Social Science UFC vs. WWE

What is more enjoyable to watch?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

MMA > Pro Wrestling for mine. Some wrestlers are legitimate tough guys though, Lesnar showed that it is possible to cross over and have a huge impact (though he did have a very strong amateur background, NCAA Div 1 champ etc).

Lesnar is just one of those freak athletes who could have succeeded at any sport. 275+ pounds who could move like a 175 pound cruiserweight.

How many athletes could do that, then turn around and lift up a 450 pound guy like Big Show like he was nothing?

I watched WWE from when I was about 6 until I was 11 and got sucked into the story lines, the characters, and the entire WWE universe. Even though I knew it was staged it didn't bother me, I just loved it. Not sure what happened, I may have just grown out of it or maybe I couldn't handle how s**t the new direction they took was after the Chris Benoit incident. Come to think of it I phased it out shortly after that happened.

UFC never caught me like WWE did, but I will watch it whenever I get the chance, just because it is great seeing two athletes give it everything they have. That being said I prefer the actual sport of MMA rather than the spectacle of UFC.

Lesnar is just one of those freak athletes who could have succeeded at any sport. 275+ pounds who could move like a 175 pound cruiserweight.

How many athletes could do that, then turn around and lift up a 450 pound guy like Big Show like he was nothing?

The biggest thing stopping Brock from obtaining huge success is that he is mentally weak, he had a good chin but reacted poorly to getting punched in the face ie running away, doing 360 degree spins and going into the fetal position as seen in the Velasquez/Carwin/Overeem fights.

Btw he mentioned he was in his best shape ever post diverticulitis and never felt as good physically before a fight, even after his retirement he echoed this sentiment which suggests it is the case, that knee would put Lesnar out diverticulitis or no.

Was a huge fan of both back in the day, got hooked on wrestling in the late 80's. Dropped off in the mid 90's, got back on the train in the late 90's (after playing WWF War Zone on the playstation). Became addicted to it, still have the magazines, dvds and t-shirts (even though i don't wear them out in public, i'll wear the 2002 SCSA and HHH shirts to bed). Slowly dropped off in the late 2000's, have really only watched WrestleMania over the last 3 years. Don't have the same desire, patience or passion for it that i used to have.

Was not as hooked to the UFC, i followed it for a while. But over the last 2 years i wouldn't be able to tell you who the champions were back then, or who they are now. I saw a Forrest Griffin collection dvd that i must buy, which might spark me back into watching it regularly again.

Watched WWE (WWF) back in the good ol days with Stone Cold, The Rock, Mick Foley etc. really went off it after the WCW invasion.. still watch it here n there but does not have the same appeal as it used to (maybe I just grew up?? :D).

As for UFC, I have been a big follower for the past 5 or so years. I just think it is great to see two athletes going against each other with so much skill..the fights are so intense..If you havent seen Shogun v Henderson I suggest you check it out!! one of my faves of all time.

Also with the UFC you can see how they have adopted the advertising/build up in the same way WWE does it - fighters have "nick names" and they have named special finishing moves... I believe it is marketed very well, and it will continue to grow....well that's what I think anyway...

Sport (UFC) v "sports entertainment"

WWE is amusing in very small doses, haven't really watched UFC because Herald-Sun says it is bad*

* Post may contain traces of sarcasm

True dat. And he has to be the most one dimensional fighter to hold a UFC title for a long time as well. It shits me that a lot of fans won't give him his due credit for what he achieved. Anyone who could finish Mir, Couture and Carwin with that little experience should get their dues, can't see anyone doing something similar again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very different one is fake and entertainment the other is real..
I remember a long time ago my old man introduced me to a little thing called the royal rumble, and a man named Brett heart. And that was it for me, along with Shawn michales, stone cold, the rock and the greatest of all Mick foley. (many more) It was great great entertainment, the whole attitude era was nuts. I still stand by rumble 99 is the best ppv ever! The I quit match and Vince winning the rumble?!? Wtf?
More guys like Benoit, Jericho and Angle just took it to that next level of great fun.
I still remember the day I stopped watching wwf/wwe. Is was the day Kurt angle left... It was very sad, turned into some PG crap with no more puppies ;( (I miss ya king!)

UFC had me hooked after someone showed me TUF season umm an early one with ken shamrock as a coach.
I can understand how it can become boring to some people but real mma is great to watch, with guys like GSP, Jon jones, Anderson silva, Cain valasques ect, and I do agree that some fighters stay on way way past their use by date, but to me UFC is everything I enjoy about fighting.

I tried to get into UFC but all the bouts eventually seem to devolve into grappling on the floor and I find that really uninteresting.

Would rather watch boxing or something.

Although it's not what it was, I've always had time for the WWE as entertainment.

I was never a hardcore fan, but once you look at it beyond face value; behind the scenes at the characters, storylines, controversy, the wrestling language, history etc., it reveals a much storied path from both the people, and the industry itself.

I can't explain it properly, but to me at least, the most intriguing part was how they used to tread the line between reality and what was just a wrestling storyline. The characters, attitudes and the egos were just as interesting as any match. In its prime, this was something they did beautifully.

Haven't watched it in years, but I'll still get caught up every now and then watching some old clips on YouTube. I think as pure entertainment, it was pretty much unparalelled for a while there.

Loved WWE when I was a kid, watched it from ~1999-2006 (ages 6-13). Favourites were Kurt Angle (see sig :p), Jericho, Austin, Benoit, Undertaker, HBK, the Hardy Boyz and of course The Great One. Yeah I had a lot of favourites. Then I sorta just got sick of it, then we got rid of Foxtel and I saw it as no great loss. Got it back this year for the footy and gave it a go during exam/procrastination period, it really isn't good anymore. The storylines suck, the characters suck, the good guys always win (and if they lose it's never clean) and everything's about John Cena and CM Punk, the mid card guys/tag teams hardly get any proper feuds.

I tried to get into watching MMA but I just can't.

I was disappointed when the WWF changed it's name just to appease a bunch of animal loving hippies. Of course real world circumstances dictated they needed to but it wasn't in the spirit of the WWF 'universe'.

I loved it in the late 90's/early 2000's around the time of The Rock/Stone Cold Steve Austin/Triple H/Test/Chris Jericho etc (those are the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head).

Back