Crows v Port NAB challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of them I'd say are the Port C team.
No excuse for this score but the majority of the players have never played a AFL game or played under 20 games.

Outs:
Boak
Ebert
Gray
Hartlett
Schulz
Wingard
Westhoff
Jonas
Carlile
Trengove
Lobbe
Cornes

*Says there is no excuse*
*Gives excuse anyway*

The Crows were the better side not matter any excuses.

No significant injuries so both sides will be happy about that.

Yes he did. I was a massive fan of his as a rookie, but injuries stopped him. I hope he can go on with it at Port.
Only early doors for him but looks like he might be ready to have a decent crack at AFL now, time will tell.

What? You say you put a guy out on the field who's never played an aussie rules game, like it's an excuse, that's just stupid. That's what I'm implying.

What? You say you put a guy out on the field who's never played an aussie rules game, like it's an excuse, that's just stupid. That's what I'm implying.

It's trying to develop him as quickly as possible but at the same time realising that he probably isn't ready.

It's trying to develop him as quickly as possible but at the same time realising that he probably isn't ready.

I realise that Jumbo. Definitely isn't ready if he's 'just off the plane from Ireland' and 'never played an aussie rules game'? You still put him out there to represent your club. Anyway......given we had 8 first choice players out as well as port having that plus more out, am pleased with the depth we are building after that result.

Both teams played with different agendas. IMO the crows were especially experimenting with their new forward set-up. While for us I can't help thinking Hinkley et al were telling the AFL FFS stop with these pre-season Showdowns. The late withdrawal of Boak, Wingard and Lobbe from an already de-tuned team plus nine Port players playing their first AFL game attests to that.
I was there and found our different set-ups and the way our players reacted interesting. I'm sure the Crows fans did too with their team. Good use of a pre-season game by both teams.
Dirty as in like how Dom standing over Danger and kneed Danger in ribs when he was getting up off the ground? :rolleyes:
You make it sound like there is something wrong with that.

Crows with 10 out, including Thompson, Walker, B Crouch, Rutten, Lynch, Otten & Reilly. From both sides, Porplyzia was the only injury for the game.

Final score: Crows 18.11 119 vs Port 9.5 59

From the post-match interview with Sanderson I heard that Henderson, Laird and Petrenko were also out for this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of Ports team today I only see Monfries, Wines (who was the sub), Broadbent, O'Shea and White as guys that won't be playing any games for the Magpies this season.

With the way Polec played I cant see him playing many games with the Maggies either.

Players listed in bold played today. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2013 John Cahill Medal Top 10:
Chad Wingard
Travis Boak
Kane Cornes
Brad Ebert
Justin Westhoff
Angus Monfries
Jay Schulz
Cameron O'Shea
Hamish Hartlett
Matthew Lobbe

2013 Malcolm Blight Medal Top 10:
Rory Sloane
Richard Douglas
Patrick Dangerfield
Daniel Talia

Andy Otten
Luke Brown
Scott Thompson
Ben Rutten
Tom Lynch
Brad Crouch

Last edited:
Players listed in bold played today. Correct me if I'm wrong.
2013 John Cahill Medal Top 10:
Chad Wingard
Travis Boak
Kane Cornes
Brad Ebert
Justin Westhoff
Angus Monfries
Jay Schulz
Cameron O'Shea
Hamish Hartlett
Matthew Lobbe

2013 Malcolm Blight Medal Top 10:
Rory Sloane
Richard Douglas
Patrick Dangerfield
Daniel Talia

Andy Otten
Luke Brown
Scott Thompson
Ben Rutten
Tom Lynch
Brad Crouch
Lynch didn't play, he's still recovering from foot surgery.

There's no doubt Port were severely undermanned, that's not up for debate. What some are taking issue with is claims that Adelaide were 'near full strength'. The Crows had at least 8 first choice players (Lynch, Thompson, Tex, Reilly, Rutten, B. Crouch, VB and Otten) out of the side with another 3 (Petrinko, Laird and Henderson) that are debatable but more realistically in the fringe 20-25 range, so disregarding them, that's still more than a quarter of Adelaide's best side that didn't play.

Having said that, purely from a young players point of view. I saw plenty of reasons for both sides to be excited about, a lot to like for both sides.

Lynch didn't play, he's still recovering from foot surgery.

There's no doubt Port were severely undermanned, that's not up for debate. What some are taking issue with is claims that Adelaide were 'near full strength'. The Crows had at least 8 first choice players (Lynch, Thompson, Tex, Reilly, Rutten, B. Crouch, VB and Otten) out of the side with another 3 (Petrinko, Laird and Henderson) that are debatable but more realistically in the fringe 20-25 range, so disregarding them, that's still more than a quarter of Adelaide's best side that didn't play.

From those who did play today, Laird is definitely in the side ahead of Jaensch and Lyons, and Henderson is definitely in the side well ahead of Martin and Shaw.

Laird and Henderson are best 22 players, Petrenko not so much.

If teams ie (Brisbane Pt Adelaide) are going to pick 4th rate teams -people aernt going to watch that uncompetitive rubbish

The pre season comp was worth winning once - Geelong won it in 2009 - beating Collingwood

In the 80s when Hawthorn dominated - they regularly won it - can remember 1988 - when they beat Geelong

Theres so much reward in the AFL for being hopeless ie The Draft

They should have a proper pre season comp - like they used to - and teams that actually try - should get rewarded- the winner of the pre season comp should get say pick 20 in the Draft - as a reward for winning it

What Leppicth did was just totally and utterly stupid - theve just lost$ 1.5 million last season - they need members - youve got to give supporters hope - and he picks a ridiculous team - what a bloody tool head

Remove this Banner Ad

Back