DIVISION 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Werribee exit the VAFA to join the WRFL, they will be leaving the Premier metropolitan football competition in Australia to join a competition in which they will become a club going nowhere in a competition which is also going nowhere and has never been anywhere.

Leaving to retain their players so that they can be paid is an excuse, not a reason. What is the real reason, and it isn’t travel? My club joined the VAFA over 30 years ago; travel is part of the Amateur enigma. We have a great club culture and there is an incredible camaraderie amongst the playing group which has a first-rate interaction with our 50+ volunteers. Occasionally we lose players to rival clubs, averaging around 10 annually, rarely to WRFL clubs but mainly due to relocation.

Werribee Districts is well respected amongst all north and western based VAFA clubs as strong, well coached and with sound management. Decisions to leave one competition to join another should not be merely a (current) committee decision, but a decision for only fully paid Club members and life members, not just ego trippers who are here today, make a rash or rushed decision, then head off elsewhere and leave the archaic result to those who follow and try to pick up the pieces.

In the Ammos, clubs have seasonal ups and downs. We play at different levels depending on past rates of success or failure. My club, of which I am a LM has played in all lower divisions and currently poised to (hopefully) promote itself to the Premier divisions. We know that should we get there that local WRFL clubs will pay us a visit and attempt to poach players: they know that the Ammos play an excellent standard of football, albeit complemented by very good footballers. Our club does not, as a club look for instant gratification, loves it when it happens but we are prepared to accept the vagaries of the competition and play at our level.

A club thinking of leaving should be positive and consider the competition alternative for its future players. Former SFL clubs such as Beaumaris, Parkdale and Mentone are examples of successful VAFA clubs surrounded by poachers. Prior to jumping, a few phone calls and perhaps a few cups of coffee with some good heads at those successful clubs should be in order.

I have not volunteered the name of my club as this missive is personal, not Club sanctioned. If anyone can’t work it out, please go to a doctor and take some of those remorseful heads from Rupo with you.

Should Werribee exit the VAFA to join the WRFL, they will be leaving the Premier metropolitan football competition in Australia to join a competition in which they will become a club going nowhere in a competition which is also going nowhere and has never been anywhere.

Leaving to retain their players so that they can be paid is an excuse, not a reason. What is the real reason, and it isn’t travel? My club joined the VAFA over 30 years ago; travel is part of the Amateur enigma. We have a great club culture and there is an incredible camaraderie amongst the playing group which has a first-rate interaction with our 50+ volunteers. Occasionally we lose players to rival clubs, averaging around 10 annually, rarely to WRFL clubs but mainly due to relocation.

Werribee Districts is well respected amongst all north and western based VAFA clubs as strong, well coached and with sound management. Decisions to leave one competition to join another should not be merely a (current) committee decision, but a decision for only fully paid Club members and life members, not just ego trippers who are here today, make a rash or rushed decision, then head off elsewhere and leave the archaic result to those who follow and try to pick up the pieces.

In the Ammos, clubs have seasonal ups and downs. We play at different levels depending on past rates of success or failure. My club, of which I am a LM has played in all lower divisions and currently poised to (hopefully) promote itself to the Premier divisions. We know that should we get there that local WRFL clubs will pay us a visit and attempt to poach players: they know that the Ammos play an excellent standard of football, albeit complemented by very good footballers. Our club does not, as a club look for instant gratification, loves it when it happens but we are prepared to accept the vagaries of the competition and play at our level.

A club thinking of leaving should be positive and consider the competition alternative for its future players. Former SFL clubs such as Beaumaris, Parkdale and Mentone are examples of successful VAFA clubs surrounded by poachers. Prior to jumping, a few phone calls and perhaps a few cups of coffee with some good heads at those successful clubs should be in order.

I have not volunteered the name of my club as this missive is personal, not Club sanctioned. If anyone can’t work it out, please go to a doctor and take some of those remorseful heads from Rupo with you.
Well written Seaside very well written and many would endorse your heartfelt comments. You do need a little straightening up though Mentone, and Beauy have not been approached by the SFL formally to join/rejoin the SFL as late as when I checked with one of their Board members 10 mins ago. Parkdale WERE approached some 3 yrears ago and were happy to have their under 18's play in the SFL but not the seniors and that is fair enough. All those clubs are happy with the VAFA I assume and that is great. If Werribee leave the VAFA you can understand why as the travel is sometimes just too much. But you made some excellent points, well done and good luck .

A number of clubs including Glen Eira and now Ormond are more than likely not happy with the Old Mentonians culture of exagerrating matters..whingers..

Bravo, bravo bravo Mr Seaside from Willy CY......your opinion on the process that Werribee Districts went through is comical and so far off the mark. I bet you had several "There's something about Mary" moments as you gave your soap box speech about how self righteous you believe Willy CY are...frankly who cares. (go watch the movie if you don't know to what I refer)

Who are the ego trippers you refer to? I don't see how such a painful and agonising decision is an ego trip by anyone.....I suggest you wouldn't know.
If the current custodians of any club aren't the ones to make decisions on future direction then lets go down to the local nursing home and get some uneducated input. If that's how you run your club then good luck to you.

Rushed and rash decision you say.....again I suggest you wouldn't know. Are you aware that the 4 western suburbs clubs had a meeting with Sholly last November (of which WillyCY was one) and expressed concern about the direction and assistance of the VAFA in the west? Guess what was done by the VAFA as a follow up........zippo.

You talk about "here today gone tomorrow" people ......President entering year 5, vice president year 11, senior coach year 8 (plus another 9 years at juniors), life members.. all still at the club. I am sure they would have had a coffee with some successful clubs......you may not have got an invite.

Everyone will have an opinion on whether Werribee's decision is wrong or right but only time will determine that. Be aware that 3 new clubs have started in Wyndham (Tarneit, Manor Lakes and Sanctuary Lakes) with more to come.....a market force that the other clubs you mentioned in the south/east wouldn't have had to deal with......Westbourne is on its knees as a result. Should Willy CY make it to the Premier sections then well done but be careful what you wish for....I am sure Altona and Spotswood will circle with intent......oh and don't forget Newport Power who more than likely will enter a senior wrfl team in 2015.

Good day to you sir and I hope that you get hot water connected at Fearon Reserve one day......I hear a large copper water boiler has been ordered and is on its way from the UK by boat

Willy 69 g-30 P to Glen Eira 2g.-8p for the entire day for both teams.

A very sad way to end the season for Glen Eira

The final four has now been set.

The match ups are as follows:

2nd semi final : Hampton Rovers v Williamstown CYMS
1st semi final: Ormond v Prahran/Assumption

So, the only questions are 1) what day will the respective semi finals be played at; and 2) on which grounds will it be on?

The final four has now been set.

The match ups are as follows:

2nd semi final : Hampton Rovers v Williamstown CYMS
1st semi final: Ormond v Prahran/Assumption

So, the only questions are 1) what day will the respective semi finals be played at; and 2) on which grounds will it be on?
Had a gander at part of the game at Como today and Prahran looked a well drilled outfit with talent all over the park. Completely outclassed a team that had performed very well in recent weeks. Think the Monders might have their work cut out next week. If Prahran make it to the GF they'll give HR a fair old workout. Apologies bedford.

Forgot to mention that there is just as much money in the VAFA as there is I'n any other competition. Unfortunately though due to alcohol restrictions at games only the rich survive....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Willy 69 g-30 P to Glen Eira 2g.-8p for the entire day for both teams.

A very sad way to end the season for Glen Eira
Was a sad way for a very hard season to end, I agree, but I take my hat off to the Willy seniors who all stood on the boundary at the conclusion of our season and clapped our players off the ground. A top display of sportsmanship. Good luck to them in the finals.

Was a sad way for a very hard season to end, I agree, but I take my hat off to the Willy seniors who all stood on the boundary at the conclusion of our season and clapped our players off the ground. A top display of sportsmanship. Good luck to them in the finals.
Credit to Williamstown for showing a excellent display of sportsmanship by clapping the Glen Eira players off after the game. Wouldn't be surprised to see Glen Eira back in Division 1 in the future.

Watched a quarter and a half of Prahran and they have improved a bit in recent times, they look sharp it will be an interesting game with Ormond. Big Martinov must be due to return after the VAFA Tribunal made another howler of a mistake.and Chisholm must be close as well after injury, Barker oval it is and I reckon the result will be the same these 2 teams played in a final against each other.

Did Jemema say that "Forgot to mention that there is just as much money in the VAFA as there is I'n any other competition. Unfortunately though due to alcohol restrictions at games only the rich survive.... " you are right with the money and not so right with the alcohol, there is plenty at every game, saw plenty of it by Prahran supporters on Saturday, they thought they were still in the VFA back in the 70's and 80's playing Geelong West...

Pretty quiet on this front - especially for finals time.
Went past Ormonds ground and Hamptons ground tonight on way home from work... No training at Ormond and the Hampton boys were off the track early - strange, bedford? My tip for GF winner has to be Hampton, do they just win???

Pretty quiet on this front - especially for finals time.
Went past Ormonds ground and Hamptons ground tonight on way home from work... No training at Ormond and the Hampton boys were off the track early - strange, bedford? My tip for GF winner has to be Hampton, do they just win???

Maybe they were training elsewhere... I think if Ormond make the GF, they could take it home this year, will be a big ask, but it'll be 2008 all over again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back