Rookie Pick #28 Welcome to Carlton ... Cameron Wood

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally taken in 2004 draft by Brisbane at #18. Traded to Collingwood in 2007 trade week for #14. Played 64 games total and was delisted at the end of 2012.

Played 20 games for Williamstown in 2013 and kicked 11 goals.

In 2011/2012, Wood averaged 12 disposals, 22 hitouts, 2 clearances, 6 contested possessions and his disposal efficiency was about 75%.

Probably wouldn't stress too much about his low DE% at Williamstown. He has been better in the not too distant past.

There's my positive slant.

Never been a fan of him in his time at Collingwood. Not sure what he adds... but hey he's in Blue now so I hope he does a Sam Jacobs somehow...

:mad:

I cannot begin to tell you how angry this selection makes me. It's not just that he's completely useless on the field, either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason we would have taken Wood is for us to have a competitive ruck-man at the NB's.

I know that may not coming off as much sense at face value but it's obvious that without a competitive ruck-man at this level, our mids don't get as much opportunity.

We're clearly not into building rucks as much as we are making sure that the mids get plenty of the ball. For this reason it makes sense.

So, in essence, it's not about the ruck-man but the mids.

A bit out of left field, but he was good in the ruck for Williamstown this year & will be a handy addition to the Northern Blues. Hopefully Warnock & Kreuzer stay on the field all season & there will be no need to elevate Wood to the senior list, but should either of them go down (or both, as we saw in 2012), having Wood in reserve will prevent us having to throw Levi or Rowe in as first ruck.

This is a 'better the devil you know' selection and is all Mick.

I do acknowledge that a third developed ruck was probably necessary if we have injuries but thought we'd go with Rowe or Casboult if we were unlucky enough to have Kreuzer and Warnock go down. Will be hard to argue with the Collingwood lite calls that follow this particular selection I guess.

Before everyone gets to worked up.

There's has been NUMEROUS examples of ruckmen thriving at a new club. I don't think anyone expected Maric to become so crucial to the tigers, Big sauce went to another level as well.

It's certainly a left-field selection, as I'm sure most expected Darcy Cameron to go. However, there is clearly strong reasonings for this selection.

Firstly, he's 26, so he's ready to play immediately, and it's not like Kreuzer and Warnock arent injury prone...

Secondly, I didn't mind what I saw from him at the pies. Others will disagree, but I think that when he was allowed a consistent run he started to improve. He also had a solid year in the VFL.

Time well tell, but this is a pretty low risk pick considering we needed the depth and this was a very very slim year for ruck stocks.

Also, how can you underestimate the importance of his previous relationship with mick? Will know the gameplan already and will be a valuable addition in the reserves too. Think about our developing mids getting reliable tap work each week now, it's seriously important.

The only reason we would have taken Wood is for us to have a competitive ruck-man at the NB's.

I know that may not coming off as much sense at face value but it's obvious that without a competitive ruck-man at this level, our mids don't get as much opportunity.

We're clearly not into building rucks as much as we are making sure that the mids get plenty of the ball. For this reason it makes sense.

So, in essence, it's not about the ruck-man but the mids.

I can see why you say that but there were at least one if not multiple better options out there who would have also provided better backup to Kreuzer/Warnock should injury have occurred. If we had to go this route I'd have taken Darren Jolly. Seriously, Jolly or Wood? Jolly may be pretty much done but at least his experience would have helped at the VFL level and he'd have offered something should he be required at AFL level. Wood offers nothing on the latter front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back