Retired 25. Jared Rivers (2013- 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that attitude that cost us this season.

Playing Simpkin and Murchoch over Wojo and Byrnes.....in a finals game?

Sucks knowing we beat Hawthorn, Adelaide and Sydney just a few weeks before the finals and then loosing to a team lower then us.

I don't think Wojcinski would have been the difference. IMO the difference was we had a 198cm ruckmen up against 211 cm monster. First 30 minutes we couldn't get our hands on it.

I am all for a heavy rotation policy. Keeps the players fresh for finals and develops the young players for the changing of the guard.

I don't know why we are trading in players in their late 20s when I do not believe we can win a flag in the next two seasons with our weakish midfield.

Culture. Big big stuff, best thing you can ever do for your culture is to try and win the flag every yearregardless of whether on paper it looks achievable-this group has been characterised by that hunger-Scott said he would attempt to keep hitting finals whilst also looking long term, now he is walking the walk on it.

On the broader thing, it's not just midfield, we had weakenesses in all three areas-ruck, KPD and mid. We got the best young mid on the market, we got HMac which given West rucking one out all yearand Simpson not showing whether he's really capable, is a clear need filled for us. Down back, our next player in was one who has been poor at vfl level and is likely to be delisted (Gillies). I can understand people being against HMac given the high risk-reward, but Rivers is low risk here-costs absolutely nothing, slots straight in, is a good player, leader, good relationship with Mackie which should help the fit, and more importantly is moving for the chance at success so will be super hungry, which fits with our culture. Tick from me.

He's a good bloke, Riv, enjoy him.

Not sure he's the right signing for you, but you got your man so nice job.

Comp should help us (or so we hope!)

Sorry to impose on your board, thats a good pick up for the cats having a good trade period. Rivers will be much better at Geelong with lonergan taylor and co around him.

Should be a nice season, experts finally write you off no doubt, can fly under the radar with a talented side and challenge for the flag.
Not sure how much better you can get at 28 and after two consecutive Bluey finishes mate.

Not sure how much better you can get at 28 and after two consecutive Bluey finishes mate.

You can get involved in a club with a culture of winning, have support around you, not have the ball down in the defensive half for the majority of the game

You can get involved in a club with a culture of winning, have support around you, not have the ball down in the defensive half for the majority of the game
Point taken, but realistically,how much better will he get? Its not as if he really struggled; because he didn't play as a FB or CHB. Reading the ball is what he's good at, and its what he'll do for Geelong.

Point taken, but realistically,how much better will he get? Its not as if he really struggled; because he didn't play as a FB or CHB. Reading the ball is what he's good at, and its what he'll do for Geelong.

Agreed i am not having a go at the dees, he will be past it probably when your team rises next, i think he will just be better in that theres more support and he has the opportunity to impact more, just a theory

Agreed i am not having a go at the dees, he will be past it probably when your team rises next, i think he will just be better in that theres more support and he has the opportunity to impact more, just a theory
This.

Pains us to lose a club servant, but hopefully our defence gets a bit of balance now. I'd rather have pushed Watts forward to make room for the 4th tall, but someone had to go so at least its not Frawley or McDonald.

We must be the clear winners of this trade period, right? That's two clear needs we've filled and one area that we could certainly use bolstering (HMac) taken care of.

Rivers will be good value for us with the likes of Taylor and Lonners alongside.

Outright leaders at the moment, sorry i will leave your board now too :p

True but he doesn't need to have a career best year in 2013 for the acquisition to be worthwhile. He will service a short/medium term need and play a specific role which he will be afforded much more freedom to do in a stronger, more functional back 6.

Leigh Brown gave Collingwood 2 great years as a specific role player after being a solid - without being outstanding - defender at North Melbourne. Collingwood in late 2009 were arguably better placed to benefit from such a trade given their perceived "premiership window" than Geelong will be in 2013 but the principle still applies IMO and you just never know what can happen.

To get a defender of Rivers' experience and quality essentially for free is a great result IMO

Side point, but it will be interesting to see what numbers Rivers and Mac get as their current numbers (27 and 1 respectively) are not available. Could well see Rivers in the great 30 possibly.

Side point, but it will be interesting to see what numbers Rivers and Mac get as their current numbers (27 and 1 respectively) are not available. Could well see Rivers in the great 30 possibly.
Surely you keep 30 off the circuit for a while? Give Rivers Byrnes' number?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if he'll change his name to MAX?

We handed out all the retirees numbers last year rather than keep them in the locker so we will do so again I suspect.

Thus 30 (and 40) will either go to pick 15 or one of our three trades.

Very happy to get Rivers. The most exciting thing with Rivers is -if you look at his birth certificate-it says place of Birth -Pt Augusta -another South Aussie . South Australia has been Pure Gold for Geelong -in this great era for the club.

Lets count em
(1) Harley
(2) Ottens
(3) Enright
(4) Stokes
(5) Mackie
(6) Varcoe
(7) Menzell
(8) Murdoch
(9) Motlop
(10) Stringer
(11) Rivers

Talk about the magnificent Eleven -and ive probably missed a couple

Cant wait for next year -Bruuuuce is going to Love Us even more.

For the Melbourne fans is Rivers quick?

We need a 3rd tall as we've got two very good KP defenders in Taylor and Lonergan. We need someone who reads the play and knows when to drop off his man. Our defence is very reliable but occasionally got caught out for pace when forwards got in behind them and caught them out in a foot race.

Nah, it will be worn in 2013. The only guernsey from memory, in recent times to get a year off was #2, between Harley leaving and Smedts arriving (and that was probably only because Harley was the only big name to be retiring that year). The big four numbers from last year all went to draft picks (#6 McCarthy, #21 Murdoch, #39 Kersten, #45 Hamling). They'd probably ask Scarlo, but I doubt he'd care one way or the other.

We need a 3rd tall as we've got two very good KP defenders in Taylor and Lonergan. We need someone who reads the play and knows when to drop off his man. Our defence is very reliable but occasionally got caught out for pace when forwards got in behind them and caught them out in a foot race.

Rivers is not quick but his ability to read the play and intercept mark is very very good.

Should do well in that sort of role for us.

Culture. Big big stuff, best thing you can ever do for your culture is to try and win the flag every yearregardless of whether on paper it looks achievable-this group has been characterised by that hunger-Scott said he would attempt to keep hitting finals whilst also looking long term, now he is walking the walk on it.

On the broader thing, it's not just midfield, we had weakenesses in all three areas-ruck, KPD and mid. We got the best young mid on the market, we got HMac which given West rucking one out all yearand Simpson not showing whether he's really capable, is a clear need filled for us. Down back, our next player in was one who has been poor at vfl level and is likely to be delisted (Gillies). I can understand people being against HMac given the high risk-reward, but Rivers is low risk here-costs absolutely nothing, slots straight in, is a good player, leader, good relationship with Mackie which should help the fit, and more importantly is moving for the chance at success so will be super hungry, which fits with our culture. Tick from me.

this :thumbsu:

Not quick at all but he reads the ball so early it doesn't matter.

Very happy to get Rivers. The most exciting thing with Rivers is -if you look at his birth certificate-it says place of Birth -Pt Augusta -another South Aussie . South Australia has been Pure Gold for Geelong -in this great era for the club.

Lets count em
(1) Harley
(2) Ottens
(3) Enright
(4) Stokes
(5) Mackie
(6) Varcoe
(7) Menzell
(8) Murdoch
(9) Motlop
(10) Stringer
(11) Rivers

Talk about the magnificent Eleven -and ive probably missed a couple

Cant wait for next year -Bruuuuce is going to Love Us even more.

Too right, though Motlop is from Darwin.

You forgot George Horlin - Smith and Lincoln McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back