Third Stadium in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather than designs on a 3rd city stadium that won’t happen because govts are broke… or requiring the AFL doing an about face and fixing princes park

The answer is what the dogs already do… find a regional ground to play those low drawing games at. Regional city councils are only to happy to host these events

North can easily do this with Bendigo or even Shepparton if they want to develop a second identity and supporter base as a north Victorian team

St Kilda can likewise can find a base in Gippsland

The rest of the Melbourne based teams are viable enough and with big enough crowd numbers to play at marvel or the G
Funny that you mentioned Bendigo. North are heading there for a community camp for the second consecutive year. They are only playing games in Hobart for two more seasons, so will be interesting to see if there are any developments in this space between now and the expiry of the Hobart deal.

I can see North trying for Bendigo. I don't mind the idea.
During Brayshaw’s tenure, we were originally laying down groundwork with Ballarat before the Dogs with a view to possibly playing some games there down the line. However, after we signed the first deal with Hobart in 2012, the AFL intervened and insisted that the Dogs replace us in that region because they didn’t want us developing two secondary markets at once. It’s funny how things turn. Although it’s still early days and literally nothing has been announced so we’ll just have to wait and see if anything happens.

And following on from that, see below for the ultimate before-and-after solution. Drop a Carrara Stadium onto Gosch's Paddock, then build three elevated soccer/rugby pitches OVER Swan St and the train lines to maintain the green space.

View attachment 1879270
Great idea, great location.

Could be done as part of the green bridge linking the city to yarra park and decking over the railway lines between M&OP and the G.

During Brayshaw’s tenure, we were originally laying down groundwork with Ballarat before the Dogs with a view to possibly playing some games there down the line. However, after we signed the first deal with Hobart in 2012, the AFL intervened and insisted that the Dogs replace us in that region because they didn’t want us developing two secondary markets at once. It’s funny how things turn. Although it’s still early days and literally nothing has been announced so we’ll just have to wait and see if anything happens.
Ballarat makes sense for dogs as it’s in the west and Bendigo makes sense for North because it’s in the North. North even had a push into the south west (Werribee) a few years back.
Both Bendigo and Ballarat are thriving regional centres with a healthy future and within an easy drive from Melbourne.
Australia will have to learn to be less big city centric in coming decades as our 2 big cities are becoming too big to easily travel in.

I've heard the club are investigating both Bendigo and Albury at the moment with the potential of playing Home and away games in each venue.

The latest mail i had was that the club want to return to Marvel for 9 home games post 2025, with 2 being in regional Victoria.

Obviously at the moment the 4 in Hobart is way too much.

I've heard the club are investigating both Bendigo and Albury at the moment with the potential of playing Home and away games in each venue.

The latest mail i had was that the club want to return to Marvel for 9 home games post 2025, with 2 being in regional Victoria.

Well 9 at Marvel and 2 at Regional venues got no problems with that until a Bendigo want a game against a high profile club same applies to Albury as well.
Wont be able flog off the Suns,GWS or other interstate clubs to these regions might have work a roster system
For example
Season 2026 play a Essendon in Bendigo and GWS in Albury.
Season 2027 play a Gold Coast in Bendigo and Richmond in Albury.
These are only examples and may not happen like this and who knows if the new Tasmanian/Hobart side offer us a $500k to $750k carrot to move our home game against from Marvel to either Hobart or Launceston you would have to consider it.
The only way any of theses ideas won’t work if we start getting crowds of 40K+ to home games at Marvel and knowing our supporter base it won’t happen.

I agree totally that 4 games is too many, and if it has to be done, then 2 seems about right. Always thought that Bendigo and Albury-Wodonga would be the obvious options as well. Both have pros and cons, I’d be fine with either. With smaller regional cities like that then we’re unlikely to ever play more than 2 games there per season, so could set it up as a long term partnership without too much drama.

Albury’s stadium is ready to go. QEII oval in Bendigo has a beautiful old grandstand but not much room to expand. Wound need millions spent and Victoria is broke somI can’t see that happening for a while. Do you think they will exit Hobart in 2026 rather than 2028 when Tassie come in?

Hawks are looking at Cairns which is a poor option.

Albury’s stadium is ready to go. QEII oval in Bendigo has a beautiful old grandstand but not much room to expand. Wound need millions spent and Victoria is broke somI can’t see that happening for a while. Do you think they will exit Hobart in 2026 rather than 2028 when Tassie come in?

Hawks are looking at Cairns which is a poor option.

Exiting Hobart in 2025. We have 8 more matches there.

Cant come quick enough.

I feel like a focus on short term profits rather than long term consistency has not been good for North in developing a secondary fan base. They've tried Sydney, Canberra, Gold Coast, Ballarat and Hobart now. It's time to pick one secondary city and stick to it for the long haul regardless of profits.

I feel like a focus on short term profits rather than long term consistency has not been good for North in developing a secondary fan base. They've tried Sydney, Canberra, Gold Coast, Ballarat and Hobart now. It's time to pick one secondary city and stick to it for the long haul regardless of profits.
Harsh. They were forced to leave GC, Ballarat and Hobart, and were shoehorned out of Canberra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the club announced this? Hawks agreement also ends 2025, but we will likely keep playing there until Tas come in.

Not announced but thats when it expires.

Completely different situation between Hawthorn and North for mine. The crowds at Blundstone now are almost non extistent. Hobart locals are chips in on their own team. Launnie locals not so much.

North need to swing their focus back to a secondary market in regional victoria, which is also screaming out for AFL footy.

Not announced but thats when it expires.

Completely different situation between Hawthorn and North for mine. The crowds at Blundstone now are almost non extistent. Hobart locals are chips in on their own team. Launnie locals not so much.

North need to swing their focus back to a secondary market in regional victoria, which is also screaming out for AFL footy.
I would suggest that both the AFL (and Tassie) will strongly want North to keep playing there until 2027. And North won’t be able to replace the $$$ easily.

Harsh. They were forced to leave GC, Ballarat and Hobart, and were shoehorned out of Canberra.
Because they didn't commit early enough to GC or Hobart to last long in either place, and didn't want to go there full-time. Ballarat was their own doing really because they tried to double dip with Hobart. Can you please explain Canberra to me? My understanding is they abandoned it for the Gold Coast for more money and were replaced by the Bulldogs.

Because they didn't commit early enough to GC or Hobart to last long in either place, and didn't want to go there full-time. Ballarat was their own doing really because they tried to double dip with Hobart. Can you please explain Canberra to me? My understanding is they abandoned it for the Gold Coast for more money and were replaced by the Bulldogs.
The AFL pushed them from Canberra to GC, hoping they would relocate.

GC and Tas getting their own teams is it North’s doing. That would have happened regardless of North’s level of commitment.

The AFL pushed them from Canberra to GC, hoping they would relocate.
Really? That's not what this Canberra Times article says.

GC and Tas getting their own teams is it North’s doing. That would have happened regardless of North’s level of commitment.
For the Gold Coast at least, it was pretty obvious by 2006 that there would be an AFL push for a full-time team in the near future, given how fast the market was growing and the NRL already having announced a new team there.

It should be a clue that if there's a big wad of cash being offered by the government of some area to play games there, and they're large enough, at some point they would rather push for a full-time team than subsidise a part-time one.

North had started building goodwill in Canberra and threw it all away for a few dollars more. If they had any strategy beyond being mercenaries who sell their games to the highest bidder, they would have either stayed with Canberra or got into the Gold Coast or Hobart far earlier.

Really? That's not what this Canberra Times article says.

For the Gold Coast at least, it was pretty obvious by 2006 that there would be an AFL push for a full-time team in the near future, given how fast the market was growing and the NRL already having announced a new team there.

It should be a clue that if there's a big wad of cash being offered by the government of some area to play games there, and they're large enough, at some point they would rather push for a full-time team than subsidise a part-time one.

North had started building goodwill in Canberra and threw it all away for a few dollars more. If they had any strategy beyond being mercenaries who sell their games to the highest bidder, they would have either stayed with Canberra or got into the Gold Coast or Hobart far earlier.
Were you around in 2006?
There was no thought of anyone playing games on the GC until GC Titans were granted an NRL licence. Once that happened, the AFL panicked and offered North $400k per game @ GC, they were not given much choice. Once they were there the AFL and AFL media hstarted pressuring them to relocate, and offered $100m.

Article via The Age from March 22, 2006:
Andrew Demetriou last week spoke of the need for Victorian-based clubs to "migrate" home games north so the code could seize the developing markets of Queensland and New South Wales.
The same article also alludes to "rumours in some quarters that the ACT Government is considering ending the agreement" to have Canberra host NMFC matches.

Not the last time North Melbourne had to "migrate" games to wherever the AFL wanted. More recent examples include home games being banished from their most preferred venue (i.e. the MCG), and the AFLW team having to play home games in Tasmania.

I would suggest that both the AFL (and Tassie) will strongly want North to keep playing there until 2027. And North won’t be able to replace the $$$ easily.

Yeah its a very good point, however a deplorable strategic move.

If AFL want north in Tassie until 2027, the $$$ need to be astronomical as it is eating into valuable time for North to develop a secondary market.

That the AFL panicked and forced North to play games on the Gold Coast.
The fact that there was no thought of playing footy @ GC until the Titans came in, then the AFL immediately shifted North there, then tried to bribe them to relocate is evidence is evidence that it was not a well thought out plan. It was reactionary and poorly conceived. I.e. The AFL panicked.

I remember plenty of talk from Dimetriou about this at the time. And offering North $900k per year to play @ GC it was clear what the AFL wanted. AD was very strong that they supported North moving Perhaps try find something on the internet.

As Teen Wolf says above, when you are an AFL funded club you play where the AFL says. Like the Dogs taking Ballarat over from Nth at the time the AFL were trying to shift North to Tassie. Like Dees having to play in Alice Springs. Or GC in Darwin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back