Moved Thread Was that the best officated Grand Final for the past 20 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

It was one of the worst officiated GFs I can remember, normally they are the best umpired games of the year with no noticeable advantage to either team but yesterday they were inconsistent and clearly favoured the Hawks. Soft frees to them weren't paid the other way, the free kick count of 21-10 in Hawthorn's favour says it all, that's just unacceptable in what was a pretty even contest and could have unfairly decided the result. Thankfully the Swans were good enough to overcome it.

thought it was pretty good and they let it go. hawthorn got the better run. still it wasn't bad and thank god it wasn't like last week which was completely bi est.

if the umpires umpired like this every game of the year i would be happy...but during the home and away rounds they tend to pick out soft bullshit ticky touch stuff constantly which makes the game so frustrating

Was horrible during many parts of the game, Sydney got a few softies, but Hawthorn got too many, far too many. And the one handed handballs they got away with and we didn't was ****ing unbelievable. And since when can a player punch the ball over the line not in a marking contest? Most deliberate act of the game and nothing, was 20m away.

That Richards call of deliberate still boggles the mind, more so by the fact as i was sitting directly behind him when he kicked, and watched the ball leg break on the bounce out of bounds, would have gone another 20m if not for that bounce.

Pretty poor. Hawthorn were given an armchair ride and still fell over. I am desperate to see a change to the interpretation of holding the ball when a player on the ground is buried. In this game, only the Sydney players were pinged for it. Nobody should. The "dragging it in" change was adequate.

I'm not sure if I was imaging something but in the last quarter a hawks defender seemed to hack the ball out of a swans hands, did anyone notice that or was my bleary judgement out a bit?

Kicking in danger? Yeah one should've been paid to the Swans in the last quarter.

OP has not seen previous 19 grand finals.

Horrible display of bias umpiring favouring the hawks. Again. For the good of the game, we're just lucky the best team won this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires did a bloody good job.

I hardly noticed them which is a good sign.

At first I thought Mitchell's 50 was bull dust but then after a few replays the umps got it right.
Maybe couple of holding the Ball they could've paid, Goodes got away with 1 , but apart from that prolly the best they've ever been I reckon, definitely had no influence on the game I felt.

Agree or disagree?

I thought they made a few pretty bad errors

Problem still remains, different games get different treatment which shouldn't be the case

I thought there was some dubious holding the ball decisions.... one against Kennedy for example. Always going to have those calls though because of the confusion and stupidity of the rule ATM. In particular, the 'dragged the ball in' and 'didn't make a genuine attempt' are baffling at times and this grand final was no exception.

The Hale free kick was the stupidest decision that resulted in a goal.

Hawthorn got a better run IMO.

Need to put the whistle away. Which they did do for a while, then they just like to call something idiotic to remind everyone they're there.

This deliberate anomaly continued. That one against Richards was it? Complete and utter codswallop. How a bloke can be running the ball out of the defensive 50, kick under pressure, trying to put it into space for a team mate, only to spray it and see it go out, and get called deliberate for it, is farcical.

Need to put the whistle away. Which they did do for a while, then they just like to call something idiotic to remind everyone they're there.

This deliberate anomaly continued. That one against Richards was it? Complete and utter codswallop. How a bloke can be running the ball out of the defensive 50, kick under pressure, trying to put it into space for a team mate, only to spray it and see it go out, and get called deliberate for it, is farcical.
Yep, that was pretty much my only gripe for the whole day. Wish we could get 27 weeks of this standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back