Songs That Sound A Little Too Similar

Remove this Banner Ad

Behemoth's Conquer All is almost a note for note rip off of Anthrax's Be All End All, specifically the main intro riff which repeats throughout.

tHE cLASH - Clash City Rockers
The Who - I can't explain
riff stolen from
The Kinks - All Day and All of the Night

Porcupine Tree - Wedding Nails
Deep purple - Rat Bat Blue
riff stolen from
Allman Brothers - One Way Out

Not really plagiarism since they're just drum fills, but I found this interesting: 'Boyfriend' by Best Coast has pretty much the exact same opening drum fill as 'Badlands' by Bruce Springsteen (except in Badlands the band comes in a fraction earlier)

Also happens in 'Keep a Knockin' by Little Richard and 'Rock and Roll' by Led Zeppelin.

I guess it's just interesting that rhythmic examples like this don't really matter, whereas if the songs were melodically this similar there'd be a real problem.
Kind of fun anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was listening to Devil Inside by INXS on the radio this morning and it struck me that the beat at the end is exactly the same as in Gloria by Laura Branigan.

Not really plagiarism since they're just drum fills, but I found this interesting: 'Boyfriend' by Best Coast has pretty much the exact same opening drum fill as 'Badlands' by Bruce Springsteen (except in Badlands the band comes in a fraction earlier)

Also happens in 'Keep a Knockin' by Little Richard and 'Rock and Roll' by Led Zeppelin.

I guess it's just interesting that rhythmic examples like this don't really matter, whereas if the songs were melodically this similar there'd be a real problem.
Kind of fun anyway.

Also similar to

The delivery in the verses of "Pump It Up" by Elvis Costello and "Wild Wild West" by Escape Club I've noticed are pretty similar.

Also, "Getting Away With It" by James has an almost identical melody to "Finding You" by the Go-Betweens, you can sing the lyrics of one over the other and it syncs perfectly.

Dead ringers for mine.

I find myself singing the former over the latter than the other way more.

When listening to The Drums' "Let's Go Surfing" does anyone else want to start singing The Cure's "Grinding Halt"?

Listen to Aussie Crawl - Things Don't Seem to Be Going Right and then listen to Grinding Halt.

You'll thank me later.

They're definitely different enough to avoid plagiarism lawsuits, but Phoenix's Lisztomania strongly reminds me of ELO's Mr. Blue Sky.

The drums in Lisztomania for mine sounds a bit like Right The Stars - We've Got It All.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back