Preview Round 1 v Carlton MCG Thursday March 14 7.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a less than auspicious start against the Suns we must quickly turn our focus to playing against a Carlton line up that was able to overcome a slow start and beat last years runners up on their home deck. So they will certainly be a challenge for us if we play like we did in the first half again.

What will help is the likely return of our captain Nankervis, key forward in Lynch and best player in Martin as it will no doubt give us a better structure as well as better execution of the game plan. As much as some would like to see wholesale changes I don't believe that Yze will panic and instead I see just the 3 changes to the line up unless someone has picked up an injury that hasn't been reported.

For mine the changes I'd make are:
Out: Ryan Naismith Prestia(rested) Grimes
In: Lynch Nankervis Martin Brown

B: Broad Young Gibcus
HB: Short Vlastuin D.Rioli
C: Ross Taranto Banks
HF: M.Rioli Baker Campbell
F: Lynch Bolton Koschitzke
R: Nankervis Hopper Martin
INT: Balta Dow Pickett McIntosh Brown

With these changes I believe we become a better structured side, with ball winning ability in close and better ball use on the outside. The forward line structures up with Lynch as the focal point and while some want him gone we should give Koschitzke the chance to work alongside Lynch rather than a raw Balta as the focal point. Speaking of Balta the second half gave us a great look at what he can do a roaming second ruck who can also push forward and have an impact inside the forward half. As such I'd pick him to support Nankervis in the ruck rather than Naismith who is basically a copy of Nankervis but not as agile around the ground.

I'd like to see us trial Ross and Banks on the wings as their ball use is much better than KMac and if we can use them along with Short and Daniel off HB we should see much better entries into F50. We saw in the 3rd quarter yesterday when Daniel was able to stream through middle and deliver quickly into the forward line our forwards were much more dangerous, we need to continue trying to play in that manner

Now I'm not going to sit here and predict a win, because I don't believe we will win, but I do think we can be a lot more competitive than we were on Saturday afternoon with a better balanced and structured line up.

After a less than auspicious start against the Suns we must quickly turn our focus to playing against a Carlton line up that was able to overcome a slow start and beat last years runners up on their home deck. So they will certainly be a challenge for us if we play like we did in the first half again.

What will help is the likely return of our captain Nankervis, key forward in Lynch and best player in Martin as it will no doubt give us a better structure as well as better execution of the game plan. As much as some would like to see wholesale changes I don't believe that Yze will panic and instead I see just the 3 changes to the line up unless someone has picked up an injury that hasn't been reported.

For mine the changes I'd make are:
Out: Ryan Naismith Prestia(rested) Grimes
In: Lynch Nankervis Martin Brown

B: Broad Young Gibcus
HB: Short Vlastuin D.Rioli
C: Ross Taranto Banks
HF: M.Rioli Baker Campbell
F: Lynch Bolton Koschitzke
R: Nankervis Hopper Martin
INT: Balta Dow Pickett McIntosh Brown

With these changes I believe we become a better structured side, with ball winning ability in close and better ball use on the outside. The forward line structures up with Lynch as the focal point and while some want him gone we should give Koschitzke the chance to work alongside Lynch rather than a raw Balta as the focal point. Speaking of Balta the second half gave us a great look at what he can do a roaming second ruck who can also push forward and have an impact inside the forward half. As such I'd pick him to support Nankervis in the ruck rather than Naismith who is basically a copy of Nankervis but not as agile around the ground.

I'd like to see us trial Ross and Banks on the wings as their ball use is much better than KMac and if we can use them along with Short and Daniel off HB we should see much better entries into F50. We saw in the 3rd quarter yesterday when Daniel was able to stream through middle and deliver quickly into the forward line our forwards were much more dangerous, we need to continue trying to play in that manner

Now I'm not going to sit here and predict a win, because I don't believe we will win, but I do think we can be a lot more competitive than we were on Saturday afternoon with a better balanced and structured line up.
Would like to add Clarke for KMac as i think that side is still too slow and I would keep Naismith bc Nakkers could blow up or get injured after a long time off. Kosi offers nothing to our team let alone our FL and he should go instead.

Muddiemoose who is in charge here? It took nearly a whole day for this preview thread, having to read you lot sooking about a game to some plastic entity

You win a couple of flags and then decide its time for a rebuild

Get up and about you lot 😉

I think you lot will fire up for an MCG clash, unfortunately the conditions will be shite

Who are the likely confirmed ins?

Muddiemoose who is in charge here? It took nearly a whole day for this preview thread, having to read you lot sooking about a game to some plastic entity

I think you lot will fire up for an MCG clash, unfortunately the conditions will be shite

What game against some plastic entity? Last I checked, this is the round 1 game. Is there a game before Round 1?

Now you're talking!

Think it's time we spanking you, we have been on the end of round 1 losses (and bloody draw) for far too long

Dusty retired yet?
Spank us? Where did you get that from? When I look at the ladder, I see two top 8 sides. Carlton hanging on to 4th by about 2%, and Richmond in 8th.

Isn't it the case that top 8 sides usually play a good game that seesaws?

Spank us? Where did you get that from? When I look at the ladder, I see two top 8 sides. Carlton hanging on to 4th by about 2%, and Richmond in 8th.

Isn't it the case that top 8 sides usually play a good game that seesaws?

Valid point, but I still want to see a spanking!!

Now, which aging Tiger comes in for the game?

Dusty and Nank seem likely
Hopefully Lynch as well but hard to really judge

Probably means Sampson Ryan is out and maybe one of the other talls but not sure who

Well, we might get Nankervis, Lynch, and Dusty back from the veterans if injuries don't hold them back.

While we’re talking about this game, do you by any chance have Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay's mobile numbers? I’d like them to attend something for about 3 hours starting this Thursday at 7:30 pm. Tell them it is urgent. Any help would be appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, we might get Nankervis, Lynch, and Dusty back from the veterans if injuries don't hold them back.

While we’re talking about this game, do you by any chance have Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay's mobile numbers? I’d like them to attend something for about 3 hours starting this Thursday at 7:30 pm. Tell them it is urgent. Any help would be appreciated.

If Lynch comes in, I'd put Balta back, get Kosi/Ryan to chop out ruck to Nank

And get Bolton and Baker to rotate rather than wasting their time as full-time forwards

If Lynch comes in, I'd put Balta back, get Kosi/Ryan to chop out ruck to Nank

And get Bolton and Baker to rotate rather than wasting their time as full-time forwards
I kinda want Lefau to debut and replace them both. Ryan will probably be dropped regardless and Kosi had his good moments, but Lefau is a competitive beast IMO. Don't know how it would translate to AFL level, but I'd love to see it. He's 195cm, so he is pretty tall.

Lynch and Dusty in our forward line alongside him would markedly improve our forward line. Balta can then play in defence or more up the field. Nank resting forward/in the ruck and Naismith in the ruck.

Don't know how that mix will go, but it's just an idea to improve our forward line.

Booked it all in January, surely it can’t be worse than yesterday 😂
You sure you're a Tigers fan?

It can always be worse.

I kinda want Lefau to debut and replace them both. Ryan will probably be dropped regardless and Kosi had his good moments, but Lefau is a competitive beast IMO. Don't know how it would translate to AFL level, but I'd love to see it. He's 195cm, so he is pretty tall.

Lynch and Dusty in our forward line alongside him would markedly improve our forward line. Balta can then play in defence or more up the field. Nank resting forward/in the ruck and Naismith in the ruck.

Don't know how that mix will go, but it's just an idea to improve our forward line.
I can see Lefau going through some players this year, deadset unit

If you are dropping one of Ryan or Kosi, I'd keep Ryan, had upside, but think Kosi will improve

Where the hell is Cumberland?

So no Docherty, Weitering, Walsh, Martin, Motlop or Marchbank for the Blues while we should be full strength if Martin, Lynch and Nank come in as expected.

I don't expect a win, but I do expect never to play like that 1st half against the suns ever again. Cripps is a bit of a worry in the middle with the way our mids were bullied on the weekend and if Blues midfield get on top Curnow and Mackay will kick 10+.

Samson and Naismith out for Lynch and Nank are the easy selections. Balta 2nd ruck. Dusty for Banks, and I'd be giving McAuliffe a debut for Dow. Ross into the 22 for either Pickett or McIntosh.

I can see Lefau going through some players this year, deadset unit

If you are dropping one of Ryan or Kosi, I'd keep Ryan, had upside, but think Kosi will improve

Where the hell is Cumberland?
Wow, talk about opening a can of worms because this is a very sensitive topic on this board.

It all depends on who you ask. Some will say that he is exactly where he should be, running around the VFL until he learns to defend properly. Others will disagree, saying that he is kept out of the side for no good reason. I myself am a Cumberland fanboy, so I am with the disagreeing ones.

Anyway, it's up to him to work his way into the side from now on I guess. I hope he comes in this week tbh, but I don't know when we'll see him again unfortunately.

So no Docherty, Weitering, Walsh, Martin, Motlop or Marchbank for the Blues while we should be full strength if Martin, Lynch and Nank come in as expected.

I don't expect a win, but I do expect never to play like that 1st half against the suns ever again. Cripps is a bit of a worry in the middle with the way our mids were bullied on the weekend and if Blues midfield get on top Curnow and Mackay will kick 10+.

Samson and Naismith out for Lynch and Nank are the easy selections. Balta 2nd ruck. Dusty for Banks, and I'd be giving McAuliffe a debut for Dow. Ross into the 22 for either Pickett or McIntosh.
That would be amazing, seeing McAuliffe debut on the big stage.

Also, why in the world was Ross a sub? Didn't make sense when I realised, and certainly didn't make sense after the game. He looked good and collected 10 disposals.

You finally make the finals and now this lol. Wait until Carlton win their next flag. Before you say it I don’t care you have more premierships then us ;)

Don't be that person TT, I was wandering in here when we were crap. We finally start rising and you start feigning a rebuild
Well deserved last year and will no doubt start favs this week. Good to have footy back in Melbourne as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back