Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Lots of complaining about the ticketing for the game - thought it might be good to have a thread about the actual game.

Both teams have delivered some thumpings to wa teams in the last week.

Both teams undefeated.

Enthralling prelim final last year.

Personnel changes for both sides since then. (Chappy, pods, Bailey, lake, Buddy)

9 day break for both sides should give best possible lead up to a great game.

Personally - I haven't seen any of Geelong's games except the narrow win against Collingwood (which was very similar to hawthorns win against Essendon) so I don't have the true form guide to predict. I'm also quite biased.

So go ahead - make your predictions

Lots of complaining about the ticketing for the game - thought it might be good to have a thread about the actual game.

Both teams have delivered some thumpings to wa teams in the last week.

Both teams undefeated.

Enthralling prelim final last year.

Personnel changes for both sides since then. (Chappy, pods, Bailey, lake, Buddy)

9 day break for both sides should give best possible lead up to a great game.

Personally - I haven't seen any of Geelong's games except the narrow win against Collingwood (which was very similar to hawthorns win against Essendon) so I don't have the true form guide to predict. I'm also quite biased.

So go ahead - make your predictions

Massive, massive, massive game!

The AFL will be hoping for a thriller!

Need a great game to save us from the so called lackluster start to the season!

the way the hawks have played over the last few without a few of thier big names will be enough for a H&A win against the cats.

While it pains me to say it, I suspect Hawthorn will win. Hawks have been looking very good this year, and the departure of Buddy isn't as big as it's touted to be as the Hawks had already been working to not be so reliant on him last season. Cats have been looking pretty good this year, but the opposition they've faced thus far may not present an accurate portrait of where they're truly at, as Collingwood and West Coast may not be as highly ranked as they appear to be. I'd love it if the Cats managed to get up somehow but I'm not exactly holding my breath on it.

Hawthorn's ability to pile on the goals of late is very threatening, but if history tells us anything high-scoring teams can be brought down to earth when they play the top 2 or 3 teams. Freo would fit in this category and Hawthorn smashed them.

Watching Geelong this year I think they have been okay without being anything flash. One big improvement on previous years, especially last year, is ruck/winning contested footy and clearances. Last year the cats had a good season despite often letting the opposition waltz the ball out of the middle quite easily - they seem to have fixed this up a bit now.

Would like to see the stats, but Hawthorn without Buddy just seem more scary. Last year, in the first game, there was a small period that Hawthorn completely dominated. During that period the Hawks were sure to hit up the leading smaller forward about 40m out from goal. Do this all game and Hawks win easily.

Geelong's key advantage I think would still be the contested footy. Sam Mitchell is a gun, but I think the cats should have the Hawks covered overall in the contests. Hawthorn would have Geelong covered on the spread. For mine, with the wide spaces of the MCG, Geelong need to pick their 'corridor' moments wisely, and not be afraid of playing the boundary line. Stoppages in the forward 50 will also be important given both team's strength at launching attacks from the defensive 50.

My tip? I think Hawthorn. Geelong have yet to play a really top side, so perhaps some of the weaknesses have not been shown up as yet. Hawks have done it against Essendon and Freo. The $2.50 for Geelong is overs though for those who are betting types.

I don't think Geelong will lose the midfield battle as comprehensively as Fremantle did, and I think Geelong have a fuller set of key defenders to keep Roughead and Gunston honest.

However Hawthorn's form is irresistible, so I'm picking them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, I hope the Cats players aren't as much of a bunch of believers in the Hawthorn hype as people here.

Cats by three goals, after tackling Hawthorn to death and now allowing them the space to execute their high disposal efficiency game. Speeecccialll Cyril to be largely unsighted apart from 1-2 flashes of brilliance, as per other performances against the Cats.

If ever a game is needed to save this already dire season this is it. The season starts here with this game, if the Hawks blow Geelong away then you might as well close the book on the whole year. I think the Cats will give them fits as usual. Geelong's younger brigade are standing up better than i expected and will win another close one. The Hawks take too many risks and the Cats will make you pay for that, as long as Simpson and McIntosh stay on the park then Geelong's midfield will be very difficult to deal with. Hawkins is a key and looks a helluva lot better this year than last. Hawthorn are a much better team without Franklin and now have multiple goal kicking options, it will be a great game.The big question mark is how many will attend? The AFL will be watching closely as this game should attract 80,000, my bet is they will be lucky to get 65,000 and that is a major concern.

One of those 11 includes a qualifying final.

Hawthorn. We're travelling ok - better than I'd hoped - but we've got a ton of youngsters and they will make mistakes. I see Hawthorn just having a little too much poise and class when it gets tight.

Very happy to have a genuine ruck combination in Simpson and McIntosh, and have Hawkins able to actually move this year. But still Hawthorn.

Suspect Hawthorn will get up, they look pretty hard to beat this year. However i will admit i havn't watched a Geelong game yet.

Best thing about the Hawthorn v Geelong match ups, is nobody knows what will happen. Will be a belter no matter who gets up though.

(Go cats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back