VolgaBoatman

All Australian
Apr 4, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I was reading about the NRL referees that couldn't count to 7 and I was wondering what the equivalent would be in AFL. That would have made my blood boil if a similar thing happened to Freo in a critical final.

The biggest one I can think of was the Sirengate episode down in Launceston for Freo vs St Kilda - which for Freo was overturned during the week. The Cowboys have no such luck in the NRL.

There was also Tom Hawkins getting paid the goal in the 2009 Grand Final when it hit the post, though I'm not sure that was as obvious.

Can anyone else give some examples, or think what might be the equivalent in AFL ?

Yes, agree, but perhaps I should say errors with match officials - I think that kind of error is equivalent though.

The ball went out of bounds in a Coll v Carl granny Carl player hits it back in goal! Cost us a flag in the dying seconds

Collingwood vs north. 2 shit centre bounces that weren't called back gives north 2 centre bounces and 2 goals to win the game.

2009 GF without a doubt. Hawkin's poster was game changing.

I was reading about the NRL referees that couldn't count to 7 and I was wondering what the equivalent would be in AFL. That would have made my blood boil if a similar thing happened to Freo in a critical final.

The biggest one I can think of was the Sirengate episode down in Launceston for Freo vs St Kilda - which for Freo was overturned during the week. The Cowboys have no such luck in the NRL.

There was also Tom Hawkins getting paid the goal in the 2009 Grand Final when it hit the post, though I'm not sure that was as obvious.

Can anyone else give some examples, or think what might be the equivalent in AFL ?

Strange you didn't put Sharrod Wellingham goal hitting the post in 2011 in the OP or the double goal paid to St Kilda in 2009?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't think of too many actual blunders to cost games.

there was one in the 90s where back in his playing days Bluey Mckenna got pinged in the last minute for holding the ball with the opposition basically draped around his neck choking him.

Other one i can think of is Jeff Farmer got a very dubious in the back for Freo against Melbourne where he kicked the winner after the siren.

When a player has no awareness, has the ball 15m out from the opposition's goal, gets tackled legally and drops it like it's hot and it gets called play on thn that's pretty hard to take.

I'm not talking contentious ones - but super blatant that dont get paid because they've gone too far in 'Putting the whistle away'.

No one decision costs a team a game.

This - especially when umpiring is:

a) an imperfect science with very imperfect laws so you will always have a 5-15% error rate due to umpire out of position/blindsided/otherwise messing up
b) these things all revolve around probabilities, the probability that a player would have gotten the full six from a resulting free kick, the probability that a rebounding team wouldn't have simply turned the ball back over, the probability that this or that would have happened.

There are no certainties with which we can say "if this, then that" in a game. And a decision that was wrong at the start of the match is EVERY BIT as relevant as one that happens the split second before the siren.

When a player has no awareness, has the ball 15m out from the opposition's goal, gets tackled legally and drops it like it's hot and it gets called play on thn that's pretty hard to take.

I'm not talking contentious ones - but super blatant that dont get paid because they've gone too far in 'Putting the whistle away'.

are you referring to rioli on duncan last year? was definitely holding the ball.

Some of those examples are more 50-50 or 60-40 - not counting to 7 or not hearing / blowing the siren for long enough are probably more blatant.

Stuart Broad not being given out recently in the Ashes test was also one that comes to mind when there was a clear deviation.

Does it affect AFL as much as other sports ? Rugby League is a lower scoring sport - so it is higher stakes if an error leads to a score - same goes for Soccer.

Cats seem to be on the positive end of many, many of these. Surprise surprise. Chapman in the goal square against Brissie a few weeks ago was an absolute howler. Rioli on Duncan tackle in one of the games last year. Very similar to the Cornes tackle late in the game the other night, the only difference being Rioli tackled with perfect technique, Duncan had taken a bounce before he was tackled and disposed of the ball totally incorrectly. Cornes at least got something resembling a handball away. The other difference? Cats get a soft easy shot on goal. Hawks get play on. The Cornes and the other soft umpire goal they got that night decided that game. Then there was Rooke on Johnson in a prelim a few years back ('08?). Front on contact in a marking contest that would be paid 99.99% of the time. Cats get play on and an easy goal. I think there was maybe 12 points in it at the time.
I could go on....

Has there ever been a documented case in the history of football at any level where the players have successfully conned the umpire into believing the match was over due to the siren sounding?

Didn't think so. Umpire Nicholls' distrust of a dozen Fremantle players to ignore them and bounce the ball, rather than investigate their claim that the siren had sounded, is the single worst thing an umpire has done in the AFL era.

Shane McInerney's decision straight after half time in the 2009 PF to give Nick Riewoldt a downfield free directly in front of goal for bumping off the ball against Lake was, at that moment in time, an unprecedented free kick and has arguably single-handedly promoted the art of simulation in our game. It was undeniably a major momentum shifter, as Riewoldt proceeded to become the match winner in the 2nd half of a brutal low-scoring encounter, and up to that point he was being pantsed by Morris (who incidentally had a fractured leg in that game).

St Kilda supporters will naturally disagree - that's fair enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back