ND Pick 36 - Tanner Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

This is quite short-sighted. He's what, 18? Players do develop and grow into their bodies and their skills/coordination at different rates. It's not fair to say a 195cm 18 year old is as good as he's going to get right now.
Seems to have a lot of the right ingredients, particularly for the Ross Lyon defence.

Fair enough, dont get me wrong i am aglass half full and a big supporter of Bond and team but I know little about Tanner and some quotes from Q's write up just weren't exactly inspiring and negative comments far outweigh the positives.... Eg

"Smith is right up there with Paparone as having the worst kicking style of any of this year’s crop. To make matters worse his style is variable often changing from one problem to the next between games."

"He also regularly brings out an appalling high two handed drop which often results in the ball not going where it should "

"If he is going to be a productive AFL player significant work is going to need to be done on his disposal and decision making."

"Smith is regularly described as a shut down defender usually I think because of his deficiencies going forward."

"It is worth noting that for Vic Country, Clurey was the one who took the primary key forward each game and even when he was being beaten Smith was rarely swapped onto those forwards."

"When it starts to get into a body on body contest though his lack of bulk and strength is evident"

" He was taught a lesson by Grundy in the short time he was up forward in the VC v SA match and he also struggled with Shaw against WA." He has great height and good long arms but he does not have much of a leap and so can struggle a bit with really tall athletic targets.

And the last backhand -> "If I am using him at the moment though I want to have a small wrapping around him to quickly get the hand off because having the ball in his hand is playing with fire."

Emma Quayle, who I rate as one of the better draft watchers (her mock was closer than anyone here on BigFooty so far as I can tell) had him at 23. He's big, fast, competitive and at worst sounds like he can be cover for Dawson, who despite his deficiencies is a very effective footballer.

Emma Quayle, who I rate as one of the better draft watchers (her mock was closer than anyone here on BigFooty so far as I can tell) had him at 23. He's big, fast, competitive and at worst sounds like he can be cover for Dawson, who despite his deficiencies is a very effective footballer.
Yeah, I'd agree with the Dawson comparison (Smith looks to have more to him) from the video, reminds me of Zac.

Quayle's easily the best footy journo going around but...her phantom drafts are pretty embarrasing in hindsight. Just ask Casey Sibosado.

Quayle's easily the best footy journo going around but...her phantom drafts are pretty embarrasing in hindsight. Just ask Casey Sibosado.
She gets more right than wrong. Compare hers to any of the D&T board "experts" here.
And Sibo was a monster talent, if he applied himself could have been anything.

Emma is easily the best draft journo. She follows the kids throughout the and wrote a great book called "the draft". She went with the AIS kids to Europe this year and respect her judgement. She also just wrote an article on next years talent but can't find it.
Not sure if I trust an article in The West especially comparing him to Fletcher, it's a bit embarrassing journalism tbh the only similarity is long arms. I hope I'm wrong but I expect Faulks to be ahead of him if Dawson goes down for the next few years.

Hope we test this kid out at both ends in the Nab Cup just to see where he's at.

Like the look of him, if he applies himself he will work out the kinks in his kicking. Just look at where De Boer has come from in his years on the list, he was woeful when he debuted but he's gradually gotten more and more reliable.

Hope we test this kid out at both ends in the Nab Cup just to see where he's at.

Like the look of him, if he applies himself he will work out the kinks in his kicking. Just look at where De Boer has come from in his years on the list, he was woeful when he debuted but he's gradually gotten more and more reliable.

Chris Mayne says hi

I hope I'm wrong but I expect Faulks to be ahead of him if Dawson goes down for the next few years.

Possibly. But the options are now... Faulks, Silvagni or Smith. Not really saying much.

No Robbo. No JA. MJ at full back is nonsensical, so not an alternative.

Next year... maybe Faulks is ahead. But for a "few years"...

This kid is an inch taller than Faulks, has longer arms, is probably quicker than Dawson and has a much better tank than Faulks... and that's today. The whole "next few years" seems an exagerration. And it neglects SCNOS.

For mine, I reckon there's a good chance that he'll be an improvement on Faulks and Silva as a KPD. Luke wasn't an attacking weapon in his first couple of years. That happened as he got better at predicting what would happen next. He needs to work on his kicking. He'll get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gee, we seem pretty harsh on our picks this year, and before they've even played a game. Last year the board read like we had made a drafting coup with all this talent out of SA (none of us bar Chris had ever heard of or seen).

I know Partington is a bit biased, but that sounds very positive. Especially the bits about him being capable to step up next year and blowing up his opponent when he went forward. I can't wait to see him in action over here. Peel will love having him as a swingman.
Paparone was taken by Brisbane quite early for the same reason.

gee, we seem pretty harsh on our picks this year, and before they've even played a game. Last year the board read like we had made a drafting coup with all this talent out of SA (none of us bar Chris had ever heard of or seen).

I actually think the reaction is pretty similar to last year. People complained about not taking Kersten (Shaw this year) and a few complained about taking an overager like Sutcliffe (Duffy) in the ND because we could've got him in the rookie draft

I actually think the reaction is pretty similar to last year. People complained about not taking Kersten (Shaw this year) and a few complained about taking an overager like Sutcliffe (Duffy) in the ND because we could've got him in the rookie draft

it is quite similar. The rage and concern is only going to intensify as each year that we dont address it, is a year closer to Pav retiring

I'm not sure where that 15.3 Beep test info has come from. The top beep test result at the draft camp was 15.1 and Tanner's result was below 14.2. (Assuming he ran the beep test at DC)

If true though it's an amazing result.
I remember reading because of the extreme temp on combine day all the results where alot lower than expected. He may have completed a better beep test before hand and that is his PB.

And like last year that disappointment was tempered somewhat by snagging an excitement machine many thought to have slid.

I remember reading because of the extreme temp on combine day all the results where alot lower than expected. He may have completed a better beep test before hand and that is his PB.

True, but that didn't seem to affect his 3km time trial. I can't remember because the combine is spread over 5 days. I hope it's true but I don't trust articles on the AFL website. They get so much stuff wrong.

it would seem as though we dont know where we are going to play smith

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151757/default.aspx

if smith could become a good forward option, i would be absolutely stoked

I'm going with a conspiracy theory. We have our eyes on some more mids so need to keep the fans happy by talking up our only tall of the ND as a forward option. Surely the only info an AFL.com reporter gets is feed to him by email or phone call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back