Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get all the hatred for Subiaco and AAMI.
Been to Subi twice and AAMI once in the last 5 years and I thought they were okay. A bit old and run down, but I enjoyed both. Caught train to Subi and bus to AAMI, no problems.

Worst for me was GABBA. Was sitting near the back of the lower level and you couldn't see squat. Not much slope in that seating area and it was really claustrophobic with a concrete wall behind you and the next level only a metre or so above your head. There were some empty seats down on the fence so I moved there after quarter time and that was a bit better. Would not recommend level 1 seats at the GABBA unless they are in what I think is the Cricket members part of the ground where level 1 is much steeper due to there not being a level 2. Also a lot of the people didn't seem to be footy fans, they were more theatre goers, which kind of spoiled the atmosphere.

good old eureka stadium in ballarat. you're more likely finding gold then parking. there is close to 200 seats, yet somehow they fit 7000 people in there. got the ball though.

Ye
'Booming economy' for however many years but a single stadium for the two most popular sports teams is forever stuck in the 'too hard' pile.

Yep with all the mining royalities the WA government seem to be very backward when it comes to public facilities.

When Melbourne had the same population as Perth has now the MCG could already hold 100,000.

Isn't half of it a public park??
From about the South-Western 50m-boundary point around to centre wing.

So it's about 60% open, 40% closed. But in that 60% there's play equipment covering 1 pocket, so even then it's only like a proper oval for 40% of it.

But you can sneak around into the South-Eastern pocket at one of the breaks and sit in seclusion at some of the picnic benches :)

But I still think Norwood Oval is s**t house.

Eastern side - Members stand, they have officials stopping non-Norwood members in
SOuthern end - Stand is shithouse, views obstructed.
Western side - So thin it's cramping, need to get there really early for a good seat, have to walk to either end of the stadium for food or toilets as there's none on the wing
Northern end - No real problems, but I have noticed at times the 2 food outlets at that end (a hot dog stand and a BBQ) running out of food, so you have to go to the far end of the stadium to get food and even then. You have to walk on the cramped side with a small walkway on the Western side as you can't go down the Eastern unless you get a passout and walk outside the stadium.

Only thing it has going for it is 4 light towers that allow night footy and a good atmosphere. The atmosphere is probably the best in the league to be honest, but if you want comfort and good facilities. Go anywhere else.

At least Nourlunga has the comfort of your car, too bad about facilities.

As far as AFL stadiums go I have only been to AAMI, Etihad and MCG and of course AAMI is the worst out of the 3. But if you are talking about SANFL venues then they don't get much worse than Unley Oval, half the ground is closed off and then the rest tiny aswell.

All the old suburban grounds, Kardinia, Western Oval, Windy Hill, Princes Park, Arden St, Moorabin, Vic Park, Lake Oval, Junction Oval, Glenferrie and add Waverley too, was horrible.

I go to a large amount of the crows games at AAMI. I never previously stopped to think about how bad the actual stadium is, I always just appreciated it. BUT, I agree with the others, it is quite old and outdated, like most things in SA... The worst part is parking, Not much of it and cost is ridiculous. Half the time the car park is half empty and they put signs out saying "Permit Parking only" absolute joke. So then you have to park at Westfield Shopping centre car park depending on what day it is or at Seaford high school. If you're feeling a little more adventurous then you can pay to park in the houses across the road, the housing trust residents are all looking to make some coin for the pokies. If you want to catch public transport it is terrible, crowded busses and no train lines near. Adelaide oval is much better, catch the train to the city and walk to it, can't wait for it to be all done. Have also been to Etihad and the MCG which both annihilate AAMI. When you're in the top part of the MCG grandstand you can actually see unlike when you are in the Northern Grandstand at AAMI.

From about the South-Western 50m-boundary point around to centre wing.

So it's about 60% open, 40% closed. But in that 60% there's play equipment covering 1 pocket, so even then it's only like a proper oval for 40% of it.

But you can sneak around into the South-Eastern pocket at one of the breaks and sit in seclusion at some of the picnic benches :)

But I still think Norwood Oval is s**t house.

Eastern side - Members stand, they have officials stopping non-Norwood members in
SOuthern end - Stand is shithouse, views obstructed.
Western side - So thin it's cramping, need to get there really early for a good seat, have to walk to either end of the stadium for food or toilets as there's none on the wing
Northern end - No real problems, but I have noticed at times the 2 food outlets at that end (a hot dog stand and a BBQ) running out of food, so you have to go to the far end of the stadium to get food and even then. You have to walk on the cramped side with a small walkway on the Western side as you can't go down the Eastern unless you get a passout and walk outside the stadium.

Only thing it has going for it is 4 light towers that allow night footy and a good atmosphere. The atmosphere is probably the best in the league to be honest, but if you want comfort and good facilities. Go anywhere else.

At least Nourlunga has the comfort of your car, too bad about facilities.

Not to mention the solid brick wall that constitutes that stand running just a few metres from the boundary line.

The light towers near the scoreboard actually blocks the view of the scoreboard from most parts of the ground. The light towers have also caused a couple of problems. A globe blew and send glass showering onto the field during the game. The towers also failed during a game a couple of weeks ago.

Then there's the baseball foul pole and netting poles left up during winter that further restrict your view.

There was also an incident last year where a spectator broke their leg attempting to jump the fence during the half time kick and catch.

The ground is by far the worst ground in the SANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TIO Stadium, pretty much nothing there, small grandstand on one side that seats about 10000, one bar/ canteen to get food for the whole grandstand, and for those who are complaining about the facilities at other grounds, you obviously have never been to TIO
Never been up there, but on TV it looks fine for what it is - a part-time AFL ground which caters for crowds not much more than 10k in a small town. For 1-2 games a year, its not going to have the facilities of a major ground; but as a "carnival" style oval on TV it looks like t does its job.
Of course, TV says nothing about the lines for toilets, beer, food, or transport and access issues.

Etihad and MCG are everything that Subi is not.

Subi is just a $hit Hole.

Was a WCE member in the early 90's. Was too young and naïve to realise what a joke sitting on wooden planks were.

I remember a windy day sitting in around the 50m arc. Looking back and up into the 3rd tier stand, some of the plastic seating was floating 20m above it's base / mooring.

Sections of that 3rd tier stand had obstructed views (can only see 50% of the ground at most).

I had a membership in the 3rd tier stand for a few years. Some poor old codger died 3 rows behind me. It was an absolute nightmare, absolutely horrific, for the paramedics to get the body out. Still gives me nightmares. At least the last thing that poor bugger saw was his team playing. I think the WCE were getting thrashed on the day. RIP.

Getting out the ground is a nightmare. That long walk down, constricted stairs. Just an ill designed dung hole.

Once upon a time, there was full strength beer. Then the members rioted in one of the rooms with Damian Drum giving some pi$$ poor excuse again. Full Strength was banned from that day on.

Getting beer or food in general is a joke. You would always miss a part of the game. In comparison to Etihad or MCG? Half time, I can go for a pi$$, skull a full strength pre-mix or beer. Outside for a f**. Another skull. Another pi$$, another super quick f**. Then grab a drink on the way back to the stands with a few minutes to spare.

Toilets are rubbish. Missus refused to go into the girls, someone $hat all over the floor. Both toilets stink, they are old.

These days, I refuse to go to Subi unless I get Corporate Box tickets. I make excuses not to go when I'm offered the "poverty" seats.

I didn't mind the WACA, but car parking was ludicrous. Took 1.5 hours to get 500m away from the ground. I too was at a State of Origin in the early 90's when 75% of the WA players were made up of WCE players. Not too sure if Malthouse was coaching but I do remember it was the year that Eagles were undefeated in the first 13 or so games of the year. I'm thinking it must of been 1991?

Funny story about Subi in the late 80's / early 90's. Back when the city end was a grass hill. On a few occasions, sitting in one of the 2 tier stands (railway side), I'd duck off to the grassy Hill side, behind the Toilet block and light up a joint and take my time having a puff. Made some of the games pretty enjoyable.

Yeap, Subi is a disgrace!

Was a WCE member in the early 90's. Was too young and naïve to realise what a joke sitting on wooden planks were.

I remember a windy day sitting in around the 50m arc. Looking back and up into the 3rd tier stand, some of the plastic seating was floating 20m above it's base / mooring.

Sections of that 3rd tier stand had obstructed views (can only see 50% of the ground at most).

I had a membership in the 3rd tier stand for a few years. Some poor old codger died 3 rows behind me. It was an absolute nightmare, absolutely horrific, for the paramedics to get the body out. Still gives me nightmares. At least the last thing that poor bugger saw was his team playing. I think the WCE were getting thrashed on the day. RIP.

Getting out the ground is a nightmare. That long walk down, constricted stairs. Just an ill designed dung hole.

Once upon a time, there was full strength beer. Then the members rioted in one of the rooms with Damian Drum giving some pi$$ poor excuse again. Full Strength was banned from that day on.

Getting beer or food in general is a joke. You would always miss a part of the game. In comparison to Etihad or MCG? Half time, I can go for a pi$$, skull a full strength pre-mix or beer. Outside for a f**. Another skull. Another pi$$, another super quick f**. Then grab a drink on the way back to the stands with a few minutes to spare.

Toilets are rubbish. Missus refused to go into the girls, someone $hat all over the floor. Both toilets stink, they are old.

These days, I refuse to go to Subi unless I get Corporate Box tickets. I make excuses not to go when I'm offered the "poverty" seats.

I didn't mind the WACA, but car parking was ludicrous. Took 1.5 hours to get 500m away from the ground. I too was at a State of Origin in the early 90's when 75% of the WA players were made up of WCE players. Not too sure if Malthouse was coaching but I do remember it was the year that Eagles were undefeated in the first 13 or so games of the year. I'm thinking it must of been 1991?

Funny story about Subi in the late 80's / early 90's. Back when the city end was a grass hill. On a few occasions, sitting in one of the 2 tier stands (railway side), I'd duck off to the grassy Hill side, behind the Toilet block and light up a joint and take my time having a puff. Made some of the games pretty enjoyable.

Yeap, Subi is a disgrace!

This is a brilliant reason why that shithole needs knocking down, I don't even like AFL but after going there quite a few times last year, you guys definitely need a new ground.

its suitable for
Never been up there, but on TV it looks fine for what it is - a part-time AFL ground which caters for crowds not much more than 10k in a small town. For 1-2 games a year, its not going to have the facilities of a major ground; but as a "carnival" style oval on TV it looks like t does its job.
Of course, TV says nothing about the lines for toilets, beer, food, or transport and access issues.
vfl like matches which is what its for - the ntfl, i guess it isnt that bad

Princes Park

The leg room offered near the social club... Not even a midget would fit in there.

Notable mention to Sydney Olympic Stadium and the Olympic/Ponsford Stands of the old MCG.

Princes Park/Optus Oval/Visy Park.

Stench of Carlton about it. Legends stand was such a monumental waste of money.

Melbourne clearly needs a third 'boutique' stadium for matches - but I hope they don't take the easy route out and use Visy, because it's terrible and would give Carlton a significant leg up.

All the old suburban grounds, Kardinia, Western Oval, Windy Hill, Princes Park, Arden St, Moorabin, Vic Park, Lake Oval, Junction Oval, Glenferrie and add Waverley too, was horrible.
lol glad you mentioned these grounds, majority of the posts are people whinging about the gabba or subicaco oval being the worst ground, it only goes to show that we are spoilt now days in the stadiums we go to.

i didnt visit all of the suburban grounds but always thought that prinecsspark was the pick of them,

It's as funny as it is infuriating when you get Victorians whinge about Etihad.
The only cool thing about Subi is the suburb and its history (which seems to be completely glossed over...).

Getting there is pretty good, from Freo or the city. But as you said, it's such a hassle to leave.

Those trains not in service or absolutely packed are just... not at all smart. The walkway at West Leederville is totally packed. I got the train from Etihad to Richmond once. I dunno, but I'd say that's one of the most congested train lines after the footy: those lines link to Frankston and the eastern suburbs. Big footy crowds. But even the escalators weren't packed, the platform wasn't packed, and almost everyone got on the first train. Then there are the huge, spacious concourses and walkways. It's so much more comfortable. And that's what people want: it's not Perth Oval or Vic Park in 1976.

Melbourne clearly needs a third 'boutique' stadium for matches - but I hope they don't take the easy route out and use Visy, because it's terrible and would give Carlton a significant leg up.
To be honest, I don't mind it. Only been twice: a scratchy this year, and one 15ish years ago.

I like where it is. I like how original it looks. And even though it's not particularly big or cramped, it still has that overgrown feel to it. The facilities were okay, but the things I didn't like could be cleaned up fairly cheaply. I think some training gear and flotsam was sitting around, under the Legends stand, in March.

And you don't have to worry about Carlton getting a leg up! If the AFL went and played games there again, which probably won't happen, the Blues won't. It'll be the Bullies, North... those sides against Port, Freo, GWS, and Gold Coast. There's too many Carlton supporters for them to have games there. Plus, if it became a full time venue, I think they'd have to leave... or at least that's the deal with Punt Road and Richmond.

And you don't have to worry about Carlton getting a leg up! If the AFL went and played games there again, which probably won't happen, the Blues won't. It'll be the Bullies, North... those sides against Port, Freo, GWS, and Gold Coast. There's too many Carlton supporters for them to have games there. Plus, if it became a full time venue, I think they'd have to leave... or at least that's the deal with Punt Road and Richmond.

Why would they have to leave and do you think Carlton would let the AFL use the ground for free?

TIO theres only seating for about 2 thousand aswell (lol)

I went to AAMI park a few years back. Went to the bar to grab some beers and was told I needed to put a lid on them to take them back to my seats lol.

Anyway worst ground I've been to is Subi. Couldn't see a thing once the ball went past half way. Terrible ground

Carlton would be of course entitled to charge for use of their property. It's why John Elliot is advocating it for the third stadium.

Stadium deals are already enough of a problem for clubs like mine, North and the Dogs without further gouging smaller Melbourne teams to line the pockets of Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back