Public Opinion: Will EFC players get Infraction Notices? (Poll included)

Will Essendon players be handed Infraction Notices before the start of the 2014 season?

• Yes

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • Likely

Votes: 125 24.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 58 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for the legal eagles on here. If Sandor Earl has been charged with trafficking and he hasn't been selling to NRL players, does this mean he has been selling to participants in a WADA code covered sport such as AFL, or does trafficking include flogging it local gym junkies?
I thought that simply being in possession of a commercial quantity is enough to land a trafficking charge....

I thought that simply being in possession of a commercial quantity is enough to land a trafficking charge....
He hasn't been charged with trafficking by the police, but by a sporting body. This isn't criminal trafficking, it is sports trafficking. ie. supplying someone within a WADA covered sport with banned drugs.

I don't think he stands accused of doing anything illegal. This is what I am trying to verify.

So if he hasn't been supplying NRL players it points to AFL players being supplied.

I've heard from someone who claims to have some inside knowledge. Its hard for me to say if its true but theyve been correct so far.[/

Based on the info in the charges the afl released last week I was confused why infraction notices werent already issued. I believe that Ess have an escape clause for AOD.

@ mxett, do you believe that until DANK is interviewed Ess are in the clear??
Keen to hear why a staunch Ess supporter has those opinions?? Are you of the opinion TB-4 is the main concern now??

I don't think Essendon intended to cheat but I think they did cheat.

I don't believe any of the conspiracy theories about a deal being done. If ASADA have evidence they will bring charges.

I am still suspecting that ASADA may not be able to link individual players to individual drugs. There is a precedent with this in the Operation Puerto scandal where there was a lost of clients and a list of blood bags but it took years to link the cyclists to their samples.

So the Bombers' players might get lucky ... very very lucky.

As for suggestions of 38 players being banned and destoying the club ... well 9 of the players have already gone + Lovett-Murray + Hille. There will be another 4 or 5 delisted. Worst case scenario would be 20-ish bans.

It almost certainly has to happen. The club penalties revealed that there is a big enough case with enough evidence. The purpose of the interim report was to get EFC out of the finals, as that otherwise could have been messy. Handing awards/premierships etc back is never a good look, and the 2nd place who becomes a winner - well its a fairly measly consolation prize in comparison.

So what we can expect now is for the details to come out. I suspect that we'll hear them early in the off-season, so that the AFL can determine what kind of contingency they need to have for next season, and to give the fans some chance to acclimatise A severely depleted Bombers team is going to be non-competitve. They would make even Melbourne look like premiership material in comparison! And whether its six months ban, or two years, its going to be a long way back for EFC to be remotely competitive again. Hird might have to emigrate. The fact that Reid is taking his case to court shows that he actually thinks he has one (mistake - a man of his position should have whistle-blown until someone listened and did something), whereas it is now definitely clear that Hirdys case was just bluff and denial.

A 6 month ban of 38 Essendon players would destroy the club

Rubbish.

They sit out for a year than come back the year after. Clubs have come and gone and come back again for various reasons since the game began. They would take a hit, but it would not destroy them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately I think they are coming :( :(

When%20Did%20That%20Happen%20Pic%201.jpg

A 6 month ban of 38 Essendon players would destroy the club

Yes, it will.

If this occurred, and it won't, the afl would have to excuse itself from WADA affiliation as the alternative is unthinkable

The AFL cant just 'excuse itself' from ASADA and WADA. And the Feds simply wont allow it either.

The AFL would bend over backwards to allow Essendon draft allowances to field a side for the duration of the sanctions.

As it is preparation for rejecting any serious sanction of the players involving suspension
The AFLs very survival would be threatened if a club like Essendon were destroyed. The consequences are simply unthinkable

Worst case scenario, the AFL survived perfectly well without Fitzroy, it can survive perfectly well without Essendon.

Not that it'll come to that. The AFL will appoint administrators to run the club, and allow Essendon special draft concessions (and emergency funding money) so they could survive should worse come to worse.

Furthermore, the evidence so favours the players that they would take Essendon and the afl to court

Come again?

What's wrong with you blokes wanting this to happen. Players suing the club,players getting banned, Essendon will be crippled beyond repair etc,etc will be disastrous for the AFL.

Fitzroy died,Carlton nearly went under. The damage this will have on the league will be too much which the AFL want to avoid.

For most of the time, doing something that is fundamentally right is worth the consequences.

It is what our civilised society is based on.

If it does happen, you will get over it. It's only a game of course.

TBH I got no idea anymore. Essendon have clearly used prohibited substance frm the evidence I have seen but if it can't be determined who used them then no

or

ASADA are waiting to nail Dank and clear Cronulla and Essendon players with no fault but nail the players who seen Dank outside of the club

Yep, unfortunately I think infraction notices are now pretty much inevitable.

Will we even be able to field a team next year?:(

I would assume the AFL would grant concessions to allow you to draft mature age players from the lower comps as a stop-gap measure.

You'll be s**t for a year or two on field.

Its the financial consequences that should worry you.

Suspensions will lead to class actions against the club by all players involved. That's likely to be in the value of tens of millions of dollars in damages against the club.

Add to that the financial ramifications of loss of revenue from sponsors and members, gate takings from being s**t for a year or two, legal costs, players walking out on the club etc.

Tens of millions of dollars. Hat in hand to the AFL kind of stuff.

Like where we were a few years ago.

Back