News McGovern, Bennell, Tunbridge elevated

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the person that makes these decisions totally independent from the head coach?

Hmm...
McGovern makes sense.
Tunbridge and bennell less so, unless they are expected to play a role in the team next year which I could then understand. However such an idea makes little sense seeing as we have no coach currently. I think a lot of signs are pointing to a Burns appointment...

Exactly what I was thinking.

I like that fact the Selwood has stuck around. He has a fair bit to add to the development of the younger players IMO

...seeing as we have no coach currently. I think a lot of signs are pointing to a Burns appointment...

My thoughts exactly

OR sumich has put these ideas forward at his interview

Just re-reading the article, they have elevated the three guys that have shown some good form in the WAFL.

This is really setting the team up for "no favourites" sort of season. By that I mean, have a poor game or not put the work in, regardless of name, you will be playing in the WAFL.

I personally like this and think competition to retain your spot is some of the best motivation

Pretty happy with tunners and the gov being upgraded. Bennell did play some good footy at the back end of the season.. but personally would have kept him on the rookie list one more year.

Gov: Had to upgrade or let go and has too many good traits to let some other team get the rewards
Tunner: Showed a bit when he got a game, will be good to see how he goes when playing with a better WAFL side (if not in the Eagles team). Has Speed, size, and skill, pretty much what we all want in the side.
Bennell: Was close to playing a senior game near the end of the year, or at least seemed that way. Has foot skills and is a proper small defender.

They are all pretty justifiable upgrades, pretty happy with it tbh. Would like some more "fat" cut from the list though so we can have at least 2-3 picks in the draft. Hope Newman retains a position on one of the lists, though it's difficult to say he deserves a senior spot, even as his sponsor.

I think this means there may be more delistments.If tunners can play a forward defensive role(I didn't see his game in the last few rounds)then Mcginnity could be moved on or delisted.Not sure about his contract status tho.
would rather keep dalziell around than mcginnity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Bennell elevation is warranted.
He's started to play the sweeping role with aplomb and has more than a touch of Wirra in style.

When Hurn is out, we desperately lack a defender who not only can read the play quicker than most but also hit the target and make the right decisions.
There is more than one way to break a line, leg speed isn't the be all and end all.

In todays football, it's such a vital role and I'd dare say someone like Hurn would flourish a lot more with Bennell in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back