News McGovern, Bennell, Tunbridge elevated

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd wonder why we upgrade guys that we don't need to when they (a) are far from proven/established/required and (b) we don't have a senior coach (so we can't project game styles and hence needs) ...

Because we have spots to fill on the list and the drafting team have lost all confidence in their abilities after the failures of Weedon, Swift, Koby etc

Obviously no guarantees with any player really, I'm just curious though, do you not rate Bennell?
I think he looks to come on leaps and bounds, the game he plays (in my opinion) looks like it'll translate well.

However, he may get exposed going the other way.

He made 1 to 2 bad errors every game I saw him play at WAFL level. Errors that would be punished with goals at AFL level. He wasn't as quick as I remember him being but that may be a knee hangover. He is small and light which narrows down his potential opponents and leaves him open to being exploited by teams with more physical/more medium size forwards...

I think he has some football ability, but as a small defender he might struggle at AFL level to be anything other than fringe. So why the hurry to upgrade him?

Watching Tunbridge's tackle before the goal and the speed in which he got up is what excites me. I hope he can build on what he showed. I'd like that sort of enthusiasm for the rest of our team.

He made 1 to 2 bad errors every game I saw him play at WAFL level. Errors that would be punished with goals at AFL level. He wasn't as quick as I remember him being but that may be a knee hangover. He is small and light which narrows down his potential opponents and leaves him open to being exploited by teams with more physical/more medium size forwards...

I think he has some football ability, but as a small defender he might struggle at AFL level to be anything other than fringe. So why the hurry to upgrade him?

Yep, I had a chat to Longmuir about him, which is why I rate Longmuir, and he made the exact points you made about bad errors, particularly over the back. I said to Longmuir, I think you might be being a tad harsh, but I watched him a bit closer over the next few weeks and he was spot on.
I think he got his pace back fairly quickly, considering the knee, and he certainly seemed to pick up pace at the end of the year. For some reason he was always going to be elevated, from what I was hearing at Basso, from the last couple of months of games.

I'd wonder why we upgrade guys that we don't need to when they (a) are far from proven/established/required and (b) we don't have a senior coach (so we can't project game styles and hence needs) ....

I'd say Bennell is pretty proven, and required. Going off what the club has said about him.

With the other two, they are fast approaching that point where AFL exposure is needed to continue their development. Additionally I'd prefer it to using our 4th-6th rounders in the draft.

I'd say Bennell is pretty proven, and required. Going off what the club has said about him.

With the other two, they are fast approaching that point where AFL exposure is needed to continue their development. Additionally I'd prefer it to using our 4th-6th rounders in the draft.

Sorry, what's Bennell proven?

Sorry, what's Bennell proven?

That he is capable at AFL and fills a need, which the club has expressed publicly. Sure, he has his deficiencies but after 57 games of AFL there is only so much development he'll get through the WAFL, despite his deficiencies.

As I've said, the alternative would just be taking picks in the 70-90 region.

That he is capable at AFL and fills a need, which the club has expressed publicly. Sure, he has his deficiencies but after 57 games of AFL there is only so much development he'll get through the WAFL, despite his deficiencies.

As I've said, the alternative would just be taking picks in the 70-90 region.

Filling up our list with middling plodders hasn't served us very well of late ... I'm not sure adding more now does...

We could have played him at any point in the last 2 months of the season and we didn't.. but then he's an automatic upgrade even though he has rookie eligibility left AND we don't have a coach so we don't know that coaches preferences ...

All he showed at AFL level was he wasn't good enough; he lacked composure and he was small ... can you run me through the list of very small small defenders that are routinely locking down on small forwards?

Which of, say, Freos group of small forwards would you want Bennell locking down?

My point is you don't feel a need with a guy who isn't good enough and on this year we have no idea if he is or not despite us being in position to test him out ...

Hence questioning the upgrading of various players and a coach. We don't have a good record of late in list management. Doing so with no head coach, barely any assistants and a somewhat underperforming drafting/evaluation team seems risky ...

If you are comfortable we can throw Bennell on Walters or Ballantyne then fair enough

Not sure about these elevations. McGovern I understand as we had to elevate him and he's a work in progress but Tunbridge and Bennell could have been retained on the rookie list for another year.

If this year taught us anything we have a number of players who have been on an AFL list for a few years now who have so far demonstrated that they are role/depth type players only - McGinnity, Brennan, Wilson, Smith, Sheppard, Morton, Dalziell and Cripps - some of whom may improve but we need to turnover our list a bit more and unnecessarily adding two unproven rookie players to the main list doesn't help.

As it stands now we only have two main list spots to fill in the draft. Three if Kerr retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this year taught us anything we have a number of players who have been on an AFL list for a few years now who have so far demonstrated that they are role/depth type players only - McGinnity, Brennan, Wilson, Smith, Sheppard, Morton, Dalziell and Cripps - some of whom may improve but we need to turnover our list a bit more and unnecessarily adding two unproven rookie players to the main list doesn't help.
I think you are a little harsh on Cripps placing him in this group, I would like to hope that Sheppard, and maybe Morton and some of the others might become decent players, but I accept your overall point. FWIW I think Bennell was probably signed on the understanding that he would progress to the senior list after a satisfactory first year, you would expect that if you were 22/23 and had played 60 AFL games.

]FWIW I think Bennell was probably signed on the understanding that he would progress to the senior list after a satisfactory first year, you would expect that if you were 22/23 and had played 60 AFL games.
not if you were delisted by the worst side in the comp

West Coast Vanilla Eagles, by god we have become middle of the road. Once upon a time we had players like Matera, Kemp, Cousins, Wirrpunda and Judd.....now we have Dalziell, Bennel, Morton, Hill and Cripps - oh how we have fallen.

Not sure about these elevations. McGovern I understand as we had to elevate him and he's a work in progress but Tunbridge and Bennell could have been retained on the rookie list for another year.

As it stands now we only have two main list spots to fill in the draft. Three if Kerr retires.

The cleanout generally comes after a new coaches 1st year, not before it.

West Coast Vanilla Eagles, by god we have become middle of the road. Once upon a time we had players like Matera, Kemp, Cousins, Wirrpunda and Judd.....now we have Dalziell, Bennel, Morton, Hill and Cripps - oh how we have fallen.

Once upon a time we had players like Hampson, Godden, Krummel, Stone and Antonowicz ... now we have Naitanui, Shuey, Wellingham, Kennedy and LeCras. By god we've become awesome!

Could the Eagles play McGovern as a centre half forward, leaving Darling to play that "third tall roaming forward" position ?

It's what we missed all year. That role that lynch played freeing up the space for Darling and Kennedy.

We broke down at half forward so often this year because of that. I expect McGovern to really surprise next year and hopefully play that "Lynch" role. He has great hands and a nice kick.

Also noticed Naitanui is looking really ripped and mentioned McGovern is training with him.

Boys are getting serious!!!

Once upon a time we had players like Hampson, Godden, Krummel, Stone and Antonowicz ... now we have Naitanui, Shuey, Wellingham, Kennedy and LeCras. By god we've become awesome!
You beat me to it

I'd wonder why we upgrade guys that we don't need to when they (a) are far from proven/established/required and (b) we don't have a senior coach (so we can't project game styles and hence needs) ...

Whats a sensible alternative?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back