AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

LT Smash

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2011
Ogdenville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So we know that the old home/away rule is a thing of the past. The AFL has explained that the new rule to determine which team wears the white shorts is based on the premise that the AFL wants to avoid adding white to a uniform that does not already contain white. Consequently, when Essendon travels to Perth to play Fremantle, the AFL has decided that the purple and white Dockers should wear the white shorts rather than the red and black Bombers. I wonder if anyone from AFL HQ would care to explain why on the very same day, the blue and gold Eagles are wearing white shorts playing against the black and WHITE Magpies.

So we know that the old home/away rule is a thing of the past. The AFL has explained that the new rule to determine which team wears the white shorts is based on the premise that the AFL wants to avoid adding white to a uniform that does not already contain white. Consequently, when Essendon travels to Perth to play Fremantle, the AFL has decided that the purple and white Dockers should wear the white shorts rather than the red and black Bombers. I wonder if anyone from AFL HQ would care to explain why on the very same day, the blue and gold Eagles are wearing white shorts playing against the black and WHITE Magpies.
You just anwsered your collingwood question. The other one, well...

But seriously, people get to worked up about colour clashes. Not hard to tell which teams which.

I agree, Collingwood seem to exempt from all rules for some reason.

I actually just made a thread about this (in the wrong part of the forum too *doh!!*) here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/posts/24624731/

Didn't realise this one had been made.

It is crap that Freo have to wear white. Why cant the Bombers wear Red shorts?

The AFL has explained that the new rule to determine which team wears the white shorts is based on the premise that the AFL wants to avoid adding white to a uniform that does not already contain white. Consequently, when Essendon travels to Perth to play Fremantle, the AFL has decided that the purple and white Dockers should wear the white shorts rather than the red and black Bombers.

I could of sworn the Bombers have white numbers on their guernseys. Farcical rule.

Essendon in red shorts vs Freo in purple shorts looked good last year. I'm not sure why they didn't repeat it.

The AFL is finally coming around though which is good. Carlton wearing its home jumper and blue shorts vs West Coast was silly though, the Blues simple should have worn their clash jumper.

Essendon in red shorts vs Freo in purple shorts looked good last year. I'm not sure why they didn't repeat it.

The AFL is finally coming around though which is good. Carlton wearing its home jumper and blue shorts vs West Coast was silly though, the Blues simple should have worn their clash jumper.

I'm pretty sure that if Carlton wore their clash jumper it would have caused a worse clash...

I'm pretty sure that if Carlton wore their clash jumper it would have caused a worse clash...

How so? Eagles are about 50% navy, 30% yellow, 20% white. How could Carlton wearing 100% navy beat 100% bright blue?

Carlton wears its clash jumper against the predominantly navy Melbourne Demons and it works perfectly.

I agree, Collingwood seem to exempt from all rules for some reason.

I actually just made a thread about this (in the wrong part of the forum too *doh!!*) here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/posts/24624731/

Didn't realise this one had been made.

It is crap that Freo have to wear white. Why cant the Bombers wear Red shorts?

Sorry mate but I think your letting your hate for Collingwood cloud your judgement. We wear our home jumper (black with white stripes with black shorts) every home game. Which is how it should be (Not just for us but for everyone). When we play a team that wears majority dark colour with white: Port, St.Kilda, Carlton, Fremantle, even and West Coast and Adelaide, we wear our white clash jumper with white shorts. The exception is made against some teams: Richmond, Melbourne, and Essendon, who don't have any white but still have a dark kit. The exception is that we wear our home jumper with white shorts, which actually works as our home jumper has a considerable amount of white on it. Against the rest of the teams: Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Sydney, Brisbane, Geelong, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs, we also wear home jumper with white shorts because there is no clash. This happened Queens Birthday and I was at the game, in the top deck and I had no issue telling the teams apart. Isn't that what the whole clash issue is about???

So your logic is flawed in that sense. Now onto teams that actually are exempt to the rule. A serial offender is Carlton. While it may not be their own fault, it's certainly very frustrating. Last week against West Coast, the home team, West Coast, were made to wear white shorts with their home jumper (in a home game!!!) so that their kit appeared lighter than Carlton's all Navy kit!! Now the issue may not have been as bad if Carlton didn't have a clash jumper, but they do!!! Richmond aren't as bad but their clash jumper is very average.

Now onto probably the worst of the lot, Essendon. Not only do they not have a clash jumper (The fat sash is not a clash jumper!), but, as we can actually see right now, the AFL allows them to wear their home kit when they play away! It's ridiculous that the AFL continues to let this happen. Even making them wear Red shorts would be a good enough alternate (which is what they've done a few times). But ultimately, they should be brought down to earth with the rest of the teams.

I do have a big opinion on clash jumpers but it's fairly simple. Teams should wear their home jumpers at every possible opportunity. But when they play a team who they clash with, they must provide an adequate clash kit, complete with Jumper, shorts and socks. At the end of the day it should be about easy watching for the viewers, but common sense and basic logic need to apply.

If you think I'm wrong, then head over to the Footy Graphic Design thread and see what response you'll get or I am happy to discuss further.

West Coast having to wear white shorts with a navy home jumper against Carlton, traveelling in their navy home jumper, is ridiculous. Why don't Carlton wear their clash? It happened in the semi as well - one of the worst clashes going around at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of years ago North hosted Fremantle at home. Freo obviously couldn't wear their white guernsey because North is largely white. North wore their home white guernsey and with blue shorts. Freo wore the purple jumper with white shorts. Not a huge clash but just looked silly.

Different rules apply to Essendon and Collingwood to protect the integrity of their traditional strips. Freo's traditional colours are purple, red, green and white. When teams decide to change colours, they forfeit privileges such as choice of shorts colour. This is how the AFL works, regardless of any so-called white shorts rule..

I actually think Carlton need to bring back a white clash for that reason. Either that, or WCE should ditch their current home and either wear a navy version of their royal blue jumper, or have their away kit as their home, because their current home can cause clashes with clashes.

I don't hate Collingwood, however while I agree teams should wear home colours where possible, I think that if the new white shorts rule is to be used properly, then the Pies should have worn home with white shorts. Only fair considering Freo are being forced to wear white shorts (with purple home) vs Essendon with home colours. It has been mentioned before that they wore a red shorts last year against Freo's purple, I too saw the game and there was no issue.

Richmond needs a better clash jumper (eg, Yellow jumper with Black sash, with yellow shorts) and Bombers need a clash jumper altogether. I like the grey ones that have been posted on the "Create a jumper" forum.

Also North need to get over their little white shorts issue, they appear to be avoiding wearing them. When they played vs Hawks, I think they should have worn white shorts. Don't get me wrong, I like their new clash/away.

As for the GF 2 years ago where Saints were forced to wear their clash kit, why didn't they go with a "retro" theme from that era, eg, Pies wear white clash but with black shorts, and Saints wear their home but with white shorts. But that's in the past.

Different rules apply to Essendon and Collingwood to protect the integrity of their traditional strips. Freo's traditional colours are purple, red, green and white. When teams decide to change colours, they forfeit privileges such as choice of shorts colour. This is how the AFL works, regardless of any so-called white shorts rule..

which traditional collingwood strips integrity is being protected?? the black one or the white one??

We should apply that logic for everything then. Since Collingwood and Essendon decided to change homegrounds to MCG/Etihad, they clearly forfeit privileges such as home ground advantage. Should be forced to play all fixtures against Fremantle and West Coast at Subiaco Oval to protect the integrity of their traditional homeground.:rolleyes:

Logical solution is for all teams to have 1 dark strip and 1 light strip and if they play away, they must conform to the home team's wishes. Ie. Fremantle wear a dark (purple uniform), Essendon must wear a light uniform. When Essendon play at home, they can wear their traditional strip all they like. It's an evolving competition and tradition can be respected but not at the expense of farcical decisions the AFL makes in favour of teams likes Essendon.

Because Collingwoods home outfit is predominantly dark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back