anyone hear Sheedy's pre-match speech? Told the boys he was going to tell them about his life. Said it would only take a minute. Told them his parents had given him life. Then he reminded the boys that they had parents too and they'd all be watching.

Jesus H Christ - and he's getting a million bucks a year or something.

How does a side who just entered the competition have more cohesive kickouts than us?

My thoughts exactly.

Their transition out of defense last night was markedly better than ours was last season. They fell down across half forward but that is to be expected.

The sorts of running in numbers, drawing tacklers before dishing off, and spotting up targets after getting through the press that GWS displayed last night would have us gushing on this board if we were to do it against Essendon in Rd 1.

I was very impressed with GWS last night.

They looked good getting it out of defence because they had 18 blokes in there. They over possessed once in the middle because they had 17 blokes behind them.

Nice way to look slightly fluent and not lose by 150 points.

Not so much going to win you matches.

Agree with their transition out of defence, was impressive at times. Their kicking into the forward line let them down the majority of the time. Few easy goals missed too. All in all was a better first half of footy then I expected.

I watched the first half, thought they tried hard, put their bodies on the line, wondered why we can't beat the Swans and switched to another channel.

Did anyone hear Sheedy's pre-match speech? Told the boys he was going to tell them about his life. Said it would only take a minute. Told them his parents had given him life. Then he reminded the boys that they had parents too and they'd all be watching.

Jesus H Christ - and he's getting a million bucks a year or something.

Haven't seen it but obviously not spine tingling, and as Marstermind said, 'over positive' has a new word entered the lexicon?, there's negative, positive and now overpositive, I like it.:thumbsu:

They looked good getting it out of defence because they had 18 blokes in there. They over possessed once in the middle because they had 17 blokes behind them.

Nice way to look slightly fluent and not lose by 150 points.

Not so much going to win you matches.

Too true.

My thoughts exactly.

Their transition out of defense last night was markedly better than ours was last season. They fell down across half forward but that is to be expected.

The sorts of running in numbers, drawing tacklers before dishing off, and spotting up targets after getting through the press that GWS displayed last night would have us gushing on this board if we were to do it against Essendon in Rd 1.

If we plonk that many players in the backline and flood the s**t out of the game we'd all be pissed off.

I didn't think the Sheedy pre-game speech was that bad.

While it wasnt bad I think the major criticism has come from it not being 'Sheedy-like' or the level we expect from Sheedy.

Basically all he said was "My parents are dead, but yours arent and theyre in this building tonight to watch you, make them proud."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts exactly.

I was very impressed with GWS last night.

Sydney 71 I50's
GWS 28 I50's (from memory)

They had plenty of practise, and plenty of players down back to join the charge forward. They're chock full of very talented kids and still have their number one draft choice to add, and a few older heads who would've been handy last night.

When Sydney switched on they made them look like the mostly U19's team that they are though. Talented, but not up to AFL standard for the most part.

I've got McDonald, Smith and Giles in my DT, they gathered 244 pts b/w them. Not bad I reckon for 3 guys around the 100k mark.

I really liked some of the stuff Coniglio did. They were ok for their 1st ever game. Can't expect too much from 15 or so teenagers and a few old hacks. I expect them to really cop some really heavy beatings in the 2nd half of the season. We play them last game, might be needing a decent win then to get into top 8, get a home final etc by then.

Sydney 71 I50's
GWS 28 I50's (from memory)

They had plenty of practise, and plenty of players down back to join the charge forward.

We have had 'plenty of practice' since Bon took over but we were still shizen in transition out of defense last season.

When you consider how much the game has changed since Sheedy (and to a lesser extent Chocco) finished up at their former clubs, I think you have to hand it to them for how well GWS competed on a structural level last night (at least until half time after which point the mens' bodies obviously began to overwhelm the kids' bodies).

Gun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back