Mega Thread Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games - 7th Feb - 23rd Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

wow, what a finish in the biathlon. nearly ended in disaster for the Norwegian, Svendsen. Nearly got caught on the finish by celebrating too early.

Incredible finish, I just don't understand how anyone could get 'complacent' like that so close to the end of an event.

1st and 2nd finish on the same time - I thought they get the same medal if that happens?

end to the biathlon was unbelievable! Shades of black caviar and luke nolen easing her up on the line to only just win.
The computer had the french guy level on time must have been thousands of a second

end to the biathlon was unbelievable! Shades of black caviar and luke nolen easing her up on the line to only just win.
The computer had the french guy level on time must have been thousands of a second

Yep they go to the 3rd decimal place if needed. Happens in all alpine sports.

The missile was 0.1 second from winning gold

The chump didn't even get to the semis

What a fizzler.. and the amount of build up for chumpy night was embarrassing.

Still a choke from the missile imo.

Definite fizzer though. This could be our worst winter Olympic performance in a while.

wasn't it built as our strongest team ever? Where did it all go wrong apart from chumpy

BigRed.JPG

wasn't it built as our strongest team ever? Where did it all go wrong apart from chumpy

Being realistic we were only really a chance of winning 3 golds and that is at best. Torah in the half pipe- only lost by 0.25 and most commentators thought she was unlucky to do so. Lydia in the ariels- would have won if she landed it, and Chumpy and his event is a lottery. The others were no chance. The speed skater had no chance, and the girl in the ski slope style is just back from an ACL- a medal would have been an achievement

What a crapshoot of a sport

Agree- world rankings mean nothing in that sport. The number of riders who just get clipped and it is called ‘racing’ is quite harsh. At least most competitors who crash go out that way, rather than the rider making a mistake.

But Chokey is a valid nickname – no one else caused his crash but himself. The fact is he won one race – that was it. Didn’t even get to the semis or the final. If he got to the final and stuffed up like that we would be more accepting of it. So for all that money we got what exactly?

I have to agree the Samsung ads are overplayed to start and are now just cringeworthy………..”Its not about winning………..” of course it isn’t Chumpy.

Agree- world rankings mean nothing in that sport. The number of riders who just get clipped and it is called ‘racing’ is quite harsh. At least most competitors who crash go out that way, rather than the rider making a mistake.

But Chokey is a valid nickname – no one else caused his crash but himself. The fact is he won one race – that was it. Didn’t even get to the semis or the final. If he got to the final and stuffed up like that we would be more accepting of it. So for all that money we got what exactly?

I have to agree the Samsung ads are overplayed to start and are now just cringeworthy………..”Its not about winning………..” of course it isn’t Chumpy.

The most important thing is he had fun. It was fun to watch too. As long we all have fun....like Im having fun at my desk job watching my tax dollars a work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. The other 2 Aussies Hughes and Bolton at least got clipped and couldn't have done anything about it.

Agree. The other 2 Aussies Hughes and Bolton at least got clipped and couldn't have done anything about it.

Plus they didn't get paid a million bucks to do so! Chumpy 'Chokey' has to be the most overpaid sportsperson on the planet!

Don't get why winter olympic athlete's get so much funding

No one cares about them outside of 1 day every 4 years and even then its normally lukewarm interest.

Surely Chumpy getting 1 million is about 800k too much.

Plus they didn't get paid a million bucks to do so! Chumpy 'Chokey' has to be the most overpaid sportsperson on the planet!

Umm, you might find that Bolton is funded to the same level as Pullin is on a yearly basis as they are training partners and therefore are covered for the same level of funding as each other. So with $10 million worth of funding to the entire Winter program, 2 athletes aren't taking up a 5th of that funding. But that wouldn't fit the story now would it:rolleyes:

As for the others, Torah Bright and Scotty James have both been offered and declined OWIA scholarships, but have State Institute Scholarships. The rest of the Snowboard team have a mix of State Institutes Scholarships and results based funding which is the same for other events that we fund - both Summer and Winter.

Basically want more funding - perform in the years before to get it. The AOC is in the results based business

Last edited:
Umm, you might find that Bolton is funded to the same level as Pullin is on a yearly basis as they are training partners and therefore are covered for the same level of funding as each other. So with $10 million worth of funding to the entire Winter program, 2 athletes aren't taking up a 5th of that funding. But that wouldn't fit the story now would it:rolleyes:

As for the others, Torah Bright and Scotty James have both been offered and declined OWIA scholarships, but have State Institute Scholarships. The rest of the Snowboard team have a mix of State Institutes Scholarships and results based funding which is the same for other events that we fund - both Summer and Winter.

Basically want more funding - perform in the years before to get it. The AOC is in the results based business

Mate whatever he is being paid it is too much- It is a glorified X Games sport FFS! I would rather put more money into alpine skiing or actual snowboard events. He is all over the as and what has the spud done? Crashed in Vancouver and again in Sochi, n short he is ordinary at best. At least Torah has won 2 medals in the last 2 Olympics! How about they rewar performance AT THE PREVIOUS OLYMPICS! That is the fairest possible outcome for all.

Torah deserves funding- she actually performs unlike dud Chumpy! I am just hoping the spud isn't carrying the flag again!

Gee get a serious grip dude....... or maybe let go of one ??

Don't get why winter olympic athlete's get so much funding

No one cares about them outside of 1 day every 4 years and even then its normally lukewarm interest.

Surely Chumpy getting 1 million is about 800k too much.

Chumpy isn't getting $1mil funding from AOC/AIS scholarships. Most of the money is from sponsorship which he gets from Euro and USA sponsors as he is a 2 time world champion and in part of the Northern Hemisphere, his sport has plenty of media exposure.

You don't understand the politics of the IOC and AOC. The fact Sydney put on such a good show gave the AOC clout within the IOC. A competitive Winter Olympics performance keeps up the recognition. We have 61 competitors at Sochi. 3 teams have 200+, 9 have 100-199 and 5 teams have 62-99 competitors. So that makes the the 18th largest team for a desert country. It means TV ratings are up and TV $$$ paid to the IOC is up and the AOC influence is maintain.

John Coates last September was voted in as a Vice President. He was appointed to the IOC in 2001 and within 12 months he was appointed to important IOC commissions. the 2 bolded are the big ones. Plus he was appointed President of the Court for Arbitration in Sport.

Don't believe the BS you read or hear that Demetriou is the most powerful man in Australian sports. Coates leaves him in his wake. Coates is better connected politically and to Australian corporates.

http://www.olympic.org/mr-john-d-coates-ac

IOC History
Member of the Executive Board (2009-2013); Vice-President (2013-); Member of the following Commissions: Juridical (2002-), Olympic Games Study (2002-2003), TV Rights and New Media (2005-), Coordination for the Games of the XXX Olympiad in London in 2012 (2005-), Coordination for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 (2010-)

http://www.olympic.org/mr-john-d-coates-ac

The Winter Olympics might not get as much love here in Australia. But man, I love watching the skiing. Jelly of those guys, I am.

I prefer the Winter Olympics. There are less dud sports that are repetitive and boring.

Apart from curling just about every other winter Olympic sport you can kill yourself. Event the figure skating. You imagine doing a quadruple spin, stuffing up the landing and cracking your skull on the ice. Who knows what the final result would be.

The speed and danger involved with the Winter Olympics sports leave most of the Summer Olympics way behind for sheer adrenaline and excitement. Some of the sports are pure lunacy.

The X-games events adopted for the Winter Olympics have added a fair bit to the TV coverage and interest. The trouble is unless you live in the snowfields or go to snow areas in Oz or overseas often, most of us have almost no experience having a crack at these sports. Where as for the Summer Olympics who hasn't at some stage when they were a kid or even later, run on the track or road, thrown or jumped, swum, cycled, played table tennis, tennis, badminton, basketball, hockey, baseball, softball, boxed, volleyball, beach volleyball, shot a gun, rowed a boat or a kayak, lifted weights, or tumbled and done a bit of gymnastics.

I watch some of these Winter sports shaking my head in disbelief and saying things like holy *, but don't find most of them grabbing my heart strings because I have never done them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back