Funniest Songs In Rock

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Was thinking about this recently.

What songs that ARENT specifically comedy songs as such, do you find make you laugh?

So no Spinal Tap (they would be 1-20 on this list), Marvellous by 12th Man, Queensland Cops by Rodney Rude etc.

#1 for me would be Fat Bottomed Girls. Everything about it is hilariously misogynistic and unashamedly so and I love it. It’s sung by a gay guy, it talks about riding on bikes, and basically stipulates that for the man concerned, every issue in life can be solved by smashing the oversized back end out of some big girls.

Lola is nearly as funny. Not because it’s about a transvestite but the fact that the ‘narrator’ was from memory The Kinks’ manager at the time who in real life was certain he was about to get laid with a beautiful groupie until Ray Davies pointed out to him that ‘it’s a dude.’

Mum Changed the Locks by Frenzal always gets a laugh out of me - the self described moron who comes home presumably for the 500th night in a row shitfaced only to find his mum has finally had enough.

I always thought Radiohead's lyrics in Fake Plastic Trees were hilarious

He used to do surgery
To girls in the 80's
But gravity always wins
That’s a pretty decent line really.

Bit melodramatic, but that’s Radiohead to a tee.

Reckon the lyrical quality dropped off around Kid A era, ‘yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon’ etc

You could take about 100 Radiohead lines which look cringey and weird in isolation.

Don’t think Thom is a much of lyricist in reality. Has the ability to write some reasonable songs, but he’s pretty lacklustre at penning lines given how prolific he is otherwise.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Stones Some Girls album not only has some of their rockingest stuff, but also some of Jagger's funniest lyrics.:)

Some examples:
Shadoobie
Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta, I can't give it away on 7th Avenue

Yeah, when the s**t hits the fan
I'll be sitting on the can
When the whip comes down

You're the easiest lay on the White House lawn
Get out of my life, don't take my wife, don't come back

and all of the title track and Far Away Eyes

Jimmy Webb is a great songwriter whose written many worthy hits for others over the decades, but I don’t know what he
was smoking (or maybe I do) when he wrote ‘MacArthur Park‘, first recorded by Richard Harris in 1968 - over 7 minutes of overwrought tosh with lengthy, climactic orchestral intermissions. That’s not the funny part, for apart from it actually becoming
a big hit amongst all the stoned out hippies of the time, the lyrics are a meaningless hoot, best summed up by the chorus -
“… MacArthur’s Park is melting in the dark / All the sweet, green icing flowing down / Someone left the cake out in the rain /
I don’t think I can take it / ‘Cause it took so long to bake it / And I’ll never have the recipe again, oh no!
…”

These are the Young Fresh Fellows, late 80s Seattle band that kind of bridged the transition to grunge in the 90s. Grunge without the thrash punk element. They were in it for the fun. They had toasters on stage and flung finished slices to the audience. :)
Anyway, here is Amy Grant. A song about a Christian pop singer that was huge at the time. ;)

This is the Allies, another rock band from Seattle in the 80s. The lead singer ended up going to NY and forming the Brandos.
Emma Peel

and to cap this trilogy of paeans to icons the great, Americana/country rock Gear Daddies and the instant classic I Wanna Drive a Zamboni. :grinv1:

Any excuse to throw this lyric in…

She took my finger, here's a button to press
I raised my thang and she dropped her dress
I'll take you on a cruise you'll never forget
She said, "we better move cause I'm already wet".

This was Blondie's tribute to 1950's Sci-Fi movies.

What always gets me smiling is the mix of up-tempo music and singing with the bleak lyrics about the end of life on earth.

You can't go past "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen (which is actually a combo of two songs by The Rivingtons called "The Bird's The Word" and "Papa Ooh Mow Mow").

Remove this Banner Ad

Back