ND Pick 36 - Tanner Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else catch Tanner and the other lads pictured in today's West? Kid has *ng massive mits!

Anyone else catch Tanner and the other lads pictured in today's West? Kid has ****ng massive mits!

I ran across Ivan Glucina, who rucked for Souths and WA in the '60's, through work today.

The most enormous hands I have ever seen....I s**t you not the things were as long as my forearms. He can apparently fit in 21 eggs into each hand.

How do people see his WAFL performances so far? Has looked good up forward and taken quite a few marks, but not much on the scoreboard. Hasn't played back yet, but this might happen with Tabener maybe breaking into the seniors.

How do people see his WAFL performances so far? Has looked good up forward and taken quite a few marks, but not much on the scoreboard. Hasn't played back yet, but this might happen with Tabener maybe breaking into the seniors.

Seeing as no-one answered Ysaye, i'll pass on the little I know about Tanner from what I have seen and heard on the radio. He has been playing mainly as a forward and going back occassionally. He has had good games where he has shown good leading and good handball to set up smaller guys for goal-scoring opportunities. He also is quite clever at using the shepherd to clear the way for smaller forwards. He appears very quick on the lead but at times drops very simple marks. Possibly, just lacks a bit of composure, as he hasn't played that much as a forward from what I can gather. Generally, he has played reasonably well, but was completely blanketed by Dodd a couple of weeks ago. His kicking for goal is quite powerful but seems to lack consistent accuracy. Can cover fifty metreS, no problem and sometimes pulls of a good goal from quite an angle. When sent back, if the team needs a bigger body down there, he seems to acquit himself quite well.

As for he and Taberner. It is possible that when Taberner comes into the league side Tanner will go back. It is also possible that Taberner will play at full- forward and Tanner CHF, but when you consider Peels other options of a resting ruckman and Holmes, I doubt it. Guess it depends a bit on what Freo have in mind for him.

Interesting read apuchar. It is going to be very interesting watching them develop. We need a bit of a swing man, so happy with the idea of getting some time at both ends re-Tanner.

tanner smith: 196cm, 90kgs:
Tall defender who has good closing speed and reads the game extremely well coming into the opposition forward line. Makes good decisions on when to mark or spoil and provides good run from defence.

may the force be with you, padewan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. If he plays down back, he's in for a tough day, there's no weak link in the hawks forward line, Keplar too.

Wasn't too bad today considering. Got into good positions, wonder if we see him again this season?

Wasn't too bad today considering. Got into good positions, wonder if we see him again this season?
Can't complain with his game, first match, played on players who were stronger, taller and much more experienced. Will learn a lot from today, will go back to WAFL after a taste of AFL and hopefully plays with hunger. Wasn't he playing forward in the WAFL, rushed last minute into the team to play as a defender against the hawks shows that he could play as a swingman.
Also, people have questioned his kicking, it looked alright today.

Anyone know if Tanner Smith is getting a run this year? Everything I'm reading says he's due and that Freo can't wait to show him off this year, but the line-up has him omitted. What am I missing? Is it still the shoulder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if Tanner Smith is getting a run this year? Everything I'm reading says he's due and that Freo can't wait to show him off this year, but the line-up has him omitted. What am I missing? Is it still the shoulder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh?
He had a run yesterday for Peel... Until he tore his hammy in the 1st qtr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back