Rookie Pick #28 Welcome to Carlton ... Cameron Wood

Remove this Banner Ad

+1

Guys just letting you know Scott Watters is also looking for a job

There might be a lot of rats jumping on to our ship, but it's a nicer ship than from whence they came.

With Hughesy no longer on Nova next year, it is clear than Carlton are trying to maintain their presence on the station by signing Dale Thomas & Cameron Wood. That's the only reason I can think of for you guys.

It's a fair call all of what you wrote, but this one comes across as a fizzer. I (like you and I hope others) we're proven wrong.

At least like someone said, Bootsma and Lucas no longer become the top whipping boys.

It is disappointing when a supporters immediate reaction is one of criticism and negativity.

There's something that people are clearly forgetting, the lack of quality ruckmen in this draft. We had to recruit someone for depth, and Darcy Cameron is only a decent prospect, and one that would take time to develop. So what happens next year if we get an injury to one of them (you tell me, are they Injury prone?). Do you want to go into a big game with a debutant who's outsized, or do you want a player who's available, cheap, had a solid season in the VFL and has played over 50 AFL games for a decent side?

You have to work with what you have available, and unless we wanted to waste a high pick on Nankervis who is still developing and miss out on Giles or Cripps, there wasn't much else to go with.

This is a very low risk move. If I am wrong and you guys are right, then next years draft period, we delist him and get someone else. It's simple.

So, all things considered, I think Carlton are taking lemons and making lemonade.

I, for one look forward to warching him and the young mids in the VFL next year, and if we gets a call up to the big boys will be wishing him the very very best. He has now got the chance to develop into a top player because he's now at the top club.

Good luck Cameron! No pressure mate.

Looks like Collingwood just got us back for Russell.

Hardly. He was a Williamstown player. You could say buyer beware but you don't get more awareness than a delisted AFL player doing reasonably for a VFL team. There is a strategy at play here. At least he's a big lump of a lad who can stand there and throw up an arm and let our talented midfield have a chance should we lose Warnock and Kreuzer. A project 18 year old ruck would take years to come on.

I'm extremely happy with the positional aspect and physical aspect of this selection, just surprised by the name. He used to have the talent as a junior. Who knows if his head has been 100% right. He certainly has nothing to lose.

I liked his tweet though. He thought he was no chance so I wonder if Mick even talked to him before this.

You are right in that he is now a Carlton player and should be supported as such. We managed to support Cam Cloke for much of his stint, and Cain Ackland didn't really cop it when he arrived ... only after he started playing.

I do need to correct what you said about being early in his career. The very issue is that he had a career and seemingly failed at it. He wasn't even placed in Williamstown's B&F. The scepticism is understood, even if it comes across as mean spirited. Wood would know better than anybody that he hasn't excelled in 8 years of senior football and the onus is probably on him to shut the supporters up, rather than for them to unconditionally back a former Pies player who hasn't shown a lot. That said, when this dies down he is privy to the same protection against player slagging off as the others.

Sometimes you just have to let emotions play out a bit. He's yet to wear a jumper and it takes some getting used to for supporters to automatically embrace a player. Supporters probably remember Pagan bringing his mate Micky Martyn across just to nurse him to 300 games.

Ruck depth is important and I am glad we have a developed body in case things go pear shaped. It was completely out of the (navy) blue though and you have to wonder why we used our second rookie pick because I doubt anybody else was looking at him. I felt sorry for him at the Pies and think he really felt the weight of expectation given how he was a highly rated junior and Pies paid a premium for him.

An absolute minority of critics for these three. Every player has detractors but this is not close to comparable.

On a BigFooty level, Mick has just changed our name to Barbara, forced us to wear a name tag and sent us to Bay 13 to toughen up. :D

I wasn't referring to him being early in his career, I was saying at Carlton supporters are also quick to judge young players (Bootsma and Lucas). I was referring to people commenting on his playing career with us before it's begun, and I stand by that statement. I love this club dearly but I do believe our supporters are more pessimistic than most. It's not necessarily a bad trait, we're a very demanding supporter base, but look where that has gotten us, 16 flags and the equally most successful club ever.

But, in more recent times, I think has taken a bit of a nasty turn. I don't recall many clubs giving their own players Bronx cheers when they take a mark, in fact I can't ever recall it happening bar Melbourne fans cheering Watts' substitution. Anyway, I think that due to so much success we've become a little impatient in waiting for the next period of domination.

I think this is a little different to the Pagan and Martyn situation too. Don't forget how bad we were and how awful our defense was. It wasn't the best choice but it also made some sense at the time.

Yes, this clearly has MM written all over it, but why shouldn't it? He's the bloody coach, and if he and the recruitment staff think he can add immediate depth, even at the VFL level, then why not do it? If we'd drafted a young ruckmen, where was he going to play in the future anyway? Kreuzer and Warnock aren't going anywhere, so what would be the point developing another one right now, especially considering the very limited stocks available this year.

This is a low risk, medium-reward decision that is quite pragmatic yes, but also leaves us with the easy option of replacing him. If we'd drafted a kid, he'd be stuck on the senior list, and there was no other decent rookies.

Shane: "We need a backup ruck, who should we draft Mick?"
Mick: "I'll tell you one thing, I worked with Cam Wood for years at Collingwood, whatever you do DON'T get him he's a complete SPUD!"
Shane: "Mick .. you there? Sorry mate, bad reception. Anyways I heard the name Cam Wood - you're in luck Wood is still available and our second pick is coming up now . I'll just...."
<disconnect>
Mick: "SHANE????"
Mick: "****!"

Tend to agree with posters suggesting he'll be good for the NB's and to that end giving our developing mids a good look at the ball in the VFL (plus he knows Mick's game plan).

Has played senior footy so knows what it's about should he come in at some point plus if he does get games in the senior team I'd suggest it will only be to cover injuries and wont be for too long.

If you look past the lack of success in senior ranks the pick still has some value in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wood wasn't our last pick in the rookie draft. Suggests that another club might have been interested in his services as a back up ruck.

Wood's game did remind me of Warnock.

Sydney signed Tom Derickx who has shown less than Wood.

Wasn't Derickx the guy who fumbled a easy mark which cost Richmond the game against GC?

I wasn't referring to him being early in his career, I was saying at Carlton supporters are also quick to judge young players (Bootsma and Lucas). I was referring to people commenting on his playing career with us before it's begun, and I stand by that statement. I love this club dearly but I do believe our supporters are more pessimistic than most. It's not necessarily a bad trait, we're a very demanding supporter base, but look where that has gotten us, 16 flags and the equally most successful club ever.

But, in more recent times, I think has taken a bit of a nasty turn. I don't recall many clubs giving their own players Bronx cheers when they take a mark, in fact I can't ever recall it happening bar Melbourne fans cheering Watts' substitution. Anyway, I think that due to so much success we've become a little impatient in waiting for the next period of domination.

I think this is a little different to the Pagan and Martyn situation too. Don't forget how bad we were and how awful our defense was. It wasn't the best choice but it also made some sense at the time.

Yes, this clearly has MM written all over it, but why shouldn't it? He's the bloody coach, and if he and the recruitment staff think he can add immediate depth, even at the VFL level, then why not do it? If we'd drafted a young ruckmen, where was he going to play in the future anyway? Kreuzer and Warnock aren't going anywhere, so what would be the point developing another one right now, especially considering the very limited stocks available this year.

This is a low risk, medium-reward decision that is quite pragmatic yes, but also leaves us with the easy option of replacing him. If we'd drafted a kid, he'd be stuck on the senior list, and there was no other decent rookies.

Yes, it is low risk. A spot on a rookie list for a ruckman with AFL experience. At least he is used to training like an AFL player and understands the demands of our coach. However there are many reasonable supporters shocked by the selection. It wasn't on the radar of anybody but the club and there only knowledge of Wood is that he was last at the enemy and he failed. As I said, sometimes you just have to let these things have their head of steam before going through the next stage of the process. It really isn't relevant to other players at this stage. He's not a young player or a developing player. You'd probably be in a small minority who heard it, and thought 'yeah sure, why not'. At least give some other a chance to reconcile it before seeking to be outraged by our supporter base. Some will accept it and justify it. Some will go 'meh, who cares'. Some will find a way to look forward to it. Some will continue to be outraged no matter what. Give them a moment to sort themselves into their respective categories.

Oh and my point about this being on Mick, is that Mick would have made this decision. Whether he should have or not was never brought up. As you said he is the coach, but if he makes decision they are prone to criticism or praise.

Hardly. He was a Williamstown player. You could say buyer beware but you don't get more awareness than a delisted AFL player doing reasonably for a VFL team. There is a strategy at play here. At least he's a big lump of a lad who can stand there and throw up an arm and let our talented midfield have a chance should we lose Warnock and Kreuzer. A project 18 year old ruck would take years to come on.

I'm extremely happy with the positional aspect and physical aspect of this selection, just surprised by the name. He used to have the talent as a junior. Who knows if his head has been 100% right. He certainly has nothing to lose.

I liked his tweet though. He thought he was no chance so I wonder if Mick even talked to him before this.

What did he tweet?

Yes, it is low risk. A spot on a rookie list for a ruckman with AFL experience. At least he used to training like an AFL player and understands the demands of our coach. However there are many reasonable supporters shocked by the selection. It wasn't on the radar of anybody but the club and there only knowledge of Wood is that he was last at the enemy and he failed. As I said, sometimes you just have to let these things have their head of steam before going through the next stage of the process. It really isn't relevant to other players at this stage. He's not a young player or a developing player. You'd probably be in a small minority who heard it, and thought 'yeah sure, why not'. At least give some other a chance to reconcile it before seeking to be outraged by our supporter base. Some will accept it and justify it. Some will go 'meh, who cares'. Some will find a way to look forward to it. Some will continue to be outraged no matter what. Give them a moment to sort themselves into their respective categories.

Oh and my point about this being on Mick, is that Mick would have made this decision. Whether he should have or not was never brought up. As you said he is the coach, but if he makes decision they are prone to criticism or praise.

Fair point, I guess it's understandable that people had a strong reaction to the decision, and it certainly did come from left field. I guess I just think that people could also think about the positives of the pick too, as well as the potential downsides. I also have looked at it from the perspective of someone who thinks this is a poor decision, and I can definitely see merit in their criticisms and understand where the doubt it coming from.

My whole real point is that at the end of the day this is a very low risk decision. If we'd had to trade for him or use a senior spot, then I'd be concerned. For me, worst case we get a season of reserves action and a new ruckmen. Best case, he's a handy depth addition and helps us in our flag ambitions.

I also think its a good decision that we've decided on a pure ruckman rather than a hybrid forward again. Our recruitment strategy seems to have changed from athletic-based priorities to pure footballing talents. We needed a good tap ruck at the NB, and we got one.

Shane: "We need a backup ruck, who should we draft Mick?"
Mick: "I'll tell you one thing, I worked with Cam Wood for years at Collingwood, whatever you do DON'T get him he's a complete SPUD!"
Shane: "Mick .. you there? Sorry mate, bad reception. Anyways I heard the name Cam Wood - you're in luck Wood is still available and our second pick is coming up now . I'll just...."
<disconnect>
Mick: "SHANE????"
Mick: "****!"

Probably closer to the truth than we all think. I actually feel a bit sorry for Wood. Malthouse went out of his way to drop Wood whenever he could and basically re-invented Leigh Brown as a ruckman so he didn't have to play him. Wood probably had a good season in the VFL because for the first time he didn't have MM glaring at him 24x7. Don't mind Wood as a 3rd ruckman but bizarre to see him reunite with Malthouse.

*grabs popcorn* for this thread

It will be a classic read!

We don't plan on providing too much entertainment for voyeurs. You should head over to the monkey enclosure on the Pies board. They are so excited about this, they have redecorated in excrement.

Probably closer to the truth than we all think. I actually feel a bit sorry for Wood. Malthouse went out of his way to drop Wood whenever he could and basically re-invented Leigh Brown as a ruckman so he didn't have to play him. Wood probably had a good season in the VFL because for the first time he didn't have MM glaring at him 24x7. Don't mind Wood as a 3rd ruckman but bizarre to see him reunite with Malthouse.

Must be more to it.

Has anybody checked the Guinness Book of Records for Player dropped by the same coach the most times?

Note that it was Buckley that ultimately delisted him. Mick might have been applying some tough love. His best season was probably 2011 ... Mick's last at the Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back