Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys I'm seriously lovin this thread. To give you an idea of how keen I am, last years final against Richmond was the first finals game in Melbourne I failed to attend since the Prelim Final of 1976! So some of the names you're bringing up ring loud & clear. To this day Bruce Doull is the best Carlton player I've had the pleasure of watching. From there you could throw a blanket over half a dozen or so, Kouta, Diesel, Dominator, Sticks, Braddles etc etc etc.
I grew up watching home games in front of the press box with my old man. How many times between 1981-1983 did we blow sides with Parkin Premiership quarter?
Great great times.
I reckon it was a great bluff by Parko. The players believed they could smash teams in the 3rd qtr and the opposition were transfixed into believing they couldn't stop the juggernaut. A great example of how much of the game is played above the shoulders.

I reckon there were plenty of opposition players who tangled with the likes of Harmes, Johnston and Buckley who didn't quite get the mosquito bit.

Two blokes I played footy with in the Ammos found out the hard way. They thought it would be amusing to bait Johhno and Bucks at the Nightclub when it was located in the Gardiner Stand. The Blues had lost and the boys had some fun. When they left the venue they were unaware that the Dom and Jimmy were on their tail. In the car park they suffered the wrath of two of the meanest ever to set foot on a footy field. At training during the week the signs of combat were obvious and news reports on the deeds of the Carlton duo regularly made it onto the notice board in our club rooms :thumbsu::D

I don't recall Harmesy being an outside the rules player but the other two were capable of leaving a trail of destruction. Bucks fixing up our current coach at the MCG is a highlight that comes to mind. Johnno at the same venue gave a little howdy doody to Gubby Allen and Dipper that I recall fondly:confused:

Come on BG1983, he didn't kick it, Sheldon did!!! Stuff like this cannot be said in the Memory Lane thread! :)

Good pick up TL. I think we have a double agent in our midst who slipped up badly. I'll certainly be careful if Bluegal joins the conversation. Her enthusiasm for the MKR thread should have been a dead giveaway;)

I see you list your location as Upper Kumbukta West. I must ask, how are Mrs McGillicuddy & her son Robert these days? They must miss the halcyon days of the '70s through to the '90s.
Mate if I tell you where I actually live you'd have no idea where that is. At least this way someone knows. And the locals are fine, thanks for asking.

Were you the 'whistler'????
No, I can't whistle pal!! Tony Barbers about my height though.
I forgot to mention in my original post that I was at the game a group of Uni Students started shouting "Woof" every time Val Perovic kicked the ball.
We had the game in the bag early so he started kicking torps toward the scoreboard end & he was really getting onto them.
It just went from there!! Can anyone else remember that day???

That was my prime period at PP, TB. Were you that mongrel who jumped the beer queue on me back in 81?
Good to have money:rolleyes:, I never dealt with queue's.

I used to take mine hidden in my bag back then to save a bit of coin and so I didnt have to worry about the legal drinking age and identification issues....;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did my underage drinking at the Gladstone Park Hotel or The Royal in Essendon. I've never been a fan of having a beer during the game but I remember plenty of Crown Lager shouts in the top bar of the Social Club celebrating a win.:thumbsu:

Not quite two years ago I was goal umpiring at an Ammos match that my son was playing. I was rapt to be helping this day. It was freezing and the rain was steady. I was wearing a white coat that hadn't been washed in a while and the stale odour was off putting. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to wave the flags as raising my arms unleashed a smell that was pretty ordinary. I got through the first quarter, confirmed the scores and listened to the coaches address.

I remember walking some water over to the Umpires, one of them made a smart remark and I walked away thinking all umpires are fwits. I was then overcome by a feeling that stopped me in my tracks. I bent over, then stood straight and took a few deep breaths. I felt a little better and headed off to continue goal umpiring. A behind was scored and I waved the flag enthusiastically. Bang the terrible feeling hit me again. I was becoming concerned but thought it would blow over. Our blokes went on a behind fest and I knew I was stuffed so embarrassingly I called for a replacement.

I sat out the rest of the quarter, had some water and felt well enough to signal my wife to join me near the club rooms. I walked about 100 metres, climbed the steps onto the concourse and bang, the lights went out. I knew I was toppling, grabbed for a support, missed it and crumpled to the ground a la David Rhys-Jones at the MCG. While I was out a number of people, including my wife, made a beeline for me. By the time I came to I had my wife on one side of me and Veronica, the Canteen Lady and ex-nurse, looking concerned and talking to me. I was surprisingly calm, almost serene and it was the others who had the look of horror on their faces. Ronnie checked my pulse and told me it rat-a-tat tatting at an incredible speed. Sort of like Carl Palmer's 'The Tank' drum solo from Emerson, Lake and Palmer's self-titled album. She gave a technical name but I just understood it as a fast and erratic heartbeat.

The ambulance was called but it was thought best not to move me. Remember the type of day it was! I looked around at the faces looking down at me and most I didn't know. I got to a face and thought, s**t, that's ex-Carlton champion, premiership captain, current AFL Chairman, Mike Fitzpatrick. We were playing Old Carey so Mike had a reason to be there but I didn't know it at the time. It was like spying a message of good fortune seeing him looking down on me.

I was made comfortable, support for my head and a huge tartan golf umbrella kept the rain off me.

I'll fast forward. Ambulance arrived. Woo ooo'd through the huge intersection where the Freeway runs into Flemington Rd and whatever the other road is which dissects it and ended up at the RMH. Spent the night there and went home on the Sunday. I was at work on Monday. I then had to endure various procedures and got the all clear a couple of months later.

I had a number of people at the Club to thank the following Saturday. I was chatting about the events and mentioned Fitzy to the guy I was talking to. He then told me that it was Fitzy who donated his huge tartan golf umbrella to keep the rain off me.

#Believe :thumbsu:

With the practice match circus about to start, hard not to recall the first match Judd played against the Doggies at PP all those years ago.
A crazy afternoon that effectively re-launched our club after spending way too many years at the bottom of the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back