Preview Rd 5: Brisbane v Richmond, @ GABBA, 7.50 PM - Thursday 17/4/2014 - Vickery not on flight

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it would affect us, I mean I doubt the VFL is that taxing on players
Last week Lennon played in a game where there were only 2 on the bench for a half, this week they have played 4 days before an AFL game

Last week Lennon played in a game where there were only 2 on the bench for a half, this week they have played 4 days before an AFL game

Fair enough on Lennon. Foley has been around for years now. McDonough only played a half that week and a full game Sunday?

Either way, Grigg should have been dropped

So what happens now with McDonough, Lennon and Foley if they don't end up being late inclusions for the brizzy game?
Do they play VFL on the weekend? Because if they don't then it would be silly to bring any of them in for the cats game if they haven't had a run the week before...

So what happens now with McDonough, Lennon and Foley if they don't end up being late inclusions for the brizzy game?
Do they play VFL on the weekend? Because if they don't then it would be silly to bring any of them in for the cats game if they haven't had a run the week before...

Well planned by Dimma and co. Another match for Grigg etc ;)

Yep they are named in the VFL squad. Assuming the senior team will fly back on Fri.

Lol at the posters saying we play kids, we are like the 3rd oldest club now.
Average Age
1. Fremantle 24.90
2. Sydney 24.78
3. Carlton 24.52
4. North 24.49
5. Hawthorn 24.47
6. St.Kilda 24.22
7. Adelaide 24.20
8. Richmond 24.17
9. Essendon 23.97
10. Geelong 23.96
11. Western Bulldogs 23.93
12. West Coast 23.93
13. Collingwood 23.87
14. Brisbane 23.84
15. Melbourne 23.71
16. Port 23.34
17. Gold Coast 23.02
18. GWS 21.90

Average Games
1. Sydney 81.47
2. Fremantle 79.80
3. North 75.13
4. Hawthorn 74.50
5. Carlton 72.61
6. West Coast 70.10
7. Collingwood 69.90
8. Geelong 68.03
9. Essendon 68
10. Richmond 67.39
11. Brisbane 65.03
12. St.Kilda 64.65
13. Adelaide 62.38
14. Bulldogs 60.88
15. Port 59.23
16. Melbourne 51.03
17. Gold Coast 49.85
18. GWS 34.15

Source: AFL Prospectus

So looking at that we're middle of the pack in both age and experience and yet we all seem to think that we're a walk up start for the finals because we made it last year. Given we had an extraordinary run with injury and are now seeing the side struggle with a few injuries to key players perhaps it's time that we all took a step back and thought maybe we were a bit fortunate last year to finish as high as we did and that our depth while it has potential isn't quite ready to carry the load when a few stars are missing.

If they aren't playing tomorrow no doubt they'll be back on the plane that night or first thing Friday morning so they can line up for the VFL on Saturday.

Not surprising we are higher on age list than we are on games played. Having a bunch of old blokes who couldn't get a game in the bottom teams for years will do that.

Average age of the squad is kind of irrelevant. It would be the age of the team that's actually out there playing that the media would be talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprising we are higher on age list than we are on games played. Having a bunch of old blokes who couldn't get a game in the bottom teams for years will do that.

Average age of the squad is kind of irrelevant. It would be the age of the team that's actually out there playing that the media would be talking about.

Wow. Ave age and games played still doesn't work to bag the club.

Let's try average age of the side that went out in round 4 and see if that backs your argument.

Maric (28) Deledio (27), A Edwards (30), King (30), Knights (27), Orren (31) all missed last weekend. These top age players skew our list but also mean that we would have had a relatively young average age team on the park last weekend.

Not sure what stats you are looking at but it would be great to see some information that backs up your generalisations.

Wow. Ave age and games played still doesn't work to bag the club.

Let's try average age of the side that went out in round 4 and see if that backs your argument.

Maric (28) Deledio (27), A Edwards (30), King (30), Knights (27), Orren (31) all missed last weekend. These top age players skew our list but also mean that we would have had a relatively young average age team on the park last weekend.

Not sure what stats you are looking at but it would be great to see some information that backs up your generalisations.
I wasn't looking at any stats. Was just making a point that the media would be going off average age of the team that played not the entire squad. No need to get defensive about it. Wasn't bagging anyone.

I wasn't looking at any stats. Was just making a point that the media would be going off average age of the team that played not the entire squad. No need to get defensive about it. Wasn't bagging anyone.
"should"

They don't

edit: depends what helps their argument

If we have a late change they'll be sub

Anyone that doesn't play would be available for the Saturday VFL game
You'll probably find the guys fly back Thursday night after the game

The whole age thing shits me.
Some people get so wrapped up in it that once someone turns 24-25 they think they should be on their way unless they are champions.
There is one particular poster in here that if they had their way would draft players and then trade them at 22-23 for the best young talent and so on and so on.
Circle work .
In the next breath they will be bemoaning Schulz and white.(older admittedly).:mad:

I don't see how the media can with the information they have.

The only thing I'm reading in this forum tonight is criticism of the list whether it be ave age, games played or ave age of the team that ran out on round 4 2014. All have been debunked with statistics.

It seems the heart of the matter to some posters is they wanted McDonough playing over Grigg, Petterd or S Edwards.

They would probably be the same posters that would complain if McDonough did play tomorrow night and he ripped his hamstring off the bone - citing the 4 day break from his last game. Imagine the outcry.

I'm not sure if he missed out because of this or Dimma backed another player over him tomorrow night. But I'll back the clubs judgement and hope he plays well enough on the weekend to get a call up next week.

I don't see how the media can with the information they have.

The only thing I'm reading in this forum tonight is criticism of the list whether it be ave age, games played or ave age of the team that ran out on round 4 2014. All have been debunked with statistics.

It seems the heart of the matter to some posters is they wanted McDonough playing over Grigg, Petterd or S Edwards.

They would probably be the same posters that would complain if McDonough did play tomorrow night and he ripped his hamstring off the bone - citing the 4 day break from his last game. Imagine the outcry.

I'm not sure if he missed out because of this or Dimma backed another player over him tomorrow night. But I'll back the clubs judgement and hope he plays well enough on the weekend to get a call up next week.
He would have missed out because of the 4day break you'd imagine. Not sure he'd have got in with a 6 or 7 day break but no chance on 4. Personally I'd have preferred to just keep Vickery in and just go unchanged. Petterd has played one good game and Vickery was better in it. Vickery certainly wasn't on his lonesome with lazy efforts either.

That's just me though and as I said earlier in the thread, I just don't care anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back