VFL Final Practice Match v Carlton - Punt Road Oval Thursday 14th March 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointments today
HRS looks disinterested and can’t get near the contest. He’s a massive disappointment.
Kosi is just not good enough and will never be. Luckiest man on the earth with a three year deal.
I’m not criticising Hayes Brown , but he was way down on his last game, but I still like his ability to keep his feet and strong body work. Still think he will get to the level.
Ryan was awful early , but his last3/4’s were excellent. I’m still not sure if he’s reached his sealing/ ceiling as he struggles at the next level to physically compete. Keep him in the vfl for the whole year to monster guys and build confidence and his game.
NIWL is still the good , bad and the ugly in the one game. Was great defensively today, but poor with his decision making and offensive play which is ironic considering the criticism he gets for his defensive side of his game.

This is the type of game Cumberland should stand up and he goes missing very disappointing everybody crying for him , his got to perform like when Ross was dropped always backed it up in the vfl.

Good to see Ryan get some form.Trezise, Brown, McAuliffe, Clarke, Miller and Coulthard should all be considered we got no excuses not to promote the kids.

Not worried about Fawcett first year key position player get his body right.

Disappointments today
HRS looks disinterested and can’t get near the contest. He’s a massive disappointment.
Kosi is just not good enough and will never be. Luckiest man on the earth with a three year deal.
I’m not criticising Hayes Brown , but he was way down on his last game, but I still like his ability to keep his feet and strong body work. Still think he will get to the level.
Ryan was awful early , but his last3/4’s were excellent. I’m still not sure if he’s reached his sealing/ ceiling as he struggles at the next level to physically compete. Keep him in the vfl for the whole year to monster guys and build confidence and his game.
NIWL is still the good , bad and the ugly in the one game. Was great defensively today, but poor with his decision making and offensive play which is ironic considering the criticism he gets for his defensive side of his game.
Who is niwl

Will be at the Gold Coast next week, so hope to catch the game against The Suns at Heritage Stadium.
Sonsie and Bauer should be back which is a plus.

I just want Kosi to be a solid depth player. I don't expect him to be a star or even a decent AFL Forward. I think that ships sailed but if we can rely on him to step into the tall forward role when thinks are dire, then I'd be happy. Unfortunately, I think we're more likely to ass Ryan or Miller to take that 2nd tall role unless Kosi can prove his '3-year contract' worth at VFL.

It just shows you how desperate we were for stopgap KPF or any KPF for that matter. I mean none of us saw that coming year ago now did we.....:drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great hit out yesterday, thought the ball movement was fast, compared to our prev 2 hit outs. Maybe a little haphazard entries into the f50, but overall skills looked sharp.
Clarke a standout , foot skills stood out from every other player out there.

I’m not a Miller fan, but thought he played well, kicked long and to advantage. He is quite skilled for a big guy, just needs to take the angry pills before each game. If he played with Baltas intent he’d be playing a lot more games. He may very well get his chance next week with injuries to KPD. I’m still a long way off being convinced however, particularly matched up against the big KPFs.

Lefau, looks as though he’s growing in confidence with every game. Not sure why he didn’t appear in the last Q?

Liking Brown, aerial skill and rebound off hb. is now starting to look as though he’s above VFL level. Next is to believe in himself that he belongs at AFL level.

Tresize , imo should be part of our AFL 22/23. Clean in the air and on the ground, and very good one on one player, rarely gets beaten in a contest. Doesn’t have the polish of Brown or Clarke, but has the balls for it.

Ryan did some good things but was regularly outmuscled at throw ins by the Carton rucks. Purely as a ruckman ranked no 3 atm imo.

Kosi, a concern! Dropping lace out passes in the f50 is not getting you promoted!!

Cumbo had a bad day at the office, but thought he was trying to implement the defensive side of the game that Morris is after from him. Still a believer, his best as we’ve seen is AFL level. Needs the open spaces of the G to use his speed and agility.
And enough said re McAulliffe, looks a great latish pick.

Last edited:
Ben Miller (23 disposals, 10 marks, nine rebound-50s)

"Probably the best game I've seen Ben play. I thought he was an outstanding leader of our back six. He won the ball back for us, he took three contested marks, he had an impact with his big spoils and I thought he used the ball well. Really pleased for Ben and looking forward to seeing that on a consistent basis."

Judson Clarke (17 disposals, seven inside-50s, four marks, two goals)

"After an interrupted preparation for the season after surgery on his shoulder, he has started to hit some red-hot form. His last month of footy has been outstanding, and Thursday's game was no different."

Lachlan Street (25 disposals, 17 contested possessions, nine clearances, three inside-50s, one goal)

"Lachie continually racks up possessions at will, but it was his inside work, 17 contested possessions and nine clearances, that really stood out. He was able to hit the scoreboard also."

Hugo Ralphsmith (11 disposals, seven marks, five inside-50s)

"His run and carry once again stood out, and I thought his ball use was excellent. I think he's got a great balance between offence and defence at the moment, and he's in some really good form."

Tom Brown (17 disposals, five marks, four rebound-50s)

"He came back after being an AFL carryover the previous week, and he acquitted himself extremely well. He looks so composed and calm with the footy down back and won the ball back for us consistently on the day."

James Trezise (16 disposals, four marks, one rebound-50)

"James is in some really good form. He continues to win the ball back for us and he used the ball particularly well on Thursday. He is ready, should the opportunity arise at the next level."

Kane McAuliffe (20 disposals, five clearances, four tackles, two goals)

"Kicked one of the better goals you'll see from a midfielder from outside 50 on the boundary. He's coming along really well for a first-year player, and certainly doesn't look out of place at VFL level. I'm sure that he'll continue to build in the coming weeks."

Matthew Coulthard (12 disposals, six marks, three inside-50s, one goal)

"His defensive pressure has been outstanding in the last couple of weeks. I'm really enjoying that aspect of his game and it was nice to see him get more involved on the weekend offensively."

Chad Harris (19 disposals, seven marks, six rebound-50s)

"He looks very good down back, Chad. He's a calm, experienced head down there, and you know exactly what you're going to get."

Cam Olden (17 disposals, six marks, three inside-50s, two goals)

"Another player who is in some rare form. Cam is gonna be a formidable match-up for those he lines up against this season. He's gone from strength to strength, and whilst he had a big impact for us last season, I think he is a much better player again. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can bring in season 2024."

Will Bravo (17 disposals, two tackles, two rebound-50s)

"We challenged Will at the start of this season to become an inside bull, and that is exactly what he's becoming very quickly. he's got great running power and he is really helping us in and around stoppages. He had a big impact on the game."

Lachlan Wilson (19 disposals, seven tackles, four inside-50s)

"He's a really incredible story. At the age of 24, he is finally getting his chance at VFL level and he's making every post a winner. He led the team with seven tackles on the weekend and continues to find the ball, wherever he is playing. He's a really smart ball user."

Noah Cumberland (10 disposals, four tackles, two inside-50s)

"It was an interesting day for Noah. Whilst he didn't hit the scoreboard, I was absolutely thrilled with his defensive output. I thought he made our team and those around him better on the day, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of that from him."

Jacob Koschitzke (nine disposals, seven marks, one goal)

"He was blanketed for most of the day and found it difficult in the first half. I thought he worked his way into the contest nicely in the second half with a couple of really critical contests against multiple opponents that he was able to bring to the ground, and we were able to benefit from.

Samson Ryan (13 disposals, seven marks, two inside-50s, one goal)

"I thought Samson fought his backside off. It was a great test for him up against an experienced ruckman in Pittonet. He was able to hit the scoreboard late."

Oliver Hayes-Brown (three disposals, two tackles)

"A tough match up against a very experienced ruckman. He showed some forward craft and is continuing to improve. Great to see him get a holding the ball decision with a big crunching tackle on the wing."

Sam Banks (11 disposals, two clearances, two inside-50s)

"Sam only played a half, but I thought he had a huge impact and used the ball well. He ran hard both offensively and defensively on that wing that he knows so well."

Mykelti Lefau (eight disposals, three tackles, two goals)

"He's in outstanding form. He's bringing his training form to games and competing really well in the air, but also putting pressure on at ground level. He kicked a beautiful snap goal in the first half."

Steely Green (six disposals, two tackles, one goal)

"Didn't get much of a footy, but I'm really proud of the way that he is going about his footy. I thought he had a huge impact on the game with his defensive pressure and his selfless running patterns to help the team. We really value the fact that he is putting the team before his own performance, and he'll get rewarded for doing so no doubt."

Austin Johnson (14 disposals, four marks)

"He's in super form, he's really started to play the footy that we know he can over the last couple of weeks. He's tough, he uses the ball well and he just knows our system inside and out."

Mutaz El Nour (22 disposals, five inside-50s, three rebound-50s)

"Best game I've seen Mutaz play. His body work was outstanding. His positioning and his endeavour to help his teammates is second to none, and he used the ball well also. He's playing at a level above at the moment."

Nicholas Girolami (12 disposals, four rebound-50s)

"He's a young developing tall who we are extremely excited about. His best was absolutely outstanding, it's just about bridging the gap. I'm sure that his consistency is going to improve with time in our system."

Tom Brindley (six disposals, two inside-50s, one goal)

"Just trying to gather some consistency after an interrupted pre-season. he showed some glimpses on the weekend, but will be improved by the run."

Liam George (six disposals, two rebound-50s)

"A young player who we're extremely excited about. He's had a fantastic pre-season and he had an impact when he came on at half-time."

Ry Cantwell (eight disposals, three tackles, three inside-50s)

"He's new to playing in defence. It's only his second game in his whole career that he's played in the backline, and he did some really exciting things. He's going to mix his time between playing as a 19-year-old with the Eastern Ranges and playing with us in the VFL. He's a very exciting prospect."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back